I've made my first batch of kilju but I think I've screwed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bladur3872000

Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first time brewing anything so I choose kilju since it's the easiest to make I got a 1 litre plastic bottle filled around 750 ml of it with water and added two teaspoons sugar and yeast then I placed a latex glove(poked a few holes in it) on the bottle and kept it in the attic.

The second day the glove was quite inflated but I was only able to check up again on it after 10 days and liquid is kind of whitish lemonade coloured and it tastes quite bad which I was expecting but it smells worse.

What I want to know is that is it safe to drink and if yes then will it get me drunk?
IMG_20200613_013327.jpg
IMG_20200613_013335.jpg

It would take a serious lightweight to get drunk off 2 teaspoons of sugar.
By my calculations, that should be about .6% ABV.
If you want cheap and easy, add yeast to a bottle of apple juice and keep it 65F-75F.

It would take a serious lightweight to get drunk off 2 teaspoons of sugar.
By my calculations, that should be about .6% ABV.
If you want cheap and easy, add yeast to a bottle of apple juice and keep it 65F-75F.
Will any kind of apple juice do? And does it has to be apple juice? Also how do I calculate how much yeast and sugar to put in different sizes of bottles? Thanks a lot buddy

For your first batch, I wouldn't add any sugar - just a spoon of yeast.
Any juice will do, but apple usually has the right acidity, the right sugar, the fewest preservatives, and the cheapest, so that makes it a top choice. Apple juice runs about 1.050 gravity. It will ferment out completely, giving you respectable 6.5% ABV.

Once you've tried that, your next step might be apfelwein, which does add sugar.

Last edited:
Just be certain that the juice you purchase is free from preservatives. They are added to prevent natural fermentation but they will certainly inhibit any fermentation caused by added lab cultured yeast too. Check that the bottle says free of any preservatives or if it indicates that sorbates have been added avoid the bottle.

Back