Issue removing/unscrewing spout off of Intertap SS faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLionKing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had an issue where they were unable to unscrew the standard spout off of their SS Intertap faucet? I'm not a strong guy but man, it's not budging. I didn't think I placed it on that tight.
Any thoughts/ideas/prayers appreciated!

Mine get stuck occasionally. Make sure the spout and your hands are dry. If needed use one of those silicon pads for removing lids, works good on the spout as well as it is a little more grippy.

Actually I was going to suggest running really hot water through it in case there's gunk, soften it up a bit.

A small strap wrench would probably allow you to get some extra torque on it without having to worry about gouging/marring it.

I am having this same problem. Not sure if you were able to overcome it, but I’m considering buying a strap wrench at this point, because I’ve already scratched up the standard tip pretty good with pliers. Would love to know if anyone’s found a good method when this happens.

Thanks for any advice!

I wrap bicycle inner tube strips tightly around things I don't want to scar when using pliers. The rubber grips the metal tightly and you can really put the torque to it without damage.

I tried the freezing then boiling, bike tire inner tube and wrench, then bench vice, and the only result I got was that I now need to buy a new replacement tube since both the wrench and vice just pierced holes in the bike tube and still couldn’t get enough of a grip due to the odd shape and everything.

Then I broke down and went to the store to buy this “Husky 8 in. Strap Wrench” (the one my local store had in stock)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/300117125
It says it goes down to 1” and the nozzle at the fatter end is closer to 2”. It took a little effort to get it to close down small enough to hold it well, but once it got a grip on it, it came open quite easily. I did the whole thing in about 30 seconds in the car in the parking lot of the hardware store to make sure I didn’t need to return it or buy something else. Unfortunately the packaging prevents you from trying before buying, but hopefully it’ll work for you too.

thanks!

As Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones says "your right, your other right!" - Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey"

I've never had one not able to unscrew by hand. I'd suggest soaking in Coke-a-cola, but that might kill the faucets since it'll eat away teeth.

Let us know if you figure anything out.

I've never had one not able to unscrew by hand. I'd suggest soaking in Coke-a-cola, but that might kill the faucets since it'll eat away teeth.
Yeah, but teeth are not stainless steel. If soda was bad for stainless then people here wouldn't be kegging homemade soda.

A quick search confirms phosporic and citric acids (common acids in soda) do not affect stainless at room temps and below.

Maybe just running it through a few cycles in the dishwasher would help dissolve whatever is gluing it on.

Don't use dishwasher liquid though as it contains abrasives.
I don't think it'd be any better than a long soak in hot water though...

Cheers!

Don't use dishwasher liquid though as it contains abrasives.
I don't think it'd be any better than a long soak in hot water though...

Cheers!
Only very cheap powdered dishwasher detergents contain any abrasives. Those cheap ones actually have sand in them. I disagree that soaking in hot water would be as effective. In a dishwasher, you have a continuous flow of hot liquid washing away deposits. Dishwashing detergents contain surfactants and enzymes to help dissolve the deposits as well. Since the deposits are likely in the threads, it may take several washings to see an effect, if ever.

Back