New England IPA Julius clone (BYO magazine)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my grain bill for this one today. I will be doing a 10 gallon batch Saturday and am using Omega Conan. I will debate changing up the hops somewhat, but may leave them as is other than using apollo for bittering. I was thinking maybe a little mandarina to see how that affects it, but I haven't used that much.

Some of this will be drank fresh and the other keg will have to sit around for a little while (possibly a month) before it gets tapped. I am not sure how long will be too long on that, but I am not worried about haziness on the second one.

Sometimes I change up the dry hop on a split batch, but will probably stick to the same on this one unless I do mandarina in one of them.

I got my grain bill for this one today. I will be doing a 10 gallon batch Saturday and am using Omega Conan. I will debate changing up the hops somewhat, but may leave them as is other than using apollo for bittering. I was thinking maybe a little mandarina to see how that affects it, but I haven't used that much.

Some of this will be drank fresh and the other keg will have to sit around for a little while (possibly a month) before it gets tapped. I am not sure how long will be too long on that, but I am not worried about haziness on the second one.

Sometimes I change up the dry hop on a split batch, but will probably stick to the same on this one unless I do mandarina in one of them.

If you haven't done it I would do one like the recipe says and treat the other one differently. Then post the results here! Good luck.

Good to know. This recipe is from BYO magazine, and mine came out very good. Not as "juicy", maybe because of the yeast?

I'll make another NE IPA with Imperial yeast and see (I think it's also their own strain).
I did an attempted Julius Clone recipe using the Imperial A38 Juice. turned out really well in terms of taste, drinkability, and nose. Like yours, lacked in color. There is a brewing group (trinity) that has been perfecting a Julius clone for a while (https://trinitybrewers.com/brews/ipa/julius-clone-treehouse-brewing-ipa/) who recommends a combination of 3 yeasts with a Primary of S-04. I love the products I am getting though so I am just going to keep trying. Im going to try an exact duplicate of thier method after my attempt tomorrow using same grain bill but, 1318 yeast. Maybe with a hint of 04.

I brewed a clone of this beer and after a month in the keg, it cleared. It is nearly crystal clear now. Is this typical of a kegged NEIPA?

I brewed a clone of this beer and after a month in the keg, it cleared. It is nearly crystal clear now. Is this typical of a kegged NEIPA?

Mine stay pretty hazy (not cloudy, necessarily), but I use more oats or other flakes grain and a good bit more hops.

depends on a lot of things. Things that add clarity to beer.
Whirlflock, Irish moss, isinglass of course
Fly sparging adds clarity, did you introduce oxygen or not (fermenting process and transfer process)
Did you cold crash, did you filter when transferring, were there temp changes in your fermentation, did you use a high flocculation yeast? These are all aspects that affect clarity. I’m not even naming all of them.

I did an attempted Julius Clone recipe using the Imperial A38 Juice. turned out really well in terms of taste, drinkability, and nose. Like yours, lacked in color. There is a brewing group (trinity) that has been perfecting a Julius clone for a while (https://trinitybrewers.com/brews/ipa/julius-clone-treehouse-brewing-ipa/) who recommends a combination of 3 yeasts with a Primary of S-04. I love the products I am getting though so I am just going to keep trying. Im going to try an exact duplicate of thier method after my attempt tomorrow using same grain bill but, 1318 yeast. Maybe with a hint of 04.
FYI, I have been brewing the Julius clone per the Trinity Collaboration recipe and it has turned out very good. The only change I would like to make, if I knew how, would be to produce a fuller mouth feel. I have not been able to get my FG to finish as high as theirs as mine always settles at .009. My next batch I will mash at 158 and see if that does it. Although all the NEIPAs I brew I find myself wishing the mouth feel was more pronounced.

FYI, I have been brewing the Julius clone per the Trinity Collaboration recipe and it has turned out very good. The only change I would like to make, if I knew how, would be to produce a fuller mouth feel. I have not been able to get my FG to finish as high as theirs as mine always settles at .009. My next batch I will mash at 158 and see if that does it. Although all the NEIPAs I brew I find myself wishing the mouth feel was more pronounced.

What does your water profile look like?

What does your water profile look like?
Start w/ RO water then add salts to achieve
Sulfate-150
Chloride-120
Calcium-35
Magnesium-30
Sodium-52
Add lactic to get mash ph of 5.3
Pretty much what the recipe recommends although I could not get the Calcium to 20 as they called for. They didn't list sodium either but there I couldn't figure a way to get those numbers without it.

