Issue of Chlorine In Water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darken99

Reaction score
Just wondering if there is an issue with having chlorine in water for mashing and sparging. I have been aging my beer a few days before I brew to allow it to evaporate but not sure if this is required. I am just finding starting my water temp at 22c is not very efficient when I could be starting with 65-70c from my hot water heater.

Thoughts on this.

I have been aging my beer a few days before I brew to allow it to evaporate but not sure if this is required.

I don't get this. What does this mean?

But you don't want chlorine or chloramine in your water. Charcoal filters will work, as will Campden tablets. I don't think boiling will drive off chloromine but I may wrong about that.

Chlorine can be removed my letting water stand as you say, or boiling which will do the job faster. Many city water supplies use chloramine though, which is more stable than chlorine and cannot be removed using these methods. Google your areas water profile and it will tell you if you have chlorine or chloramine. If chloramine, it can be removed by adding campden tablets to the boiling water. One tablet treats 20 gallons, so 1/4 to 1/2 is enough.

I'd stay away from using the hot water tank. Cool, fresh running tap water if it tastes good or bottled water is best.

well my city does not use chloramine so that is good. I will continue evaporating it off. What is the downside of using water from the hot water tank?

Lots of minerals come from the hot water tank. You can save yourself some time and just add a campden tablet or even some freshwater aquarium water conditioner to neutralize the chlorine instantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

well my city does not use chloramine so that is good. I will continue evaporating it off. What is the downside of using water from the hot water tank?

Its generally a good idea to avoid drinking/cooking with water from the hot water tank because its sitting there for extended periods in contact with aluminum, sediment, and who knows what else.

Back