Issues with lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DriveShaft

Reaction score
Iv been having trouble getting my corny kegs full of a beer to lagering temperature. It is as if they are super insulated and take forever to lower inside my freezer. Has anyone else had this issue? Any secrets to getting the temp down quicker?

You have them in a freezer so you have an air to metal to liquid interface and it takes time for the heat to be removed. If you set the keg in cold water, you have a liquid to metal to liquid interface and the heat can be removed from the beer quicker and the interface from air to liquid will be larger (tub of cold water) but you need a way to get the water cold and that can take time too.

I lager in the same carboy I ferment the beer in. Just leave it in there and turn down the temperature. I have racked it off to a clean carboy, but that's extra work and doesn't seem to improve the beer. You could also chill the beer down to lager temp in the carboy, then rack to the keg.

Latest posts

Back