JAOM Time to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandallT

Reaction score
Fellow Meadiators,
My JAOM is just now winding down it's fermentation after almost six weeks. Is now a good time to rack this off or is it better to just leave it be?

Joe's recipe is very specific - leave it be until clear. Make any change and you void the warranty. :)

If it is clear enough to read through you can bottle it. You can either bottle directly from the current container, or you can rack it to a bottling bucket to avoid stirring up the lees.

Med,
Whelp, I was just about to secondary it off and the damn thing kicks off with fermentation again. We have 100 plus heat here last two days so I guess it brought it back from the dead. I will wait now and see how the bubbles act. Thanks for your advice.

Well, I just bottled half of my JAOM (double batch) and am not too thrilled with this batch. Came out very dry (.99) and not very fruity. I have a friend who is gonna love it though, so no biggie. I should have added a bit more honey and raised the OG a few hairs. I added just shy of 2 tablespoons of honey for (4) 375ml bottles to give it some carbonation. Now doing my calculations that may have been a bit much. The other half of this recipe is waiting until tomorrow, then I will back sweeten it and let age a few more weeks to see what happens.

My previous JAOM came out wonderful, medium sweet with wonderful fruity taste and aroma. Slight differences in the recipe, tangelo vs orange, raisins vs dried fruit bits, added vanilla bean. Also, difference in temperatures, last batch was started on Memorial day - stored at 80-85 degrees, previous batch started early November - stored at 60-65 degrees. Hmmmmm?

Witch,
My JAOM finally quit fermenting yesterday. I racked it off and got 3/4 gallon. I got a taste of it last night-very sweet, strong clove taste with orangey background. I kinda reminds me of Grand Marnier a little! I put three drops of clove extract in this which I think is a little too strong. One drop would probably be about right. I have a tiny bit of yeast cake and it is clearing nicely. I am thinking letting it sit now for a few weeks then rack one more time. Tangelo sounds like a nice variation. Best of brewing.

Witch,
Sorry but I cannot tell you. Guess I am a seat of the pants vintner. Today I was going to make some Honey Dew melon mead. However, the melons were five bucks a piece, so I figured nah! I'll make some more JAOM instead. I substituted a nice tangelo for the orange. It started fermenting in 15 minutes. Right now bubbling at around 65 beats per minute.

Latest posts

Back