Jaybird FB and Level 3 Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddskinnfan

Reaction score
@Jaybird

Dude, your FB and Level 3 stand are where it's at! I am new to electric brewing, and bottom-draining.

I took the plunge, without much information, to go for your setup. I previously had a hop spider and felt it was in the way and I was losing hop flavor/bitternes..

Needless to say, but I feel I must, your product was leaps and bounds better. After draining my BK, through my pump and plate chiller, to my fermenter, I looked inside and all I saw was break material, but wort had successfully passed.

After I pulled up the FB, I found another great discovery.. the Level 3 stand had about an inch, on both sides, of break material caked to it.

I used to just pump to fermenter, not thinking about all that crud. Now, I wonder how I ever did it without off flavors after long fermentation periods.

Anyway, bro, I just wanted to say way to go on an awesome product, and hella good customer support too!

Last edited:
@Jaybird

Dude, your FB and Level 3 stand are where it's at! I am new to electric brewing, and bottom-draining.

I took the plunge, without much information, to go for your setup. I previously had a hop spider and felt it was in the way and I was losing hop flavor/bitternes..

Needless to say, but I feel I must, your product was leaps and bounds better. After draining my BK, through my pump and plate chiller, to my fermenter, I looked inside and all I saw was break material, but wort had successfully passed.

After I pulled up the FB, I found another great discovery.. the Level 3 stand had about an inch, on both sides, of break material caked to it.

I used to just pump to fermenter, not thinking about all that crud. Now, I wonder how I ever did it without off flavors after long fermentation periods.

Anyway, bro, I just wanted to say way to go on an awesome product, and hella good customer support too!

WOW! Thank you man! I gotta tell ya, I was really blown away myself the first time I used it during testing. We used a BOATLOAD of hops and it flowed like MAGIC!

Thanks for the shout out!

Cheers
Jay

HA HA HA.. I really don't like that picture! They look SO much better than that these days! I think it is time for a picture upgrade..LOL

Cheers
Jay

IMG_20160301_094232695.jpg

@Jaybird,

We're you testing with pellet or whole when you tested with the "BOATLOAD"?

I did both. Going off memory here because it was quite a while ago.
First test was like 6-8 OZ of whole in a 10 gallon batch
we then did that same amount in pellet a few days later "thinking" there was NO way it was going to work. I actually thought it was going to stop flow, to be honest. I knew the 15" would stop some pellet hops on its own because I had been using one for that for years. Now this IS with a 15" false bottom mind you. The results were astounding. I did have to do a quick re-circulation to clear out the hops that got under there during the boil but after that it ran clear and stopped most all the pellet hops too. There was about an inch of hops on top of the 15" false bottom and it did slow down flow but it did finish the transfer without having to touch it. Keep in mind though, when we did recirculate, it did a small whirlpool so there was not a 1" thick layer of pellet mush on the edges but it was fairly thick.
So then I got the big idea a few days later to do a 1# pellet hopstand addition to a 10 gallon batch. I did circulate and I did a fairly good whirlpool but it did stop most all the hops, and not clog. So have some piece of mind you can toss a LOT at that bad boy and be good!
I have had 1 guy in the last couple of years tell me it doesn't work well with VERY SMALL additions of pellet hops. He did a 1/2 oz addition in a 4 gallon batch and I guess most everything got through for some reason. I told him to use whole hops..LOL

Cheers
Jay

I have the level 3 for my converted keg I made into a bottom draining Mash Tun and it fits perfect and works awesome, very happy with mine.

I did both. Going off memory here because it was quite a while ago.
First test was like 6-8 OZ of whole in a 10 gallon batch
we then did that same amount in pellet a few days later "thinking" there was NO way it was going to work. I actually thought it was going to stop flow, to be honest. I knew the 15" would stop some pellet hops on its own because I had been using one for that for years. Now this IS with a 15" false bottom mind you. The results were astounding. I did have to do a quick re-circulation to clear out the hops that got under there during the boil but after that it ran clear and stopped most all the pellet hops too. There was about an inch of hops on top of the 15" false bottom and it did slow down flow but it did finish the transfer without having to touch it. Keep in mind though, when we did recirculate, it did a small whirlpool so there was not a 1" thick layer of pellet mush on the edges but it was fairly thick.
So then I got the big idea a few days later to do a 1# pellet hopstand addition to a 10 gallon batch. I did circulate and I did a fairly good whirlpool but it did stop most all the hops, and not clog. So have some piece of mind you can toss a LOT at that bad boy and be good!
I have had 1 guy in the last couple of years tell me it doesn't work well with VERY SMALL additions of pellet hops. He did a 1/2 oz addition in a 4 gallon batch and I guess most everything got through for some reason. I told him to use whole hops..LOL

Cheers
Jay

Jay.. I know you can't guarantee this but do you think it work under a false bottom of lesser diameter in the same configuration?

Jay.. I know you can't guarantee this but do you think it work under a false bottom of lesser diameter in the same configuration?

In a keg it would have to be shorter than the height I have it set right now to go under a smaller diameter false bottom. There are guys using it as a stand alone filter in the boil kettle. Not sure exactly how it works for that but we see it all the time.

Cheers
Jay

Latest posts

Back