Juicy IPA Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vin8n1

Reaction score
Just finished making a Juicy IPA. Turned out wonderfully. Huge flavors and aromas of peach, apricot, and orange! Attenuated well but still had pleasant sweetness and mildly creamy mouthfeel. Just enough IBUs to be balanced but not noticeably bitter.

Extract
5.5 gal
3 gal boil

1lb English Oat Malt (20 min steep @ 150*F)
6lbs Gold LME (30 min boil)
3.15lbs Gold DME (10 min boil)
5 oz sugar (10 min boil)

Boil
1.5oz Magnum @30 min
Whirlpool (@150-170* for 30 min)
1oz Centennial
1oz Citra
1oz Mosaic
Dry Hop (2 days)
1oz Citra
2oz Mosaic
1oz Amarillo

Fermented w US-05 @ 70*F for 5 days
Bottle conditioned 5 days @ 70*F

IBU: 40
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.014
ABV: 4.8%
IMG_9968.jpg

Interesting brewing and short time to the glass. I hope you will consider posting in the "I brewed a favorite recipe today" thread in this forum.

I'll bet it was great, but the OG of 1.051 just seems a bit low for 9.5 pounds of fermentables.....I would have thought more in the 1.061 range......

Teufelhunde,

I agree, I also expected it higher. It was predicted more in that 1.062 range. Maybe my hydrometer was off? I thought I adjusted for the temperature difference?

Teufelhunde,

I agree, I also expected it higher. It was predicted more in that 1.062 range. Maybe my hydrometer was off? I thought I adjusted for the temperature difference?
Is it possible the hydrometer reads incorrectly? On mine, the rolled up paper inside the skinny tube is not in the proper place. I checked it in pure (RO filtered) known temperature water and found that I need to add .018 to my reading for the readings to be correct. Temperature correction for just a few degrees really makes diddly of a difference.

YMMV

Lon

Teufelhunde,

How big was the temperature difference? I don't think the correction factors are as reliable when you get really far off, so if you were measuring at 140 or something, that could be part of it.

Also, how sure are you of the volumes?

How big was the temperature difference? I don't think the correction factors are as reliable when you get really far off, so if you were measuring at 140 or something, that could be part of it.

Also, how sure are you of the volumes?

Temp was around 100F
And good point, i will keep a closer eye on the exact volumes i achieve, could be the issue

Just finished making a Juicy IPA. Turned out wonderfully. Huge flavors and aromas of peach, apricot, and orange! Attenuated well but still had pleasant sweetness and mildly creamy mouthfeel. Just enough IBUs to be balanced but not noticeably bitter.

Extract
5.5 gal
3 gal boil

1lb English Oat Malt (20 min steep @ 150*F)
6lbs Gold LME (30 min boil)
3.15lbs Gold DME (10 min boil)
5 oz sugar (10 min boil)

Boil
1.5oz Magnum @30 min
Whirlpool (@150-170* for 30 min)
1oz Centennial
1oz Citra
1oz Mosaic
Dry Hop (2 days)
1oz Citra
2oz Mosaic
1oz Amarillo

Fermented w US-05 @ 70*F for 5 days
Bottle conditioned 5 days @ 70*F

IBU: 40
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.014
ABV: 4.8%
View attachment 745711
Pardon my lack of knowledge, but is it correct to say that there is a 20 minute steep followed by 30 minutes total boil time?
Also 3 gallon boil but 5.5 gallon final volume? Is the LME making up the difference in volume? Thanks

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but is it correct to say that there is a 20 minute steep followed by 30 minutes total boil time?
Looks like
  1. a 20 min steep 1lb English Oat Malt, then
  2. a 30 min boil (Magnum hops, some of the extract at start of boil, some at end), then
  3. a 30 min hop stand (at 170 - 150)
3 gallon boil but 5.5 gallon final volume? Is the LME making up the difference in volume?
Add (perhaps chilled) top-up water after the hop stand to get to 5.5 gal.

Looks like
  1. a 20 min steep 1lb English Oat Malt, then
  2. a 30 min boil (Magnum hops, some of the extract at start of boil, some at end), then
  3. a 30 min hop stand (at 170 - 150)

Add (perhaps chilled) top-up water after the hop stand to get to 5.5 gal.
Thanks, that makes sense.
Related question: I’ve added cold water post-boil before to extract/mini mash recipes in order to cool the wort faster and bring up to volume. I’ve begun wondering if that might potentially add contamination to the wort prior to fermenting. I haven’t had a problem with it in the past but I wondered what the thinking on that was.

@toxdoc49 : I don't use top-up water very often; when I do, my source is bottled RO/distilled water. IIRC, there is a concern with using ice (added to the the wort) for cooling - as the ice can potentially pick up off flavors / contaminates from the freezer.

Thanks, that makes sense.
Related question: I’ve added cold water post-boil before to extract/mini mash recipes in order to cool the wort faster and bring up to volume. I’ve begun wondering if that might potentially add contamination to the wort prior to fermenting. I haven’t had a problem with it in the past but I wondered what the thinking on that was.
Do you normally drink that same water that you used to top off the wort?
Does that water often make you sick when you drink it?

Tap water will have few bacteria in it normally and you will be adding billions of yeast cells shortly and they will propagate at least as quickly as the bacteria and will soon create conditions that will stop the bacteria from propagating.

If you are worrying about the possible contamination you should stop.

@toxdoc49 : I don't use top-up water very often; when I do, my source is bottled RO/distilled water. IIRC, there is a concern with using ice (added to the the wort) for cooling - as the ice can potentially pick up off flavors / contaminates from the freezer.
So many be better to use full volume boil? I’ve used top up water in the past but want to avoid contamination.

So...how many times in the past did you get contaminated beer from top of
So...how many times in the past did you get contaminated beer from top off water?
None that I could tell. Just a question. I see it in recipe kit instructions for extract recipes, maybe it isn’t a big deal - I suppose for this recipe that would be appropriate. It would also help cool the wort post - boil.

With extract it doesn't make a bit of difference in the beer except in the color of the beer produced. If you do a full volume boil the extract will likely not darken during the boil or not as much.

If you were doing this as all grain, then you would want to sparge so you extracted more of the sugars from the bunch of grain and this would then bring your total wort up to the "pre-boil" amount which would then be boiled down to the amount you want into the fermenter which then concentrates the wort, raising the OG to what you want.

I have to substitute some DME for a grain that was not available for my recipe. Is it best to proceed using just the grain for mashing and then add the DME during the boil? Maybe about 30 minutes before the end of the boil? No point in adding DME during mashing, so I thought adding it during the boil would make better sense.

I have to substitute some DME for a grain that was not available for my recipe. Is it best to proceed using just the grain for mashing and then add the DME during the boil? Maybe about 30 minutes before the end of the boil? No point in adding DME during mashing, so I thought adding it during the boil would make better sense.
The DME does not have to be boiled. I'd suggest you wait to after the boil.

Back