iSpindle Concentrators, Repeaters, Bridges, Hubs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great, thanks for sharing this @ZeSlammy. I have two green-tab 1.4" TFTs that have just arrived in the post. I'm hoping to try iSpindHub out soon with an ESP8266 D1 Mini. I have some AP security questions for the future, like can you password the AP, but that can wait. First I'm looking forward to getting it up and running and tweaking the display :cool:
Has anyone used ispinhub with @mper GravityMon iSpindel firmware? I've built 6 Jeffery 2.69 versions running the v1.0 Gravmon firmware. I haven't quite worked out how the ispinhub will intercept the ispindel data outputs.

Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I have both the ispindel hub and ispindel connected to the same network. I configure the Ispindel as so....

Http
Server address: 10.50.17.163 (IP address of HUB)
Port: 80
Path/URL: /ispindel

The Ispindel seems to be logging every 30s as I have it set but no new data is showing up on the Ispindelhub except for the two example files. I also Tried connecting the Ispindel to the Hub directly by connecting to the hubs ap and changing the server address to 192.168.4.1. Also no luck.... :(
Screenshot 2022-09-19 094504.png

Can you connect to the iSpindHub and have some logs ?

Can you try just ispindel and not /ispindel for the path ? I need to put everything back together to test stuff out. I should be good to go by wednesday

Can you connect to the iSpindHub and have some logs ?

Can you try just ispindel and not /ispindel for the path ? I need to put everything back together to test stuff out. I should be good to go by wednesday
Yes I can connect to the ISpindhub. But the only logs I see are the two example logs that came with the initial install. I changed the url/path to Ispindel rather then /Ispindel. Still no new logs showing up.

Yes I can connect to the ISpindhub. But the only logs I see are the two example logs that came with the initial install. I changed the url/path to Ispindel rather then /Ispindel. Still no new logs showing up.
It started working. I changed the path/url back to /ispindel and it started recieving logs. Thanks! Will try connecting straight to the hub ap and see if it will work.

I have one more question. Why does the ISpinhub need an internet connection to show data on the display? I want to set up the ISpindhub in a location with no wifi. I tried connecting the ISpindHub to an access point (that has no internet access), I set up using an old router I had lying around. The ISpinhub would say connected but would not go further then that. I know the hub is also set up to be a repeater but could it be manipulated to use without an internet connection?

I have one more question. Why does the ISpinhub need an internet connection to show data on the display? I want to set up the ISpindhub in a location with no wifi. I tried connecting the ISpindHub to an access point (that has no internet access), I set up using an old router I had lying around. The ISpinhub would say connected but would not go further then that. I know the hub is also set up to be a repeater but could it be manipulated to use without an internet connection?
I need to work on this one yes. Allow it to be "just" a display. It is mostly "blocked" because it goes looking for a time synchronisation server.

I recently purchased an iSpindel Relay and two iSpindels from Nautilis. The two iSpindels work as expected when connected directly to Brewfather. They also report on the Relay when connected there. However, the Relay does not communicate with Brewfather although on the same network and configured for Brewfather. Any suggestions on troubleshooting?

I recently purchased an iSpindel Relay and two iSpindels from Nautilis. The two iSpindels work as expected when connected directly to Brewfather. They also report on the Relay when connected there. However, the Relay does not communicate with Brewfather although on the same network and configured for Brewfather. Any suggestions on troubleshooting?
Did you check with Nautilis? Don't think that this is the right place to ask this question but what is the update interval that you use to send data to BF?
This is limited to 900 sec. anything below this will be ignored.
Maybe you should use the Custom Stream for the Relay to report to BF?

Unfortunately crickets from Nautilis. Update interval is set to 15min/900sec.
Tried setting a custom stream as well according to the Nautilis directions for BF, which should 'send the temperature of the thermometer from the relay'. Nothing showing under custom stream in BF.

I have used the 1.4 tft connected directly to the esp8226 (d1 mini).

I can get it to connect once, but then nothing updates. The iSpindel is set to report every 900s. This isn't happening as the screen and log never update. I left it ovenight last night and there was just one entry. I did some messing around after work this evening. I did get it to connect to the Hub again. But one entry in the log only.

I uploaded the direct plug v 6 alpha.

I am not sure what to do next.

Attachments

• 20230405_175806.jpg
    20230405_175806.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230405_175732.jpg
    20230405_175732.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Uh ...
It says "Last seen 17 minutes ago". Does the iSpindel communicates ok with the Hub ? Can you set up logs on the hub ?

