iSpindle Concentrators, Repeaters, Bridges, Hubs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ispindel thread is this one

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/ispindle-diy-electronic-hydrometer.598187/
notice the different spelling hence more tricky to find.

But are you using ispindel software or gravitymon? Have you recently updated or has it always shown this " raised " abv figure.

My first thought is the formula, I'm not a user of brewfather but use my ispindels either with brewspy or brewfather.

Put the ispindel in config mode using the little reset button, grounding pins etc. Log into the ispindel network and look at the configuration screen, make sure that it has been configured on a flat surface ( battery down ). This sets the 90 degree angle.
Vertical will then be 0 degrees.

See if this changes anything.
I'm not sure if brewers friend works out the angle and formula or it uses the formula provided by the ispindel. I'd suspect this is where the issue is or there is a set of units in plato that are wanted in SG is another consideration.

You may have checked these things already.
thanks for the reply. This is my first fermentation using the ispindel. It was supposedly pre-configured, and the gravity readings are accurate. I am using the existing software and brewer's friend. I should probably recalibrate it regardless.

Did someone already tested this iSpinhub with the D1 mini Pro? I tried it today but I'm getting the messages:
'Début du Loop
On a ouvert le Dir'

After I configured the Wifi and the reboot.

1683815956753.png

I would like to use a D1 mini Pro so I can use an external antenne.

I tried searching and could not find anything, so I hope this is the right place for this. I have an ispindel working well with Brewer's Friend except the ABV, which is showing at like 936% ABV. Any ideas on how to correct?
Must be some setting i brewers friend since the abv is calculated there. Check if it wants plato or sg which might be the problem.

Is anyone using this repeater with ispindels running gravitymon firmware ?
I want to knock up one of these and would like to keep using gravitymon on my ispindels.
Cheers
It should work,but if there are issues i will fix it. Let me know which repeater you are using

I would think it should work with the pro, I use the method in post 302 for external antenna.
Most of my problems occurred between the ispindhub and my network rather than in the ispindhub

Boy am I frustrated
I have followed the Peter Symonds video about getting Fermwatch up and running but I cannot get it to work
1. Flashed the ESP8266 with Brewpiless 4.2.1 using Brewflasher - no problem.
2. logged onto brewpiless and amended as per the video - esp8266 reset
3. Brewflasher would not install Fermwatch bin file so I used NodeMcu to flash Fermwatch - success
4. Logged onto Fermwatch and entered the details including a newly minted API and Base 64 encoded script
5. After reset logged onto Fermwatch - doesn't ask for password and TFT shows its failed.
6. redid it as suggested - same result
7. did a factory rest for the ESP8266 and reinstalled everything as per the video - same result
8. tried limiting the Wi-Fi to 2.4G - no different
9. Used Brewpiless 4.2.1 bin and Fermwatch v1.1
10. my wifi admin is 192.168.1.1 and my ESP8266 has been assigned a static 192.168.1.21
11. don't know where to go from here

should add that I had Brewfather running with ispindel connected batches and the Postman said all OK

Boy am I frustrated
I have followed the Peter Symonds video about getting Fermwatch up and running but I cannot get it to work
1. Flashed the ESP8266 with Brewpiless 4.2.1 using Brewflasher - no problem.
2. logged onto brewpiless and amended as per the video - esp8266 reset
3. Brewflasher would not install Fermwatch bin file so I used NodeMcu to flash Fermwatch - success
4. Logged onto Fermwatch and entered the details including a newly minted API and Base 64 encoded script
5. After reset logged onto Fermwatch - doesn't ask for password and TFT shows its failed.
6. redid it as suggested - same result
7. did a factory rest for the ESP8266 and reinstalled everything as per the video - same result
8. tried limiting the Wi-Fi to 2.4G - no different
9. Used Brewpiless 4.2.1 bin and Fermwatch v1.1
10. my wifi admin is 192.168.1.1 and my ESP8266 has been assigned a static 192.168.1.21
11. don't know where to go from here
Hi Sorry to hear about your troubles. I tested Fermwatch 1.1 on a D1 Mini 8266 and with BrewPiLess 4.1 running on an ESP32. Perhaps you could flash BPL with 4.1 and see if that makes a difference to the connectivity.
Cheers
Peter

Thanks Peter - So is BPI is flashed to a ESP32 and fermwatch is flashed to a ESP8266 - how are they connected. I know with the 2.8 SPI TFT there are not enough pins to run temp, cooling and heating - and I was under the impression that Fermwatch will not run on the ESP32 which has enough pins - bit confused.

