Johnson A419 Sensor Diameter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis2010

Reaction score
Having trouble finding specs for the max diameter of the temp sensor included with the Johnson A419.

Any one have one who can confirm for me?

My hope is that it will fit inside a corny keg dip tube which is about 1/4".

Hi, yes the sensor end is 1/4" OD. The dip tubes ID seem to be slightly larger. I stuck one in just now to confirm. Slides freely down the tube until it arrived at the bend in the dip tube, which it did not pass due to length of the metal tip sensor.

Way cool. Thanks much for responding.

I want to use a modified liquid side dip tube as a thermowell. So the probe fitting makes this dead easy.

Finally made use of this info today and prototyped a temp controlled keg for fermentation.

I discovered that not only does the probe fit in a standard dip tube, but the lead cable fits thru the poppet valve hole in a ball lock gas post. This makes building a thermowell really straight forward.

I installed a flat oring inside the gas post which fit the ID of the gas post and the OD of the probe cable. When then post is tightened this compresses the oring and forms a seal. A modified dip tube becomes the thermowell.

I set the SP on the A419 for the temp I want the wort, but I also put an older manual Johnson control in series w the A419 till I get the differential set right. The probe for the manual tstat is inside the freezer and is set to the lowest temp I want in the freezer. This prevents getting the freezer too cold before the wort temp drops.

A few pics attached.

ForumRunner_20140119_193219.jpg

ForumRunner_20140119_193231.jpg

ForumRunner_20140119_193259.jpg

ForumRunner_20140119_193327.jpg

Latest posts

Back