Jalapeno Pineapple Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millhouse9

Reaction score
A friend and I want to make a Jalapeno Pineapple Beer. I've searched online to find a base recipe but I'm having trouble finding someone who has documented making a jalapeno pineapple brew. I've found pineapple brews, and jalapeno brews, but I haven't found any brews that had both ingredients.

We think we want to do a darker beer with this, but I was also considering basing this off a popular jalapeno cream ale recipe I found here. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm the experienced brewer out of us two, but my experience is pretty limited. I do all-grain and the most complex beer that i've made is a pumpkin ale that turned out great (with real pumpkin from a friend's garden).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are lost and would like to brew this weekend. Cheers! :mug:

I have not done a pineapple/jalapeno beer, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I have however done a pineapple beer (not my recipe), but it had a bazillion other things in it too. From the many bad commercial pepper beers I've had (and some very delicious ones), I think it would be harder to get the jalapeno flavor just right than the pineapple.

I would suggest going with a proven (i.e. with lots of favorable comments, like the one you linked) jalapeno recipe and then add as much pineapple as you feel is appropriate. In that recipe I linked, I used 10 oz of pineapple @15 min, and the pineapple comes through okay. You'd be hard pressed to pick it out, especially not knowing it's there, but like I said, there is a whole lot of other stuff going on in that beer too.

Thanks for the reply Reverend. I will heed your advice and start with a brew that has dialed down balancing the jalapenos.

Anyone else care to chime in?

For sure, we decided to do just a jalapeno porter recipe. We are going to brew up about 8.5 gallons of it and use three gallons for a test batch. The 3 gallons will do the primary fermentation in a 5 gallon carboy, and then we will rack them to three 1 gallon fermenters with different types of pineapple, fresh, canned, and juice concentrate. Not really sure if a porter will go very well with pineapple, but my friend is insisting on trying it. So, I settled with trying a test batch with the pineapple and the other 5.5 gallons will just be jalapeno porter. I will post here with results.

Thanks and cheers! :rockin:

How did this go? I really want to do a jalapeno porter, and pineapple might convince my girlfriend to try it!

Well, to my surprise, they all turned out pretty good! We ended up making jalapeno puree and adding it at the end of the boil and also in the secondary test batches.

Just brewed up some more of this a couple weeks ago and decided to omit the jalapeno in the boil and only do it in the secondary. We just racked our beers to secondary last Sunday. The pineapple was actually pretty good and we also added some mango puree as well. I have to say, as long as you don't over do the jalapeno, it goes with a porter quite well!

Would you mind posting the recipe of your favorite version of this? I love porters and also pineapple. I also like spicy, but have had a beer that was really spicy.....just something like Chocolate Sombrero by Clown Shoes.

I'm bottling the 2nd batch of this tomorrow night. We changed our process a little bit this time by adding the jalapeno in the secondary and not at flame out of the boil. So, after sampling tomorrow night I will post the recipe or recipes that we liked best. Thanks for your patience everyone and I promise to post the recipe soon! Cheers! :mug:

Can't wait! I'm deciding between this and a big barely wine, but damn I love me some jalapeños...

I've been thinking a lot about this concept and was wondering if you two ever considered adding fruit (like the mango) in the mash? I read about a graham cracker beer that did that and it seemed pretty popular

My only assumption there is the same as honey, how much flavor would be left after the yeast get to those simple sugars before the malt? I'm all for experiments though haha

Sorry for the delay, here's the recipe that we're recommending. The base recipe is the Edmund Fitzgerald recipe from this website - so it's a Robust Porter.

10 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 3
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
1.2 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 60 min
0.5 oz Willamette [4.7%] - Boil 15 min
0.5 oz Willamette [4.7%] - Boil 5 min
1 pkgs Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)
8.00 oz Jalapeño Purée (Secondary 1 weeks)

Mash at 154 for 60 minutes and sparge at 170 for 10 minutes

The Jalapeno puree is made by roasting jalapenos in the oven at ~250 and then blending them up with a small amount of water and then put the blend through a strainer. For a 5.5 gallon batch I'd recommend using 6 to 7 jalapenos (the 8.00 oz on the recipe is just an estimate, not exact).

If you want to add pineapple, do the same thing and roast the pineapple and then make a puree. We've tried pineapple chunks and puree and decided that the puree definitely added more flavor to the beer. We used 1 pineapple for 3 gallons, and that is currently 1 week in the bottle so I'll let you know how that turns out (but it tasted pretty good when we were bottling). So 2 pineapples for 5.5 gallons should be good.

We've also added mango puree, the first time we bought puree from the store and added it in secondary and it was really good. This last time we made our own mango puree and we'll see how that turns out soon.

All of these purees go in the secondary and we added vodka to each of these purees to make sure they weren't going to infect our precious beer.

In conclusion, we're still experimenting with this recipe so this is still a work in progress. Please post any results if you decide to brew this or something similar. Thanks!

Nicely done!

I'd consider replacing the Willamette with some Amarillo or possibly Citra. I've gotten some really nice pineapple aroma from both and think modest late additions of one of those could really boost the pineapple further.

Your recipe sounds delicious! I make a similar Porter that is good, but needs more character. Think I'll use your idea & add roasted jalapeno's soaked in about 12 oz. of bourbon to the secondary. Thanks for the tip! How long would you suggest roasting the peppers? Probably until good and soft. Can't wait to try this! Thanks and good luck with your experiment! :tank:

Thread ressurection! Anybody make this yet? Wondering how it turned out. I'm going to do a similar porter with jalapeno & bourbon soon, but I'm not sure how many peppers I should use for a 5.5 gal batch. I'll bottle it & store until Christmas. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks! :mug:

I have flaked bhut jolokia pepper laying around. I'd like to try pineapple ghost pepper recipe I wonder how much I should use for a 5 gallon batch without making drinking a 12 oz like drinking an entire river of lava

From an earlier post on page 2 in this thread:

The Jalapeno puree is made by roasting jalapenos in the oven at ~250 and then blending them up with a small amount of water and then put the blend through a strainer. For a 5.5 gallon batch I'd recommend using 6 to 7 jalapenos (the 8.00 oz on the recipe is just an estimate, not exact).

I just drank the last bottle of this that we bottled on 2/5/14 on Monday, April 21st. I must say, this stuff definitely gets better with age! The spiciness of the jalapenos drops out quite a bit, but it's definitely still there. I hadn't had a bottle in a while, and finally decided to bust out the last bottle and give it a try. I'm now planning on making a 10 gallon batch with a friend on the 10th of may. Cheers! :mug:

Back