It won't stop leaking...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, maybe a little more information? what kind of bulkhead fittings? Orientation and placement of each component? Where is it actually leaking from?

Make sure you're using enough washers, I think he used cut washers and not fender washers (as home depot calls them) on the outside. I figured since there were 4 fender washers in that create a bolt pack I could just used those but it didnt work. I had to go back and get the cut washers. Also make sure you have the rubber piece from the original spigot in there correctly.

I got SS flat washers inside and I think fender washers for the outside.I think it might be the OD of the O-rings.I still have the rubber piece.The white ring that goes on the outside broke (excessive tightening)

I made a drink cooler mash tun about 5 years ago and have not had a single leak. I found that a rubber bung from a 5L mini-keg fit perfectly in the hole in the cooler left from removing the plastic spout. A 1/4" brass pipe nipple fits perfectly through the bung - and it is threaded at each end, so you can put a valve and hose barb on the outside and on mine I have a tee and 2 SS braids on the inside. It drains plenty fast for doing batch sparges too.

Get a rubber o-ring and place between the wall of the cooler and the the SS washer that comes into contact with the wall of the cooler. Mine did the same thing and a single .15 cent o-ring made it leak proof.

I'd just buy this:
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=44_35_46&product_id=91

For under $20 you get a bulkhead fitting that works really well.

If your cooler is just a single wall where the spigot is, get the keg bulkhead, you need the close nipple, not the 1.5".

I would have suggested the same, but he has obviously already bought the parts for the DIY HD version. I guess if all else fails, I guess he has another option. I got this kit from BargainFittings and haven't had a single drop leak.

Good luck bro, I'd just slap a bunch of sealant around it and hope for the best, lol.

Thanks to all the replies,and yeah,I don't wanna put all these parts to waste.I strongly think my O ring is too small,what OD do you guys suggest?the ones I got are 3/4 OD by 5/8 ID.

I might try the 5L keg.Too bad I threw some away recently,time to make the sacrifice with some WELTENBURGER pils.

get a neoprene washer that has an ID slightly smaller than your coupler's OD.

The black thing in this picture. Washers/gaskets work better than o-rings IMO.
DSC05017.jpg

If you can get a silicon gasket, even better.
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=36_42&product_id=105

I have no idea what size o-ring I used. I do remember that it was somewhat of a PIA to get on the end of the coupler.

If you can find the rubber, neopreen or slicon washers...even better.

I encountered a similar issue. Since I had purchased too few weldless fittings for my whole rig, I chose to add the new soldered weldless bulkhead from Bargain Fittings for my MLT. It sealed tight from the first install, and, even after repeated use, has been leak free.

UPDATE:
Finally had time to buy the neoprene washers.
Went with 2 3/8" x 2" size.
Cooler finally stopped leaking.
I am happy.
Used 3 SS washers+1 neoprene washer for the inside(got rid of the igloo parts) then,used a neoprene washer+3 fender washers for the outside.
NO leaks.
Thanks for all the advice given.

Latest posts

Back