American IPA JunIPA - Ginned IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaWhip

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 090 San Diego Super Yeast
Yeast Starter
1L starter made with real wort from this brew
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
70ish
Color
SRM ~9. Nice orange, see pic.
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 (pressure fermentation)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
n/a
Tasting Notes
Smooth IPA, a little mosaic pop chased by a hint of gin.
The first IPA of my own recipe that I have actually liked and will brew again, so thought I'd share.

8lb Pilsner (56.3%)
4lb Red-X (14.1%)
2lb Maris Otter (28.2%)
0.2lb Carafoam (1.4%)

Mashed at 150 for 60 min, 1.5 qt/lb

1oz simcoe 60 min
1.5oz Sterling at 5 min (let stand another 10 minutes after flameout before begin cooling)
1.5oz Mosaic at 5 min (let stand another 10 minutes after flameout before begin cooling)
1oz Mosaic dry hopped when transferring to serving keg
Soaked 1 cup of juniper berries in 1 qt of gin for ~3 weeks. Add 200mls of this gin extract (no berries) at bottling.

Non-IPA drinkers loved it. It's really smooth and the hops compliment the gin well. I tasted before adding the gin and really didn't like the simcoe in it, but gin balanced it out well. I was really nervous when tasting samples, but the last few gravity points and the juniper extract/dry hops made all the difference.

Due to timeline restrictions, I crashed for 24 hours as soon as it hit expected final gravity, then kegged (10 days after pitching, already carbed with pressure fermentation) and started drinking it immediately. Day 3 in the serving keg it hit it's stride and the dry hops really started poking through and the gin smoothed out. A great fresh beer. Keg kicked with the help of friends and family on day 5.

By day 3 in the serving keg it had cleared fairly well. A longer cold crash before racking would have helped more, but I didn't have time. The pic was taken right after transporting the keg back home after Christmas, so it got pretty cloudy again.

junipa-67882.jpg

Will this work for bottle conditioning? I'm worried the alcohol from the gin may kill the yeast if I add it at secondary.

Should be fine. There really isn't much gin/juniper extract so there shouldn't be a problem for the yeast. By my calculations the ABV went from about 6.8 before the gin to about 7.1 after. I would recommend adding it to the bottling bucket instead of secondary though. Really no reason to secondary at all as quickly as this beer goes and as good as it was fresh, but that's your call. If it were me I would do primary until you confirm FG, then bottle and start drinking as soon as it is carbed.

Back