Start w/ RO water then add salts to achieve
Sulfate-150
Chloride-120
Calcium-35
Magnesium-30
Sodium-52
Add lactic to get mash ph of 5.3
Pretty much what the recipe recommends although I could not get the Calcium to 20 as they called for. They didn't list sodium either but there I couldn't figure a way to get those numbers without it.

Here is what I've been happy with based on talks with Scott Janish
Water Profile: Ca 139 | Mg 5 | Na 0 | SO4 102 | Cl 169

Gypsum - .55g per gallon
Calcium Chloride 1g per gallon
Epsom - .2g per gallon
(for mash/sparge water)

Soft mouthfeel. I do add ~1lb of lactose per 5 gallons as a 5 minute addition. It does not add much sweetness to the beer but definitely adds body.

Last edited:
Water Profile: Ca 239 | Mg 5 | Na 0 | SO4 102 | Cl 169

Gypsum - .55g per gallon
Epsom - .2g per gallon
(for mash/sparge water)

Soft mouthfeel. I do add ~1lb of lactose per 5 gallons as a 5 minute addition. It does not add much sweetness to the beer but definitely adds body.
Thanks, I have been considering using some lactose to increase body so I will likely try that. I do find it interesting that your calcium level and Trinity Brewers recommended level of 20 is at total opposite ends of the spectrum.

I would rather add maltodextrin than lactose. 1 pound for a 5gal batch is a lot IMO. That's what I use when I make a dessert stout and it is very noticeable.

Water Profile: Ca 239 | Mg 5 | Na 0 | SO4 102 | Cl 169

Gypsum - .55g per gallon
Epsom - .2g per gallon
(for mash/sparge water)

Is that how you made the latte stout in your profile pic? Seems like a great idea, mmm latte stout.

Being a relatively new home brewer, I have one question regarding this clone from Trinity. As far as blending the yeasts, is this done by weight? So for the 11.5g Safale packets just using the appropriate weight amount from each packet based on the ratio, blend and then create a starter from the blend?

I love Julius and am excited to try to brew this one soon.

Being a relatively new home brewer, I have one question regarding this clone from Trinity. As far as blending the yeasts, is this done by weight? So for the 11.5g Safale packets just using the appropriate weight amount from each packet based on the ratio, blend and then create a starter from the blend?

I love Julius and am excited to try to brew this one soon.
Yes it is done by weight, use the 11.5 g pack of 04 for the 92% then 5% WB06 and 3% T58 (for 6G batch). I have not rehydrated or made a starter just dump onto surface of cooled wort in fermentor.

Thanks, I have been considering using some lactose to increase body so I will likely try that. I do find it interesting that your calcium level and Trinity Brewers recommended level of 20 is at total opposite ends of the spectrum.

Whoops mistyped the Ca, suppose to read 129ppm, I edited my post. But I've played around quite a bit with water in my NEIPAs. Was adding lots of salts, little amount of salts, gone up to 300ppm on SO4, then flopped it with Cl. Settled on this. Sorry again for the mistype!

I would rather add maltodextrin than lactose. 1 pound for a 5gal batch is a lot IMO. That's what I use when I make a dessert stout and it is very noticeable.

I have some maltodextrin on hand, have yet to use it. I am just personally enjoying the way my NEIPAs are coming out (very Other Half brewing like).

Whoops mistyped the Ca, suppose to read 129ppm, I edited my post. But I've played around quite a bit with water in my NEIPAs. Was adding lots of salts, little amount of salts, gone up to 300ppm on SO4, then flopped it with Cl. Settled on this. Sorry again for the mistype!

I have some maltodextrin on hand, have yet to use it. I am just personally enjoying the way my NEIPAs are coming out (very Other Half brewing like).
Very interesting considering that Trinity Collab. has their Ca levels at 20 ppm.

I plugged the 11gal Trinity recipe into brewers friend and got the following for a 5.5gal batch conversion. Can anyone comment on the output with a little more experience than myself? Let me know if anything looks off. Thanks!
Julius 5gal.JPG

I plugged the 11gal Trinity recipe into brewers friend and got the following for a 5.5gal batch conversion. Can anyone comment on the output with a little more experience than myself? Let me know if anything looks off. Thanks!View attachment 579977
I make this and just half Trinity's 11gal amounts but keep the Dextrose @ 8oz. I end up with between 5.25 and 5.75 gal in fermentor.

Back