Judge my IPA recipe prease!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klug

Reaction score
I've made this a few times and it always turns out amazing!

maris otter malt 12 lb
carapils 1lb
crystal 60l 1lb
honey 1lb
flaked wheat .5lb
citra .50z 60 min
centennial .50z 60 min
citra 1oz 45min
citra .5oz 30min
centennial .50z 15 min
citra.5oz 10min
citra .5oz 5 min
amarillo 2oz dry hop

ringwood yeast

What do you think?

It sounds like you enjoy it. That's what is important. IMO, looks like a lot of crystal, a lot of honey malt and a lot of carapils. I would knock those down to around .25 lb of each. But, like I said, just my opinion.

I don't get the 45 & 30 minute additions. Seems like if you want the flavor and aroma from those hops, you should move them to later in the boil, and if you want the bitterness they ought to be included in the 60 minute additions. Where they are now, you are not getting full alpha acid utilization out of them, and also not getting much in the way of aroma or flavor contribution.

klug said:
I've made this a few times and it always turns out amazing!

maris otter malt 12 lb
carapils 1lb
crystal 60l 1lb
honey 1lb
flaked wheat .5lb
citra .50z 60 min
centennial .50z 60 min
citra 1oz 45min
citra .5oz 30min
centennial .50z 15 min
citra.5oz 10min
citra .5oz 5 min
amarillo 2oz dry hop

ringwood yeast

What do you think?

Honey malt or honey ? Honey is going to give you more of an imperial IPA...honey malt is too much ...it's strong stuff...should be 5-10% of your total grist....go 8oz carapils ....1lb is too much....Never had MO as my base for IPA but should be fine

Save the Citra for the end and dry hop...Citra is all aroma IMO....so using it for your bitterness is kind of a waste....use centennial to bitter ....Citra Amarillo late additions dry hop

If its honey, I like it. I agree on the carapils reduction to about 0.5 lbs. I would also knock the crystal down to at least half. The Maris Otter should be nice though. I would definitely move all the citra to the last 10 min and probably dry hop with that as well, maybe along with the amarillo. With that I would probably bump up the 10 min centennial addition to at least 1 oz. Now that I've changed your recipe into something completely different, I should say that I think your recipe will produce a fine and drinkable beer ;)

Thanks for the input! It's actual honey btw not honey malt. I think I'll make two batches this time to see the difference between them and go from there. Thanks again!

It looks a little too sweet for me, and not enough late hops flavor for my taste. The MO would be a bit too malty/bready for an American IPA, especially with those character malts in it.

But if you love it, that's the important thing. Even if it's not exactly to style for an IPA, but you enjoy it then it's a good IPA.

Back