Uh ...
It says "Last seen 17 minutes ago". Does the iSpindel communicates ok with the Hub ? Can you set up logs on the hub ?
Yes, it can connect. It connects once when turned on, but never again after that. It's almost like it doesn't get out of sleep mode. I am trying now with a different ispindel unit. It connected straight away. I will see what happens while I am out for dinner.

Looks like a defective iSpindel unit. I'll have to check the soldering.

I have used the 1.4 tft connected directly to the esp8226 (d1 mini).

I can get it to connect once, but then nothing updates. The iSpindel is set to report every 900s. This isn't happening as the screen and log never update. I left it ovenight last night and there was just one entry. I did some messing around after work this evening. I did get it to connect to the Hub again. But one entry in the log only.

I uploaded the direct plug v 6 alpha.

I am not sure what to do next.
Does it wakeup as intended? Could be an hardware with the iSpindle issue if it only reports once. Check the resistor on the RST pin (think its called R1 in the schema).

Does it wakeup as intended? Could be an hardware with the iSpindle issue if it only reports once. Check the resistor on the RST pin (think its called R1 in the schema).

I put the soldering iron back on the D0 pin to re-melt the solder. This seems to have fixed it.

I have now calibrated both ISpindel units and both communicate with the hub.

I will do a brew next weekend to try it all out.

I have put the iSpindel into its 1st Brew. It doesn't connect very well to the iSpindel Hub.

If I leave the fridge door open it connects up. If the door is closed it is very sporadic.

The Wemos mini are not the pro with the external antenna. I do have an iSpindel that does have a mini pro. Would the Hub be better off being a mini pro too?

I do have this lying around. Would it improve things?

Attachments

• 20230419_201535.jpg
    20230419_201535.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I have put the iSpindel into its 1st Brew. It doesn't connect very well to the iSpindel Hub.

If I leave the fridge door open it connects up. If the door is closed it is very sporadic.

The Wemos mini are not the pro with the external antenna. I do have an iSpindel that does have a mini pro. Would the Hub be better off being a mini pro too?

I do have this lying around. Would it improve things?
The D1 mini you have there will take the repeater software from martin ger and do the job great. I'm assuming though that you have either a D1 mini standard or a Lolin esp8266 board that you have used to make the ispindel hub.

I have followed these instructions to attach an external antenna to the non external D1 mini and it works well and is very easy.

https://www.instructables.com/External-Antenna-for-ESP8266/
I picked up an old router that had external antennas at a recyclers and just opened it up and cut them out and soldered them in ( one per repeater)..

The D1 mini you have there will take the repeater software from martin ger and do the job great. I'm assuming though that you have either a D1 mini standard or a Lolin esp8266 board that you have used to make the ispindel hub.

I have followed these instructions to attach an external antenna to the non external D1 mini and it works well and is very easy.

https://www.instructables.com/External-Antenna-for-ESP8266/
I picked up an old router that had external antennas at a recyclers and just opened it up and cut them out and soldered them in ( one per repeater)..
Yes, I used a plain D1 Mini for the hub. The fridge is outside on the back patio. The iSpindel hub in is in the same room as the router. Total distance is about 10ft to either. Seems like is a repeater with the antenna is to be used I might as well just use the iSpindel with the Mini Pro already in it and flash a fresh Wemos Mini Pro for the hub.

Confounding things is I put the iSpindel in before checking the time in deep sleep. I think I changed it to 2 miutes during a testing phase and didn't change it back. It looks like the battery didn't last 3 days. It was fully charged before going in.

Let me think..... and experiment

Yes, I used a plain D1 Mini for the hub. The fridge is outside on the back patio. The iSpindel hub in is in the same room as the router. Total distance is about 10ft to either. Seems like is a repeater with the antenna is to be used I might as well just use the iSpindel with the Mini Pro already in it and flash a fresh Wemos Mini Pro for the hub.

Confounding things is I put the iSpindel in before checking the time in deep sleep. I think I changed it to 2 miutes during a testing phase and didn't change it back. It looks like the battery didn't last 3 days. It was fully charged before going in.

Let me think..... and experiment
Are you using ispindel firmware or this?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/replacement-firmware-for-ispindel-gravitymon.698058/
Gravitymon allows you to find out and adjust intervals during a brew amongst other things.
Tricky on ispindel but I can do it by triggering reed switch I've fitted but bit more fiddly.
Amazing support as well for gravitymon.
Short interval and poor signal does hammer the battery.

Is there any chance of adding the ability to push data from iSpindHub to Fermentrack in the future?

I think gravity mon can forward to several devices. Need to look at the info to be sure.
Yep, you can send data from the iSpindel direct to Fermentrack. I'm having the issue of getting the signal direct out of SS fermenters, and was hoping to be able to use iSpindHub as a signal booster to send the data to Fermentrack, similarly to how it can send data to BrewFather.

