jumping into a pile of grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thakaz

Reaction score
I decided to jump into the deep end head first and skip the extract and partial mash brewing for all grain recipes. I'm working on my 3rd batch right now, and each has gotten a little better each time.

1st Batch - Honey Brown: Total failure, I didn't mash at the right temp and my yeast over attenuated. Ended up with a final gravity of 1.001 and 7%ABV, needless to say, it was terrible and most of it ended up down the drain.

2nd Batch - a BIG, dark saison: Very tasty when I sampled for gravity readings (OG was at 1.079), but I used 3724 without doing enough research before hand for this temperamental mistress. It stuck at 1.034 after 20 days, after my first brew, I was afraid to pitch in some champagne yeast and over attenuate another brew. IBU's are in the low 40's to balance the maltyness, so I bottled it and am letting it age for next couple months before I try one. I may put a 12 pack away for a year to see how it ages.

3rd batch - a Blonde: Picked up my grain bill, hops, and yeast today. Time for the KISS method on this batch so I can develop a good process on a simple beer before I try to get much more complicated beers (that saison) perfected.

I would be a little worried that you made some serious bottle bombs with that dark saison. It was likely just stalled, but not finished fermenting. It will probably try to finish in the bottle with the fact yeast was roused and since you primed. I would put that one in a rubbermaid container for safety if it was me...

KISS is a good way to go on your first few AG's. Practice makes perfect, and you'll get better with each batch. :mug:

I want to try the all grain to just made my mash tun . Going to buy a kit first if it works I will buy some bulk grain

Thanks for the heads up Stauff, I'll put the bottles in a storage tub with a top on it.

Back