Jamil's Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndoe22

Reaction score
I am brewing this tommarow. Has anyone else done this recipe?
Blonde Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

03-A Light Ale, Blonde Ale

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 15 Max IBU: 33
Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 8 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 12.50
Anticipated OG: 1.055 Plato: 13.52
Anticipated SRM: 6.5
Anticipated IBU: 26.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 7.74 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.042 SG 10.58 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
92.0 11.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
4.0 0.50 lbs. Honey Malt Canada 1.030 18
4.0 0.50 lbs. Crystal 15L America 1.035 15

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.10 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.00 22.0 60 min.
0.50 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.00 3.4 20 min.
0.25 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.00 0.8 1 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Unit(s)Whirlfloc Fining 20 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP051 California Ale V

I've made that recipe numerous times, You will be happy with it. Although the Jamil recipe I have from the website and book, don't contain honey malt, just the crystal. My personal experience with honey malt is to be very careful with it. 1/2lb in a 10 gallon batch shouldn't be too much. The willamette hops are perfect for blonde.

its in the keg right now, waiting for me to finish my keezer conversion this weekend! but mine didnt have honey either.

I think i know where you got that recipe but i was told its not the same as the recipe in his book. i was told this is the recipe in the book, which i will brew this weekend except probably add some finishing hops:

OG: 1.050
FG: 1.011
IBU: 20
Color: 4 srm
ABV: 5.2%
boil: 60 min
Pre boil volume: 7 gal

11.5 lbs. American 2 row
.5 lbs. Crystal 15 ( I couldnt find 15 so I used half 10 and half 20)

Williamette hops, 5.0%AA, 1 oz, 60 min.

Yeast: White labs Cali ale, Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Mash at 152
Ferment at 67

Mine's in the keg carbing now too....Should be ready in the next couple days. I had an undercarbed taste of it the other day - seems like a real crowd pleaser!

Here's a link to another thread about it in the recipe section of the site:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/jamils-blonde-ale-35824/

I went with the recipe from the book (No honey malt and 60 min hops only.) I was trying for something to please the masses at party's over the next few months.

This is definitely a good session beer for home brewers.

My HB club liked this beer a lot. A few stated it so good that they will always have a keg of this in their kegerator. One guy said he would drink it every after work. Its that good.

Its got some malt taste and decent hop flavor.

My BIL and wifes friends couldn't handle the hops. Even being so low.

I told my wife's friend that I was going to revoke her beer snob status over the comment of being too hoppy. She drinks too much rum & coke.

It's a good beer to make. Simple and cheap with a focus on malt. I really like this beer.

I fermented mine with Nottingham yeast @ ~55F. It came out a little more like a lager that way.

My wife does not like beer and she likes this one. It's a good beer for people who are not into hoppy beers.

Just beware that all of the recipes in Jamil's book are for 6 gallons and 70% efficiency, so if you get 80% on your system and go to keg with 5.5 gallons, instead of 1.050 for OG you're going to end up with 1.063. Just keep that in mind.

I brewed this on brew day Thursday. I had an OG of 1.050 and I left out the honey malt. I does look good. I'll be back in two weeks with a picture.

This one was perfectly carbed up now. I must say, I am much more impressed by this beer than I suspected I would be. Typically, we brew heavier more "craft" type stuff. Brewed this one to have a crowd-pleaser that the BMC bunch would like at a few upcoming parties.

It will definitely satisfy the swill drinkers AND homebrew crowd. A nice grainy dryish backbone with the right bitterness. No hop nose to speak of. Beautiful color. Clean flavor with only slight yeast influence. Balanced.

I have made cream ales in the past geared for the same crowd, but never liked them as much. (too much corn / rice flavors from the adjuncts for me.) This one is one that everyone can appreciate. Definitely recommended!

Since I'm not particularly interested in pleasing the masses (read: I'm a hermit with no friends and like to drink alone), could I just up the hops on this and add some later in the boil for flavor and aroma? Or will this unbalance it too much? I haven't really enjoyed the beers I've made with under 30 IBUs (e.g. Scottish 60/), so I was thinking I would want to up this one to at least 30 IBUs.

Back