It Can Only Get Better

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattkenzie

Reaction score
After years of contemplating becoming a Home Brewer, I decided to take the plunge and I believe that I just may have made every rookie mistake possible with my first batch. At least I will be able to get them out of the way. Let me illustrate.
I purchased an Irish Stout extract kit with my equipment set up and believe that everything went well, until pitching. As the wort sat in the fermentation bucket, I stirred it up a bit but I am sure it was not quite enough. My included directions suggesting just sprinkling my Muntons Ale Yeast over the top of the wort so, unfortunately, I took the easy way out. I sprinkled (no stirring), closed the bucket and set my bucket in the basement. I checked every day for seven days but never saw bubbles in the airlock. Reading forums, I decided to open and take a gravity reading which was 1.020. Unfortunately, I never took an OG so I had nothing to compare it to. Additionally, there were no signs that krausen developed and and it just looked like flat beer. I decided that I might as well rack to secondary to open up my fermentor so that I can take another shot. Little did I realize that the end of the tubing should be below the beer. I ended up with a carboy full of foam. I know now that this is probably going to taste horrible. I did see that there was a bunch of yellow residue in the bottom of the primary so I am guessing that some fermentation did happen. The beer has been in the secondary for 5 days and I am tempted to just get it bottled, open up my secondary and apply my lessons learned. I stopped myself and decided that I should join the forum that I look to for answers. Hopefully my mistakes and the knowledge from the veterans can keep me going in the right direction.

Well, thats awesome that you joined!!!!
Now on to that stout of yours. First I would wait another week at least before I messed with the bottling. Always take a couple of days of consecutive hydro readings to make sure that your beer has stopped fermenting. If you dont then you could have some dangerous bottle bombs on your hands. Second, RELAX you've made fine beer. Will it win best of show? Probably not. But you're gonna drink it like it's going out of style! :D ALWAYS check to see what your OG is. NEVER peek in the lid of the bucket. And try to relax. Everything is going to be alright!!!! :mug:

Just let it sit for another 2-3 weeks. It's a stout, extra time in bulk only makes them better.

Thanks for the advice fellas, looks as though I am going to sit it out for a bit in order to be safe and allow my beer to finish its business. It’s good to know that I have little to worry about and now I can concentrate on the next one. I will be sure to get those hydrometer readings this time...

OK, it ended up tasting pretty good and my friends and family sent me compliments. I have brewed 4 more since then and applied my lessons learned.

Back