Johnson Controls TC-9102-HV Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiziks

Reaction score
So I got a johnson dual stage controller (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057APR3I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) to hook up to a keezer that I am making. I got it wired up today and was testing it. All is well and it's working as expected except for one problem. The relay that is set to Cool won't allow me to set it below 50*F. What gives?

I checked the manual and manufacturers website and don't see any way to change this. I noticed that the "Heat" relay can go all the way down to 0*F which seems odd to me.

The manual says that this controller supports a temperature range of -40*F to 300*F so I'm hoping this isn't a bad unit or something.

Like I said, the relays switch on and off just fine, but I can't figure out how to get the cool side temperature to the correct level.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a dual-stage controller, there is a relationship between the settings so that either one or the other is active at a given setpoint. If your heat setting is at or near 50, it won't allow it to cool below that point. This MAY be what you're seeing, but more info on how you have all of the other parameters would be helpful.

Also, if I recall correctly, Johnson & Control Products are two different controller companies...

Control Products and Johnson are two different companies.

The reason you can't change the setpoint below 0 or above 100 is because you need to change your High and Low Limits (HSL and LSL) in the controller. The limits allow you to basically "Lock out" the controller so nobody can walk up and change your setpoint to some insane temperatures (Kids, pissed wife.. etc). Once you change the limits you are able to set it up however you'd like. I love my TC-9102 because it lets you change so many setting/parameters... can do just about anything with this thing....and I've never had a problem with it.

Back