Italian Floor Corker for beer or sparkling wine. (getting the cork *through* the slot-thing-a-majigger)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woozy

Reaction score
So a friends brothers nano-brewery had to shut down due to Covid. (boo). and the friends asked if I wanted a bottle corker and 750 ml beer bottles. I never turn down free things so I said yes. So I tested corking an empty bottle. And i noticed a tear in the cork where the cork protruded over the lip of the bottle (as this is a beer bottle we don't flush the cork to the lip; we end up with a mushrrom shaped cork like a champagne cork).

I tested to again and noticed that when the corker squeezed and pushed the cork it didn't push it entirely through the slot-thing-a-majigger so the bottle and 2/3 of the cork was below the narrow metal passage of the corker and one third of the cork (now expanded) was above it so it was like a wasp caught in a metal girdle. To get the bottle through the girdle I yank it down through the girdle and .... that results in a tear in the cork.

So I figure I should pull the bottle through well the cork is being squeezed. But now the corking lever rather cleverly engages in a bottle locking mechanism.

So I figure: Squeeze and cork, pull the lever up, and let the cork expand, now instead of the pulling the bottle through I lower the bottle stand without lowering the bottle so the bottle is hang by its neck which is in the chokehold of the girdle passage. Then with the bottle stand forced down with one hand, I pull the cork level down with the other hand a second time squeezing the top third of the cork a second time and while the cork is squeeze, I pull the bottle through the girdle. As the top third of the cork is squeezed it slides out with no tear.

Ta-da.

Ta-da?

Okay, but how am I supposed to *really* do it?

Some pictures might help to understand what you are saying. I have only used my Ferrari Corker for wine with slightly recessed corks. Hopefully others will be more helpful.

Wouldn't it just be easier to reach out the guy you got it from and ask how to use?

" Wouldn't it just be easier to reach out the guy you got it from and ask how to use? "

It would if you were a socially adjusted normal person.

It's the brother of the boyfriend of a person I play trivia with. I never met the brother. The boyfriend doesn't know. To pester with questions or demand he ask his brother seems too much like looking a gift horse in the mouth. And this is maybe my neurosis but when I fail and have to give things up I *really* don't like people swarming around reminding me. Especially not people who are benefitting from my misfortune. So I *really* don't want to ask a person I don't even know niggly little questions about $135 dollar equipment he had to give away for free. I feel when he gave it away he gave away all obligation and any learning is my onus.

I feel like this is like buying a used computer monitor at a flea market and then demanding that the seller help you figure out to download and install the correct drivers.

Solution. When I drepress the corking handle to squeze and cork the bottle, a gravity and friction locking mechanism engages locking the bottle into place. But that lock can be overriden by simply lifting the bar causing the friction. Then I can depress the bottle stand and pull the bottle through while the cork is still being squeezed.

Back