ITC-100 PID Manual mode questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesperth

Reaction score
Hi,

I just fitted an Inkbird ITC-100VH to control my boil kettle in a HERMS setup. I had an TA4-SSR before but that doesn't have manual mode which made the boil a bit of a gamble.

I struggled a lot getting the Inkbird PID to work in Manual mode. Turns out you need to set a few settings correctly to enable it. But I managed that.

However, I couldn't get the Control Cycle time right. I set the Ctl parameter to 1 because I have an SSR controlling the heating element and I just want the shortest cycle time possible (PID turns element on/off in short bursts -On for 50% of the time).

But this resulted in the PID firing the element for 17 seconds followed by an off cycle of 17 seconds when set to 50% output in manual mode.

After a lot of experimenting - I started by lowering the Hysteresis time because the manual said that could affect the Ctl settings effect.

That didn't change anything, then after more trial and error testing, I ended up setting both the M50 and P properties to 0. And now Ctl works to control cycle time. I can set it at 1 second but ended up using 4 because it looks like the on/off granularity of this device is 0.5 seconds.

So, to my questions:

Why does the 3 PID settings affect manual mode?
Can i not use a cycle time of 1 second, that works on the TA4-SSR ?

Having to basically disable PID settings to be able to use manual mode makes it less useful.

Sounds like enough to put this unit on the NOT RECOMMENDED list. If you want something much easier to use, look at the Auber EZBoil DSPR-120.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back