ITT: Barrel-Aged Stouts (No Adjuncts Allowed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can vouch that in October on a bachelor party trip we did 15 through 20 including one of the Black Golds and fresh is best on those. 15-17 were not even remotely finished by a 10 man crew. That's where those are headed currently.
tenor.gif

Anyone had a Kuhnhenn BA Solar Eclipse any time recently? Thinking about cracking mine tonight since we have a guest that can help me share the 18% ABV burden.
That's a top 5 all-time beer for me. On draft at Winter Solstice in about 2012 or 2013, along with BA American Imperial Stout, BB4D, BBBW, and others I can't recall. BA Solar stood out from that ridiculous tap list. What an astounding beer.

Interested to hear what people have to say about that new Founders Mothership beer (Imperial Stout aged for 2 years in Bourbon Barrels).

Less than 250 cases sold out in about an hour, with a 5 case limit. Hoping it's still on tap tomorrow so I can stop by. Dying to try it.

That's a top 5 all-time beer for me. On draft at Winter Solstice in about 2012 or 2013, along with BA American Imperial Stout, BB4D, BBBW, and others I can't recall. BA Solar stood out from that ridiculous tap list. What an astounding beer.

It was great if (understandably) a little bit hot when I opened my first bottle several years ago. Seemed like the kind of beer that would hold up/age well. Will report back.

Less than 250 cases sold out in about an hour, with a 5 case limit. Hoping it's still on tap tomorrow so I can stop by. Dying to try it.

Yeah - saw that in the Founders thread.

Who needs 5 cases of anything? Silly limit if you ask me. One case would be a reasonable limit for that beer.

I also forgot to mention, amidst the apple brandy stout talk yesterday, that Smuttynose Smuttlabs Apple Brandy Imperial Stout was super good. I seem to recall that it was aged in an apple brandy barrel for some ridiculous amount of time (like 5 years).

Reporting back. Definitely a decent amount of oxidation, but it's very drinkable with almost no heat (which is remarkable for its alcohol content). Has a little bit of coffee-like acidity/tartness in the finish. All in all pretty impressed, but drink em if you got em. Not going to be getting any better.

sD42Ffe.jpg

Went digging through some old photos and found what I believe was the first barrel-aged Dark Lord I ever got to try, 2012 Bourbon BA at Hunahpu's Day 2014 (aka the infamous RiotPu day):

aviary_1394331248807_zpsau5y5n95.jpg

I remember really enjoying this one, had a great barrel character that cut through all the sweet nasty aspects of the base beer. A couple of months later I got to try the Pappy Van Winkle version from 2011 (along with another even more desirable 2011 variant that isn't appropriate for this thread):

IMG_20140504_133659_zpskz3dzr72.jpg

I wasn't as big of a fan of this one as the 2012, but it was also very nice. BADLs are pretty hit or miss, especially these days with all the weird barrel choices and Chopped basket adjunct combinations, but the early straight bourbon versions are great examples of how barrel-aging can transform an unbalanced base beer into something a lot more drinkable.

Love this thread. Great BA Stout > adjunct BA stout any day.

I really like me some Black Gold and really loved 16 from CW too. CW XX I think is better than 17 or 19 and will revisit soon.

Cycle DBR really blew me away with their first batch. Still enjoyed the second release and DBrrrrr (rum version) is solid.

CCB Outskirts *imperial porter* I liked more than most. So easy to drink. Went through an entire 750 no problem when I intended to cap and save.

Interested to hear what people have to say about that new Founders Mothership beer (Imperial Stout aged for 2 years in Bourbon Barrels).
20190124_113301.jpg

It's terrific. Pretty much exactly what I expected. Very roasty, with lots of bourbon and barrel coming through, and some heat as well. As it warmed, there was chocolate and more warming feel from the 12.8%. It's a helluva beer.

I have little doubt this is going to see distro in the next couple of years.

I came into this thread, already 4 pages deep to offer up my highest level of disgust if black magick wasnt already mentioned and I see not only is it the OP, but theres almost an entire page dedicated to ‘13 talk.

There might be hope left for this site afterall. You bastards done made me proud.

BA Ten Fidy. Stovepipe cans year round here. I can buy them for less than $10 at gas stations by my house. Just a phenomenal and perfect beer.

And does Fremont B-Bomb count? It’s a “Winter Ale” (blue_bleeder ) but more like a stout. Bought a local place out of them last week.
Great choice. They're starting to show up here a little bit more. I love how oily and thick that beer can be.

Back