Jerky Treats are killing your pets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindenMan

Reaction score
I have been watching the news and Jerky Treats have been killing dogs and cats. If it is made in China, throw it out!

I haven't fed her any of the JT's.. but, I have let her chew on the rawhide bones.. I think they were giving her stomach distress so quit using them. Now i just let her chew on deer antlers. I know where they come from.

If it's not lead & cadmium in childrens toys, it's melamine tainted gluten that goes into pet food, mystery tainted pet treats, counterfeit dvd's, etc, etc...
I say we say "Up yours China!" & ban ALL products made or assembeled in China.
At least until they get their $hit together & quit trying to poison us & our pets.
How would they like it if we sent them wheat tainted with the plague?
"Sorry 'bout that Mr. Ping, don't know how that got in there."
Regards, GF.

I thought this news came out about a year ago. The Chinese treats, purchased at Costco, made 1 of my dogs sick. I threw out everything dog related that was made in China.

I didn't know about any issues in the past but since I rescued my dog 2 years ago, I only bought treats made here. Someone nagged me about it and it just kind of stuck. I also worried about rawhide so she gets marrow bones and antlers.

If this happened a couple of years ago then why in the world hasn't something been done to help the situation from happening again?

I didn't know about any issues in the past but since I rescued my dog 2 years ago, I only bought treats made here. Someone nagged me about it and it just kind of stuck. I also worried about rawhide so she gets marrow bones and antlers.

If this happened a couple of years ago then why in the world hasn't something been done to help the situation from happening again?

I saw it on the internet or news, I thought more people knew about it. I don't recall pet deaths, just that it made them sick.

Because the working conditions in china are similar to factory farms, where most people still buy their beef, chicken, fruits, vegetables etc. from even though they're the biggest cause of food born illnesses. Because it's cheap. Capitalism trains you to want more of something so cheaper lets you get more, the same principle that's applied to your ipod is also applied to your food.

Because the working conditions in china are similar to factory farms, where most people still buy their beef, chicken, fruits, vegetables etc. from even though they're the biggest cause of food born illnesses. Because it's cheap. Capitalism trains you to want more of something so cheaper lets you get more, the same principle that's applied to your ipod is also applied to your food.

Capitalism has trained me to want to make money and be self suffecient, and to buy top quality products. You get what you pay for, so if you go to walmart and by crap made in China, expect to buy it again in less than a year because it is crap and will not last. It's damn near impossible to find products that are not made in China, but it can be done.

We used to buy Waggin' Trail chicken tender strips (jerky treats) at Sam's Club. They looked yummy and all "natural." Our dog loves those for a bedtime snack. We even think that's the only reason he lives for, at times.

After doing some research a year or 2 later we suspected those jerkies were coming from China, but not with 100% certainty. The country of origin is definitely not on the packaging, same as when you're buying say, honey. But we heeded to the advice given and stopped buying them.

To make up for the disaster of lost treats, we've been buying chicken tenders instead, 8-10 pounds every couple of months. I split them in half lengthwise and dehydrate them in the oven on cookie sheets. 3-4 hours later there is a good 1.5 pounds of chicken jerky. The dog is still wagging his tail for it. He only gets a small 1-1.5" piece, but it makes his day.

Sam's stopped selling those about a year ago, replacing them with a product I would not even consider buying for a dog. Fake bacon strips!

A few weeks back one of our dogs was off his feed and just looked miserable. Didn't see any problems with stool or any other symptoms, but now that I think back on it, it was the time I was giving them some of the jerky treats I found hidden in the cupboard. Now that they are gone he's back to his usually perk, playful self. Bugging our other dog Jasmine to play and just being a pest.

Corkeybstewart, I am sorry for your loss, I know what it's like to lose a four legged member of the family.
Brewtah, I too saw it on the news just recently, but not all of the 100's of deaths happened this year.This sh*t has been happening for quite a while, and it wasn't until the Veterinarian's put two and two together, and went public.

I just looked up the brand of treats I bought and the website says they are all natural and made in the US. Probably just a coincidence after all.

Apparently the FDA has heard anecdotal reports for 6 years with the chicken jerky treats. I heard about in 2012, if I remember right. I don't think they have an anwser yet as to cause?

Apparently the FDA has heard anecdotal reports for 6 years with the chicken jerky treats. I heard about in 2012, if I remember right. I don't think they have an anwser yet as to cause?

This is exactly it. The FDA cannot find anything in the treats that is possibly causing death. The treats appear normal to them.

It's simple enough though, if you think they might kill your dog, dont buy them.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

I may have gotten that link from a different discussion here. It works for us.

FWIW - Dog Food Advisor is one of those websites, much like PetMD, that I wish would just fall into the ocean and drown. The "information" is based on a lot of pseudoscience "nutrition" about what it's currently trendy to think is "good" and "bad" for dogs. A lot of their "5 Star Foods" have absolutely no science or research backing them, have no veterinary nutritionists in the payroll and, near as I can tell, are just making it up as they go along and doing what they think they can sell at high prices to well-meaning pet owners. Some of those foods that are highly recommended are, even worse, frozen or dehydrated raw diets. Excellent idea if you like hemorrhagic diarrhea. I generally don't. Anyway... that is another angry rant for another angry day.

Since no one has mentioned it here yet - the treats in question are causing primarily kidney disease - in particular fanconi-like syndromes for you medically or research inclined - and liver disease. Signs often include lethargy, GI distress, increased water intake, decreased appetite, and increased urination. GI distress seems to be one of the most commonly seen signs, but that may be because it's what owners notice most often.

Here's a link if you're interested (let me know if it doesn't work - I think I posted the right one): http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=29499&callshare=1

If you do have reason to suspect your pet is affected or has been affected, you can (and should) make a report to the FDA, or have your veterinarian make one for you.

I've no stake in the site. They're up front about basing their ratings heavily on the ingredient list on the packages. They don't claim to do any lab testing. It's a collection of dog foods and other people's research, some of which is further interpreted by a dentist.

They do a good job interpreting the information consumers are presented at the store.

I like them for the email alerts for food or treat recalls.

Back