I've got too many hops I need to use up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshesmusica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm 11 brews in, and have now tried 6 different styles. Which means I have a wide variety of hops in my fridge that I'd like to use up the majority of on my next brew. Hoping some of you lovely people would be able to help me come up with a recipe. IPA is most desired, or at least some kind of hop-forward beer. Here's what I got:

25g Saaz
20g Hallertau Mittelfrueh
8g East Kent Goldings
15g Warrior
20g Citra
20g Nelson Sauvin

Extract or Partial Mash Biab brewer, 19L brewpot. Can get a wide variety of grains and yeasts at the LHBS, but I do have US-05 sitting in the fridge. Also can get more of any of those hops if necessary. (Though I would say that if that's needed, I would rather have warrior, citra, NS and maybe saaz stocked up in the fridge. not necessarily the other two.) I prefer more of a citrousy ale with lots of hops aroma and flavor, and not overly bitter. usually go fairly even or barely more IBUs on the OG:IBU ratio.

Thanks for advice and creativity!

I don't have any recipes that use those hops, just wanted to mention how jealous I am that you think you'll get citrousy with lots of aroma with caution towards too bitter with less hops than I can even taste in a beer.

well i did mention I could buy more. the main thing is looking to use these up in some way if it's even possible to get good flavor combos going with these.
my last IPA was 132g total hops used. 1.1/1 IBU:OG ratio. 110g of those hops came late in the boil/whirlpool/dry hop.

ok so i would say find a double IPA recipe and just exchange hops that you have for hops that they have..the best part of brewing is to imagine something...and then make it happen...certain hops or better as full boil for bitter and others or better for late additions that give you a better nose....look at a couple recipes and decide which ones that you will use earlier in the boil and then later in the boil and then just go do it..make u your own recipe and create it...it is great to build something on paper and then let it come to existence...good luck

yeah I get that. really just trying to check out if there's anybody on this forum that have tried different combos that didn't seem like they would work up front, but then were pretty good combos in the end.
For instance, wondering if anybody's ever used warrior late in the boil instead of bittering?

Back