ITT: Barleywines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B2CZgog.jpg

Trying to clear out my old **** and this is BW adjacent I guess. A bunch of dark fruits with a bit of burned sugar, bitterness is fairly balanced, it's a little thin and the hops are way too medicinal/herbal. I don't remember this stuff fresh, but I'd say drink em if you've got em.

640b825eb5f8579f3f4f630b75983b85_raw.jpeg

hot damn! NClambicguy you down played this guy, this is fantastic. i’m a firm believe that the uglier the barleywine the better the beer, this guy pours an amazing murkey brown. flavor is off great, dark fruits toffee vanilla and slight hops. this guy is tasty and worth checking out

thanks NCbarleywineguy for sending this over!

640b825eb5f8579f3f4f630b75983b85_raw.jpeg

hot damn! NClambicguy you down played this guy, this is fantastic. i’m a firm believe that the uglier the barleywine the better the beer, this guy pours an amazing murkey brown. flavor is off great, dark fruits toffee vanilla and slight hops. this guy is tasty and worth checking out

thanks NCbarleywineguy for sending this over!

You don’t think it’s a touch too hoppy currently? I haven’t had one in a few months, but was waiting for that to die down some.

any examples or all great (English) barleywines ugly? I never noticed...

yea there’s a few, one that really sticks out is ba hifi rye, i remember that guy looked murky, and it one of my all time faves, blendicious was the same, coast old nuptial, witches hat well water was pretty ugly and tasty.

With a year on it,.... really damn good!

With 3 years on it.......

20190331-205137-2.jpg

Not good at all. I powered through maybe 3 oz, then dumped it. So sad.

Maybe the lesson is cans just don't hold up.
Damn, I have a few year vertical going. The bottles with the old white/yellow label used to hold up really great after a few years. :(

Heard bad things about the rebrew of this. I've never had a fresh THA before but i think this is pretty great out of the gate. Hits all the standard English BW notes. Really regretting not getting a few more to age but I'm just glad to see it back.
hblXwwO.jpg

Good to hear. Grabbed a bottle of the 50th Anniversary Golden Edition (which I've heard is good) and the whiskey BA version (which I've heard is not good). Guess I'll have to find our for myself.

Crosspost from cigar thread... Pohjala Odravein, from their extremely underrated barrel program. If you have a store that gets Shelton distro nearby, this might be on shelf and is well worth your attention. A bit spikier than some BABWs, but not hot or astringent - some bitterness, some wood, but lots of complexity.
57F5C59B-E090-4EAB-9506-B679B658E33E.jpeg

Attachments

• 02FB2BE4-1983-4CC5-845A-9BC67A80598B.jpeg
    02FB2BE4-1983-4CC5-845A-9BC67A80598B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
4EiQjya.jpg

Somehow better than the last bottle I had (which was stored in the exact same place). The usual good stuff - molasses, tobacco, leather, a little prune/fig...but minimal oxidation, and that lick-your-lips sweetness. Nice way to spend Memorial Day.

I think this may have been my last bottle. Cheers!

Crosspost from cigar thread... Pohjala Odravein, from their extremely underrated barrel program. If you have a store that gets Shelton distro nearby, this might be on shelf and is well worth your attention. A bit spikier than some BABWs, but not hot or astringent - some bitterness, some wood, but lots of complexity.
View attachment 8259
Gah, just picked that bottle up off the shelf in Bend, OR and then set it back down. It'll probably be there when I visit again in November...

Forgot to mention that our local bottle shop has "Vintage Bigfoot" - a blend of 1, 2 and 3 year barrel-aged Bigfoot for growler fills. Nice dude who works there offered me a taste when I was deciding between 2 beers for fills. Certainly wouldn't choose it over pretty much any English-style barleywine, but it still beat the **** out of regular Bigfoot and "regular" barrel-aged Bigfoot. Think Central Waters BBBW with more hop bitterness. Still ended up getting a fill of Velvet Merkin instead.

TL; DR: you won't be making a life-alteringly bad decision if you buy this beer.

Forgot to mention that our local bottle shop has "Vintage Bigfoot" - a blend of 1, 2 and 3 year barrel-aged Bigfoot for growler fills. Nice dude who works there offered me a taste when I was deciding between 2 beers for fills. Certainly wouldn't choose it over pretty much any English-style barleywine, but it still beat the **** out of regular Bigfoot and "regular" barrel-aged Bigfoot. Think Central Waters BBBW with more hop bitterness. Still ended up getting a fill of Velvet Merkin instead.

TL; DR: you won't be making a life-alteringly bad decision if you buy this beer.
Grabbed one the other day at South Lyndale, will report back.

Back