Yep, you can send data from the iSpindel direct to Fermentrack. I'm having the issue of getting the signal direct out of SS fermenters, and was hoping to be able to use iSpindHub as a signal booster to send the data to Fermentrack, similarly to how it can send data to BrewFather.
I forward my Ispindels and brewpiless to a wifi repeater made with a D1 mini. Before using this I had trouble with iffy signal out of a SS fridge but in a plastic fermenter and about 10metres from hub via a drywall and wood floor.
I added a supplementary antenna to the D1 mini repeater.

I forward my Ispindels and brewpiless to a wifi repeater made with a D1 mini.
Yep, ordered a D1 Mini Pro to do this. I was hoping that I'd be able to use the iSpindHub as a relay so I'd be able to leave my Pi on my main network, instead of switching it to the repeater AP.

Yep, ordered a D1 Mini Pro to do this. I was hoping that I'd be able to use the iSpindHub as a relay so I'd be able to leave my Pi on my main network, instead of switching it to the repeater AP.
D1 mini will do it with an antenna just soldered on. Dead easy and cheap if you pick up an aerial off a scrap router.

https://github.com/ZeSlammy/iSpindHub
You need:
(1) soldering iron and know how to solder

STOP here if you can not solder.

(1) ESP8266 based board, like the D1-Mini [it is a small "computer"] and I prefer the original maker Lonin... but there are MANY knockoffs that will probably work
(1) screen - see the github link above
(8) wires- 20 or 22 AWG - length TBD
(1) FREE programmer - BrewFlasher
(1) good quality MICRO USB cable - most cheap ones do not work to program
(1) MICRO USB power source

step 1 - get all the items above
step 2 - program the board with the USB cable and BREWFLASHER
step 3 - wire the screen to the board (soldering is required)
step 4 - power up the board
step 5 - join the new temp wifi access point with a phone or tablet see THIS POST
step 6 - goto 192.168.1.109 and configure the iSindleHub
step 7 - reconfigure the Ispindel to talk to the iSindleHub see THIS POST

I do not use Brewfather (BF), so I am no help there.

Also note the 1.4" screen with the built in plug does NOT seem to work correctly.

I did make a holder for the 2" screen:
View attachment 758341 View attachment 758342

Just wondering if anyone has a link to the .stl files for the screen holder/stand?

Cheers!

I must have missed that one. It's a good looking model. Hopefully @JSB241 can share it. If not, let me know and maybe I can recreate something similar. I don't have the screen to use as a reference, tho. So you'd have to give me some measurements.

I must have missed that one. It's a good looking model. Hopefully @JSB241 can share it. If not, let me know and maybe I can recreate something similar. I don't have the screen to use as a reference, tho. So you'd have to give me some measurements.
Agreed....I really like the simplicity of it! It would be very easy to place on top of my fermenters. I'd have to modify it since I'll be using the 1.4" screen.

Is anyone using this repeater with ispindels running gravitymon firmware ?
I want to knock up one of these and would like to keep using gravitymon on my ispindels.
Cheers

Is anyone using this repeater with ispindels running gravitymon firmware ?
I want to knock up one of these and would like to keep using gravitymon on my ispindels.
Cheers
I don't see why this wouldn't work, gravitymon is very flexible with ways to send data to multiple different targets.

I tried searching and could not find anything, so I hope this is the right place for this. I have an ispindel working well with Brewer's Friend except the ABV, which is showing at like 936% ABV. Any ideas on how to correct?

I tried searching and could not find anything, so I hope this is the right place for this. I have an ispindel working well with Brewer's Friend except the ABV, which is showing at like 936% ABV. Any ideas on how to correct?
The ispindel thread is this one

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/ispindle-diy-electronic-hydrometer.598187/
notice the different spelling hence more tricky to find.

But are you using ispindel software or gravitymon? Have you recently updated or has it always shown this " raised " abv figure.

My first thought is the formula, I'm not a user of brewfather but use my ispindels either with brewspy or brewfather.

Put the ispindel in config mode using the little reset button, grounding pins etc. Log into the ispindel network and look at the configuration screen, make sure that it has been configured on a flat surface ( battery down ). This sets the 90 degree angle.
Vertical will then be 0 degrees.

See if this changes anything.
I'm not sure if brewers friend works out the angle and formula or it uses the formula provided by the ispindel. I'd suspect this is where the issue is or there is a set of units in plato that are wanted in SG is another consideration.

You may have checked these things already.

Back