I've been kicked out of my brewery.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbydigital

Reaction score
I just completed my 3rd batch..just cooked it up..
i was told it stinks in the house, and that they cannot stand it..
it smells foull...i think it smells nice and "nutty"
(i made a magichat#9 clone)
it doesnt help that i didnt end my boil till 12am.

any ideas to reduce smell?

I brew inside mostly (I bought a turkey fryer, but I like to brew in my kitchen anyway). If I brew at 8:00 AM and finish up by 1:00 PM, when my kids get home from school at 3:00 PM, they immediately complain of "the stink". I have windows open, etc, of course, but there is definitely an aroma! My husband is happy when he gets home from work and notices a new brew happened during the day but the kids absolutely gag.

So, for the summer, I'll do the boil outside. The only advice I can give you is to brew when the others are gone- it will still be noticeable later but not as bad. And the ones who complain should NOT get any homebrew!

Yooper Chick said:
So, for the summer, I'll do the boil outside.

I didn't realize there was another one of "us" :D Inside is great in the winter imo, but now that hot weather is here I dunno what I'll do. Maybe I'll purchase a burner....

Had the same problem but it was definently CHEAPER to KEEP HER!!!! Get a turkey fryer and go outside. That was the only thing that worked for me. I do my steeping inside and then dump all that water into the keggle and fill to 6 gallons of hot tap water, but all the brewing has to happen outside.

I was told after my last extract batch I had to GTFO of the house. So I told SWMBO the only way that was going to happen was if I got a turkey fryer...and since I was buying that I would have to get a wort chiller....and since I was doing that I might as well go AG. She said "I dont care what you do but you are no longer brewing inside"

my first AG is being bottled this weekend

Take this as a sign to buy more equipment!

I was cooking a pint starter of Wheat DME last night on the stove and SWMBO noticed. All I got was "It smells like beer cooking again!"

Life is good!

Mine doesn't like the smell of hops, but she does like the smell of mashing, says it reminds her of baking bread. The hop smell isn't as strong during the boil, though, as what triggers her dislike. Now smelling hops straight out of the bag, on the other hand...

I've noticed quite a reduction in smell by running the exhaust fan over the stove. You can tell it is working when you can smell the brew from the yard. :cross:

I love coming home the next day and having that fresh-brewed taste in the house.

I brew in the house since I'm still doing extracts. My wife doesn't mind the smell of the wort but once the hops are in she has a tendency to turn up her nose. Some brew days she'll leave while I'm brewing to avoid the smell. She doesn't complain though because she really enjoys the end product.

I live in a very small apartment. If I dont open doors etc, it can smell for days. Not that I really mind. My roommates usually complain. I really wish I had a speed burner though.

I love the smell of cooking wort. My gf doesn't mind it at first, but as the boil progresses and more hops are added and the whole thing gets cooked down...she begins to complain. Now I only brew when she's away for a while and open up all the windows, burn incense, etc. :)

I loooove the smell. My friend came over and said, "it smells like cereal" so she's allowed to come over when I brew. If anyone complains to me, they know where the front door is.

i love the smell, big surprise. my roommate doesnt seem to mind, even when the sliding glass door gets all fogged up. my gf doesnt mind either.

This smell of wort is one of the main reasons I started home brewing.

It takes me back to my roots in St. Louis. My grandparents lived near the AB brewery. We drove by it whenever we visited. Often, but not always, the sweet smell of boiling wort hung in the air . Many happy memories are associated with this aroma.

I wonder if there is a specific term for the smell of boiling wort? If not we should coin one.

Buying a couple turkey fryer kits from WalMart was the best thing I ever did. Now the wifey don't mind it when I brew. I keep the mess and the smell out of her kitchen.

I was kicked out by SWMBO as well. Bought a Turkey Fryer, Keggle, Mash Tun, Grain crusher and wort chiller and I couldn't be happier. Of course in January I may not be saying that! ;)

i love the smell of malt in the air...i don't think my roomate really cares.

i guess i could probably brew outside on my deck, but no...that would be incredibly uncomfortable. i'm afraid i'm stuck inside with extract until i move.

no hurry on that, but as soon as i find a decent place i'm getting a dog and some AG equipment!

I'm curious to try to see if a regular box fan and a furnace filter with granular activated carbon would cut down on the smell from brewing. My roommate complains too. For some reason the blower above my stove just blows air back into the room, I don't get the purpose of it, but maybe I could put a GAC filter in place of the metal screen. Maybe do some experiments and construct a breakthrough curve on brewing smells treated with granular activated carbon...

LOL..... I ONLY brew outdoors (Garage or yard depends on weather) and the wife will get up, walk outside and tell me what kind of hops I just threw in (of course she brews also *wink*) We both LOVE the smell!!

Luckily my wife likes the smell though it does tend to give us a headache. I've thought about brewing outside but Texas summers can be brutal and I'm not much of a morning person.

My wife doesn't like beer (much) and doesn't like the smell of boiling wort, with or without hops. After I did the second extract brew on the stove I was kicked outside.
I also ended up going AG since I was boiling with a turkey fryer any ways. I think it improved my beers, the turkey fryer and wort chiller take less time than the stove and sink (though the mashing adds time) and I save money.
I still mash inside and make my DME starters and priming inside, which causes complaints but not many.
A good stove hood will probably help the smell. If the kitchen is in an isolated room some window fans may help also. Still if your room mates are like my wife, its not going to be enough.

Craig

My roomate can't stand it, but I don't really care. I just bought my final AG piece though so I guess I'm outdoors from now on anyways.

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Welcome to the darkside. (AG)
Well I still kind of need a grain crusher, but for now I'm going to get pre-milled from the lhbs. Only problem there is their hop selection is god-awful.

What does brewing outside have to do with AG vs. ME?

Luckily, it's MY kitchen. Luckily, SWMBO likes the smell of wort, at least the lighter ale worts, as she thinks it resembles bread baking smells.

But I still try to do it when I have the house to myself. Oh, shhh-ugar, the in-laws will be here soon. Oops. Fuggles, it's my house.

marshman said:
What does brewing outside have to do with AG vs. ME?
When you go AG, there's little chance of ever getting this stuff inside.
10Gallon_Setup.JPG

I have to convert my self-cleaning fermentation chamber back into a 'shower' for when my in-laws come to stay. This was apparently was it's intended use? I had no idea. :D

Side burner of the BBQ worked nicely for me (seems OK for the small stuff < 2 gallons):
IMG_6350.JPG

Back