ITT: Barrel-Aged Stouts (No Adjuncts Allowed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So.....got the XX, but decided to drink this adjunct treat from iong516 ...

waYu1HH.jpg

It’s in the fridge!! Maybe tomorrow

Mod edit: don't click the spoiler

Last edited by a moderator:
BA Vladimir’s Pegasus by Junkyard Brewing in Moorhead MN. Definitely their best beer to date. Also had a 2019 BA darkness last night. It’s improving every year now. Can’t post a pic because I wasn’t allowed but I would highly recommend both of those beers if you can find them because they actually exist.

jmgrub we have some beers to drink when you get in to town.

We focused more on BWs than non adjunct laden stouts but we had Junkyard BA stout that was silky smooth. The crowler has no label so here is a picture of us at 2am
View attachment 6329

Easily my latest night of drinking since my wedding and potentially since college

029787e5b8877653e574c865fe131651_c_734076842_1280x1280.jpg

That's the best non adjunct BA stout I've ever had. Also the best BA stout period I've ever had. Sneaks past SR71. It's so thick and rich but balanced. Enough bitter roast to blend with fudge and bourbon. Picks up so many nuances from the barrel. Glad I was lucky enough to snag a bottle. It was a long drive to St Louis and back but it beats trying to get one on the trade market or secondary. Plus when you have your own bottle you can just open it up for Wrestlemania instead of rearranging your schedule whenever your drinking buddies want to open theirs.

029787e5b8877653e574c865fe131651_c_734076842_1280x1280.jpg

That's the best non adjunct BA stout I've ever had. Also the best BA stout period I've ever had. Sneaks past SR71. It's so thick and rich but balanced. Enough bitter roast to blend with fudge and bourbon. Picks up so many nuances from the barrel. Glad I was lucky enough to snag a bottle. It was a long drive to St Louis and back but it beats trying to get one on the trade market or secondary. Plus when you have your own bottle you can just open it up for Wrestlemania instead of rearranging your schedule whenever your drinking buddies want to open theirs.

Which batch?

Never heard of this brewery. A buddy that knows "I'm into beer" randomly gave this to me.

image-20190405-173639-2-1554687828104.jpg

Turns out, it's easily one of the best BA Stouts I've had in the last few years. Fantastic!
And I even had BBT on tap last year.

If I wasn't on a buying hold, I'd seek out more of this!

Batch 2. The most recent one. Picked it up Thanksgiving Sunday. I didn't want to wait too long to try it. I had too long of a drive home in not so great weather to open a bottle on-site that day. It lived up to all the hype last night.

This was the right move IMO, at least if batch 1 is any indication. Had it fresh right after the release in early Dec 17, then again in Feb 18, and was definitely one of of the best BA stouts I've had both times. Then had it at a share I posted earlier in this thread in Dec 18, a bit more than a year after release. It was still very good, but not quite as much of a standout as previously.

My theory on this is that Cory King is obviously very talented at blending BA stouts, and as a result the beers are pretty much perfect to drink right out of the gate. I don't see how extended aging is going to improve them, but I could be wrong there. Not that I get to try them often enough to find out mind you. I did have D3 both shortly after release and then a few years later, and recall enjoying it roughly the same both times.

DAMN, is is that good? I saw this at a beer shop by me, and for some reason got mad at it. "Nice try Goose Island."

I have no idea why.

If you don't already like peaty single malts you'll hate this. For scotch drinkers, and Ardbeg heads especially, this is as good as anything you could hope for. What's more, Goose decided against releasing it as a Bourbon County variant and priced it at $16/4pk instead of a $24 500mL or whatever their pricing is now.

If you don't already like peaty single malts you'll hate this. For scotch drinkers, and Ardbeg heads especially, this is as good as anything you could hope for. What's more, Goose decided against releasing it as a Bourbon County variant and priced it at $16/4pk instead of a $24 500mL or whatever their pricing is now.

Hahahah that ddp post is definitely the reason I was hating on it, now that you mention it.

If they they still have some collecting dust at the beer shop, im all in.

Hahahah that ddp post is definitely the reason I was hating on it, now that you mention it.

If they they still have some collecting dust at the beer shop, im all in.

TBH, I can understand why GI decided that a smoky, brackish BCBS variant would be very divisive for a fan base that has been primed to expect pastry notes and the occasional chili-mash-plus-Werther's abomination.

This beer is really ****ing good, though. The base beer marries with the barrels really well, and I bet that has something to do with GI pondering what to do with this thing they made for 17 months while it sat on wood.

Did this leave the Chicago-land area at all?

No picture (my phone is upstairs and I'm in the basement and on beer, sue me), but drinking the most recent bottling of BA Expedition (October, 2018). In just six months, this beer got even better. Great dark chocolate followed by thick, deep, dark fruits. Bit of cocoa powder on the end and just a whisper of hops. And all the while, there's a warmth from the bourbon. If I have a criticism, it's the lack of barrel and any clearly discernible bourbon taste, beyond the warming feeling. But that's a quibble in this case. This is just terrific.

Back