New England IPA Julius clone (BYO magazine)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do glass carboy.
Throw the first dryhop pellets in at day 4.
2nd dryhop in keg with strained dip tube at day 10.
Closed transfer to serving keg and force carb on day 14

BrewBuckets by Ss for me. Easy direct transfer to keg with no oxygen pickup.

I always put a blanket of co2 in the recieving vessel (keg or secondary glass carboy) Then I use a carboy cap installed on the glass carboy I am transferring from, with a ss racking cane in the center hole and co2 hooked up on the other. Put a little pressure to start the siphon and let it go. I haven't had an issue with oxidation with any other of my brews. Is there a specific concern of why I should be more worried about this brew?

I'm really thinking galaxy instead of simcoe. Just did one basically subbing out the simcoe and I'm getting that pineapply flavor I get in the treehouses.
Also thinking of lowering the turbinado %

I always put a blanket of co2 in the recieving vessel (keg or secondary glass carboy) Then I use a carboy cap installed on the glass carboy I am transferring from, with a ss racking cane in the center hole and co2 hooked up on the other. Put a little pressure to start the siphon and let it go. I haven't had an issue with oxidation with any other of my brews. Is there a specific concern of why I should be more worried about this brew?

The concern is the amount of hops and dry hops. Oxygen kills the beer so quickly if exposed to outside elements. Your process seems to eliminate that and should yield good results.

I'm really thinking galaxy instead of simcoe. Just did one basically subbing out the simcoe and I'm getting that pineapply flavor I get in the treehouses.
Also thinking of lowering the turbinado %

I don't think there's a substitute for simcoe...but I did it just now with grapefruit experimental. Should be ready in 3 weeks.

Used experimental grapefruit in this one. 1070 OG, smooth as hell.

Grapefruit Julius.jpg

Can someone tell me what the Hop substitute is for using pellet instead of the Hop Shot for bittering. Thanks. Going to brew this probably tonight

Can someone tell me what the Hop substitute is for using pellet instead of the Hop Shot for bittering. Thanks. Going to brew this probably tonight

From their webpage:

"Hop Shots are CO2 hop extracts that are the clean and efficient way to bitter your beer. This hop extract is made up of 60% Columbus (or other CTZ) hops for bittering and 40% blended aroma varieties. It is extremely concentrated (current batch is 61.1% AA) and is the better way to bitter."

So did 1 oz citra at 45 and 4.5 oz steeped for 20 min at 140. Dumped a half-gallon of wort getting overzealous squeezing my bag. So scaled down a half oz.

I am going to brew this again this weekend. I was thinking about not doing any bittering hops at all. But keep going back and fourth on substituting something in for the hop shot instead... I really didn't like how hard that stuff was to clean after haha. I was just thinking about Citra yesterday as a substitute, so glad someone asked and you got an answer.

I'm also going to up the oats a bit to try to get a creamier body this time around. I'll post back my results.

**As for my first batch from earlier in this thread, the biggest problem is that it became too carbed. I am thinking since I bottled it a week early the priming sugar may have brought it down those last few gravity points in the the bottle. The flavor and body is still there underneath the c02, so that much I am happy about.. The color has shifted, but I would not say it's brown swamp water. Hoping to tweak a couple things and get a better product this time around.

I am going to brew this again this weekend. I was thinking about not doing any bittering hops at all. But keep going back and fourth on substituting something in for the hop shot instead... I really didn't like how hard that stuff was to clean after haha. I was just thinking about Citra yesterday as a substitute, so glad someone asked and you got an answer.

I'm also going to up the oats a bit to try to get a creamier body this time around. I'll post back my results.

**As for my first batch from earlier in this thread, the biggest problem is that it became too carbed. I am thinking since I bottled it a week early the priming sugar may have brought it down those last few gravity points in the the bottle. The flavor and body is still there underneath the c02, so that much I am happy about.. The color has shifted, but I would not say it's brown swamp water. Hoping to tweak a couple things and get a better product this time around.

I used 4mL hop shot, not difficult to clean at all. I made a triple IPA with 45mL hop shot, I needed acid to clean that one. Never again.

