$7 wine corker review.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RealFloopyGuy

Reaction score
I read about corks and corkers for a week before I ordered the corks from Northern Brewer with my order and then another week passed before I ordered the corker from eBay. My wife got tired of watching me read about corkers and corks and suggested I just buy the expensive one and be done with it. I didn't see any point in spending money on something I'd probably never use again but I didn't want to buy something that I couldn't use at all.

I made my first batch of mead that I intended to bottle and wanted to make it look nice. I don't make much wine and for personal use I would just put it in quart beer bottles or 1 gallon carboys. I wanted to put it in bottles and give it out for Christmas to a few people. I don't know that I will ever use this against except for the rare bottle to give to a friend, so I decided to find the cheapest corkers I could buy. I looked at those under $50. I weighed my need and expected usage. I was going to buy a hand corker of the type that run $30 on eBay and figured I'd have a hard time breaking them then I changed my mind and bought a cheaper one.

I finally bought this one on eBay:
$T2eC16ZHJG!E9nm3q9BQBRV3T58qGQ~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16hHJHYE9nzpgIvEBRV3T91Ilw~~60_57.JPG

It was $7 shipped. I couldn't find any reviews on forums or beer supply places for it. Google search came up with nothing. It is basically a tapered hole in a piece of plastic that fits over a wine bottle. You put the cork in the hole. The top half is a rod the size of the hole that pushes the cork in when you apply pressure. That is all. Nothing else to it. Simple as can be. It came with a bonus of 6 PVC shrink capsules and 3(#7?)corks that wasn't mentioned in the auction.

I already had #8 and #9 corks. I figured that I would try it with both of them and see how it went.

I did it on the counter. I had no problem seating any of the corks. I held the bottle with one hand and pushed with the other. I had to put some pressure on them, but I didn't have to hit it or anything. Just push down. It was easy enough with even the #9 corks that I never had to put it on the ground to push them in. I never strained and my hand wasn't sore. I used the 3 #7's for people who I knew would be drinking it immediately, #9 for a couple I planned to age, and #8s for the rest that won't make it 6 months.

I was pleasantly impressed with this corker and unless it breaks in half, I won't be getting another one. I corked about 15 bottles with it in 5 minutes. It literally only took a few seconds for each one. It seated the corks flat or just a little below the lip depending on how I pushed. It felt solid the entire time.

I'm not a small or weak person but I am also not the Incredible Hulk. I would expect your average person would be able to put this on the floor and push down rather easily with a cork that has been soaked in sanitizer for a few minutes.

Only time will tell as to the longevity of this corker, but with #8 corks you should be able to use it with no problems.

I wouldn't suggest throwing away a floor corker to get one of these. However, for the person who might make 100 bottles mead/wine over a lifetime or who wants to cork that special beer they made and doesn't want to spend money on equipment they might not ever use again, I'd say for $7 shipped, why not?

Thanks for the review. I might give this a go as I'm not sure that I will ever cork another batch after this one. (And if I do it was only 7 bucks!) Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

I have one of these and all I can say is that it works... I use a rubber mallet to apply the needed pressure. If you are bottling a half dozen bottles it is ... OK. The obvious weakness is that unless you have a rig to grip the bottle you really have no good way of ensuring that the bottle will not slip under your hand and spill its contents. That said, although, the cost is not negligible, a floor corker is in a different league, and if you bottle a few dozen bottles at a time I don't know that there is anything to beat one of those babies.

I purchased one of these too along with a bag of corks for cheap. I dipped the cork in star-san for a quick second and pushed the corks in. Super simple and for the cost, if I never have to use it again, no biggie. But, now that I have it I'll put it to more use.

Bernard, I have no problem holding the bottle and the lower piece in one hand and applying pressure with the other. It felt pretty secure to me. I guess if I planned to use it a lot that I might make a wooden square or use a hold saw to cut a circle in a piece of wood to hold the bottle so I could press down with both hands without worrying about it slipping. I'd probably just put the bottle between my feet while using both hands to push though. Having monkey feet is a gift from god.

Nope and I didn't even know how it worked before it showed up. Holding the bottom piece as well as the bottle wasn't an issue for me either. Big hands.

As a follow up, I've bottled about 100 bottles with this corker at this point. No issues. I'm not sure I will ever upgrade since I will probably only be corking a batch or so a year. It only takes a few seconds to cork a bottle.

I would be worried about breaking the bottle. Anyone had this issue. Just seems scary to be putting that much pressure on a bottle from the top. I could see one breaking and then all that force pushing your hand/wrists onto broken glass.

I've got a plunger style, where I whack it with a rubber mallet (satisfying in its own way). Works great with #8 corks.

No need to go to the lever style that costs more and Actually takes more effort. Sometimes simple is best, as you have also found out.

I actually just ordered an "inexpensive" bottle corker, and then saw this post. The one I got was a bit different:

image_1490__23551.1428084519.1280.1280.jpg

I'm guessing it is the one described by estricklin - looking forward to its arrival....

Unless the bottle is cracked or something it isn't going to break. It doesn't take much pressure to put the corks in if they are wet with sanitizer. It didn't feel much different than capping a beer bottle to me to be honest. Hitting it with a hammer probably isn't the right thing to do for longevity, a good seal, or safety. You would still have to hold it in your hand while you hit it, wouldn't you? If it wasn't completely straight it seems like it would damage the cork too. I can't imagine iti would be good for the corker or bottle to be smacked with a mallet.

Rubber mallet and that corker pictured above. Works great! Thr bottle sits on the floor while i hold the corker, no safety issues that I can see. I've bottled 7 or 8 batches this way, so I'm sure some bottles have been corked 4-5 times. Not one breakage yet.

Back