Jumped in with both feet! First brew- IIPA SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wozniaka

Reaction score
So I decided I wanted to brew after running through a couple of batches with my freinds... And that I want to go from Zero to Full Grain in six months or less! I have purchased all of the equipment (except mashtun), and am planning my first brew (from extract) this weekend.

I found a recipe for an Imperial IPA SMaSH using only Maris Otter and Galaxy Hops! Sounds deleicious, I can picture what I want from it in my head!

However, the recipe is Full Grain... http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/100148/smash-galaxy , I ordered 12lbs of Maris Otter liquid extract and 12oz of Galaxy pellets.

My questions are: for converting 15lbs of Maris Otter to extract should I use a .75 conversion scale (11.25lbs) of extract? It seems like a lot, but it is an Imperial IPA... Does that sound like a reasonable amount?

Also, I know the recipe is all malt (no grains) but I worry about a cloying sweet finish... But Maris Otter is not overly sweet and there are no "Crystal" malts... So would anyone reading this adjunct with a sugar to lighten the body and crisp-up the bite? If so, I have a Clear Belgian syrup that is supposed to impart no flavor. If so, how much would you use?

I have an idea to finish the boil with a dose of White Labs Servomyces yeast nutrient and WPL001 Cali Ale Yeast (with starter), so I am confident it will ferment regardless of OG... Hopefully! lol

Almost last question: Should I oxygenate the wort? I purchased an airpump to try and achieve 8ppm, but I worry if I should aerate the due to it's high gravity as it may result in the formation of more esters, though to the best of my knowledge (limited) WPL001 is supposed to be a very clean yeast...

Finally: If I do use the full 11.25lbs of extract and this "IS" slightly more than the 15lb grain equivelent, can I just increase my hops to 10-12oz to re-balance? Or am I treading in unkown waters?
I do want a very "hop-forward" final product and am debating in changing the hop additions slightly to get a stronger boquet.

Thanks to everyone in advance!
Cheers!:tank:

I trust you, but I already purchased the extract and am trying to keep my first 3-5 relatively simple... lol

MO LME supposedly gives you 1.036 ppt/lb which works out to 1.081 OG for 5 gallons with 11.25lb or extract. So you're good there according to your linked recipe. With an ABV this high you want some sweetness to counter the alcohol or you'll have jet fuel. I would either try just the extract alone or sub one lb of your Belgian candi syrup if you like. Either way it'll be fine.

The hop schedule is already quite hoppy, I wouldn't change it. Brew it once and adjust from there for next time.

AERATE! With big beers you need to aerate for good attenuation, otherwise the yeast may stall. Don't worry about oxygen since it's only a problem *after* the yeast have started fermenting. During the growth phase right after pitching they consume all the available oxygen in the wort for reproduction. Oxygen after this point will begin to stale the beer.

Also if you can pitch 2 vials of yeast. Big beers want more yeast to help ensure lower FG.

That will probably be way too much galaxy hops. Read other threads on their over powering strength.

Latest posts

Back