I used 4mL hop shot, not difficult to clean at all. I made a triple IPA with 45mL hop shot, I needed acid to clean that one. Never again.

haha. Yeah I used 8ml according to the recipe. I clean/scrubbed it over and over and I still feel like it wasn't back to normal. Cool idea, but a damn mess.

Anyone have any recommendations for a substitute for the malted oats? I ordered some but I am afraid it's not going to get here by my brew day, so was going to pick up a pound of something as a replacement from my LHBS in case it doesn't arrive in time.

Brewed my 2nd batch of this on Saturday. Went with 1lb flaked oats, and 8oz on all the 5oz additions, and did a 60 minute boil of 1oz Amarillo instead of the hop shot. Pitched 2nd generation Conan yeast.

OG was 1.060 on 5.5 gallons (including a little kettle trub?). It's been very active the first two days, just like last time. I'll add my dry hops tomorrow, then I'm going to do a second dry hop of 1oz both Cita and Mosaic on day 9 or 10, plan on bottling on day 13.

I may lower the amount of priming sugar this time around.. Last time was 5oz for probably 4.5-4.75 gallons, and my bottles were too carbed after 3 weeks in my opinion. Brewing this batch went FAR easier than last time without the tiny errors. Aside from the OG being a little lower than I wanted, but I also wanted to squeeze out 5.5-5.75 gallons this time. I am perfectly okay with the lower gravity this time to compare to the last batch.

^^ what are you hoping for throwing the dry hops in on day 3. My plan was day 10 and bottle on 13th

^^ what are you hoping for throwing the dry hops in on day 3. My plan was day 10 and bottle on 13th

Actually, had it backwards... Adding these on day 3: 2.50 oz Citra, 2.00 oz Mosaic, 1.50 oz Simcoe.

On Day 10 adding: 1oz Simcoe and 1oz Citra

Its out. Got 5.5 oz citra on thursday, today is saturday. Used hop sack over cane, worked nice. But my racking cane sucks and broke so only got 4 gallons. It tastes like grapefruit juice. It has a bitter (?) taste that kind of makes it hard to drink and hits in the back of the mouth. I am hoping it's just some junk I pulled up from the bottom or maybe some hop particles. I'm going to smash that racking cane into dust, and throw it in the trash can like Tinkerbell.

Ps it looks more like lemonade then oj too. Figured it was due to cane sugar v turbinado and shorter boil.

Its out. Got 5.5 oz citra on thursday, today is saturday. Used hop sack over cane, worked nice. But my racking cane sucks and broke so only got 4 gallons. It tastes like grapefruit juice. It has a bitter (?) taste that kind of makes it hard to drink and hits in the back of the mouth. I am hoping it's just some junk I pulled up from the bottom or maybe some hop particles. I'm going to smash that racking cane into dust, and throw it in the trash can like Tinkerbell.

Ps it looks more like lemonade then oj too. Figured it was due to cane sugar v turbinado and shorter boil.

Super hoppy beers can have that bitterness in the beginning. I try a bit every few days and after 1-2 weeks it's perfect.

Post a picture!

Treehouse site says 6.5 percent and 1.6oz per gallon. This recipe has more of each?! Anyways getting better. I fear i racked trub and a little yeast, but hope its just like you said dr and mellows. I think 1 oz was to much because the sweetness and juiciness needs less bitter to balance, imo. It is super juicy and looks and tastes like pineapple juice.

View attachment 1499696805276.jpg

Hopshot is sold by the 5ml syringe. This recipe calls for 8oz.... If you convert oz to ml, this comes out to 236 ml.... Is this a typo? How many ml hop shot are you guys adding?

Edit: I see this is already answered in page 2.

Hopshot is sold by the 5ml syringe. This recipe calls for 8oz.... If you convert oz to ml, this comes out to 236 ml.... Is this a typo? How many ml hop shot are you guys adding?

Edit: I see this is already answered in page 2.

I think I only used 4mL the last time.

I subbed the hopshot with 1oz Amarillo for my 2nd batch and am much happier with the results so far.

Brewing this the 2nd time around turned out much better... No mistakes haha.

Back