Hi Sorry to hear about your troubles. I tested Fermwatch 1.1 on a D1 Mini 8266 and with BrewPiLess 4.1 running on an ESP32. Perhaps you could flash BPL with 4.1 and see if that makes a difference to the connectivity.
Cheers
Peter
which bin file should i run

Attachments

• esp8266 bin files.PNG
    esp8266 bin files.PNG
    163.6 KB · Views: 0
Thanks Peter - So is BPI is flashed to a ESP32 and fermwatch is flashed to a ESP8266 - how are they connected. I know with the 2.8 SPI TFT there are not enough pins to run temp, cooling and heating - and I was under the impression that Fermwatch will not run on the ESP32 which has enough pins - bit confused.
Yes that is correct. Fermwatch has the TFT attached. The BPL uses MQTT to send information to FW. see diagram

Attachments

• BPL-FW setup_2023-06-14_09-43-34.png
    BPL-FW setup_2023-06-14_09-43-34.png
    221.5 KB · Views: 0
Hi Pete
Can't get it to go. - I know you are not a coder ad nor am I - but I am computer literate.
I reconfigured to run brewpiless version 4.1 on a dedicated factory resetted esp8266 and then accessed its portal and set the Wi-Fi to my system - all good so far - its recognised on my Wi-Fi as 192.168.1 24. i then amended the log file as per the video setting fermwatch as 192.168.1.21, and saved it - all good so far - and i can access brewpiless by typing the ip address into my browser.
i also have another esp8266 connected to the spi tft 2.8 screen as per the connection diagrams - which works ok. - i then flashed that 8266 with Fermwatch v1.1 using node-mcu flasher at 9600 baud ( that's is what is written on the PCB of the 8266) - which worked ok - it shows in my system as 192.168.1.21 - I then accessed the Fermwatch AP and entered all the relevant details including a copy and pasted base64 encoded script which had been confirmed using postman as suggested - I also had brewfather running and a batch fermenting.
but it will not connect to brewfather - don't know what i am doing wrong.
my computer, brewpiless and fermwatch are all showing in attached devices on my router at 2.4ghz

Just reflashed both 8266 with brewpiless 4.2.1 on one and fermwatch v1.1 on the other using nodemcupyflasher as recommended - no change - I suspect the problem lies in the Wi-Fi manager for fermwatch - it says the entered details have been saved but when used again all details are default.

I suspect the problem lies in the Wi-Fi manager for fermwatch - it says the entered details have been saved but when used again all details are default.
I am unfamiliar with the project, but it sounds like the device cannot connect to WiFi. What I would try:
  1. Erase your device with NodeMCU (this is done by BrewFlasher, I'm not sure why you were not able to do it)
  2. Re-try flashing and joining the WiFi network
  3. If it still does not join, watching the serial log may help

Just reflashed both 8266 with brewpiless 4.2.1 on one and fermwatch v1.1 on the other using nodemcupyflasher as recommended - no change - I suspect the problem lies in the Wi-Fi manager for fermwatch - it says the entered details have been saved but when used again all details are default.
OK I will try to replicate the problem on my 8266FW and the Version 1.1 bin. So I have a complete picture, are you using an iSpindel and if so is it connected to BPL or to Brewfather.

OK I will try to replicate the problem on my 8266FW and the Version 1.1 bin. So I have a complete picture, are you using an iSpindel and if so is it connected to BPL or to Brewfather.
yes i have an ispindel connected to the batch, which is working ok

yes i have an ispindel connected to the batch, which is working ok
Right - firstly thank you as you appear to be the first one to actually build a Fermwatch. Secondly - my apologies as I left the wm.resetsettings uncommented out.
Since you mentioned your problems I revisited what I perpetuated and have hopefully fixed a few other things as well!
PS I could not get BrewFlasher to work.

Added hostname, as having to read the chipid or remembering the IP was a pain, fixed pressure display from BPL now Bpressure,
minor display formatting issues corrected
Display longer brew names up to 36 characters long without wordwrapping messing up the screen display
Changed bpl to bpl42 Need to change in BrewPiLess MQTT settings
Change BF from v1 to v2 per API changes
Commented out reset settings every time! line 972
Please try the bin file located at
FermWatch/bin/8266-FW_1.2.bin at main · Hwerow/FermWatch

and let me know how you get on
Cheers

Thanks Peter
OK - amended BPI to BPL42 and reflashed the 8266 with V1.2 - logged on and it connected to my wifi as 192.168.1.22 - made that static and went back into BPL and amended the IP address for Fermwatch to 192.168.1.22, it. reset Fermwatch and logged in again it logged onto my Wi-Fi as before and I added all the details and hit save - said it saved and then just stalled.
Manually logged on to my main wifi and Fermwatch started up but with your default ip address - it then connected to brewfather and said its waiting for an update - been like that for three hours - I suspect the Ip address mismatch is the cause.
The screen also has the time at 10:00 which I suspect is the GMT offset for Australia.
I can just imagine all the dramas you have had along the way. Time for a homebrewed Celtic Red

Thanks Peter
OK - amended BPI to BPL42 and reflashed the 8266 with V1.2 - logged on and it connected to my wifi as 192.168.1.22 - made that static and went back into BPL and amended the IP address for Fermwatch to 192.168.1.22, it. reset Fermwatch and logged in again it logged onto my Wi-Fi as before and I added all the details and hit save - said it saved and then just stalled.
Manually logged on to my main wifi and Fermwatch started up but with your default ip address - it then connected to brewfather and said its waiting for an update - been like that for three hours - I suspect the Ip address mismatch is the cause.
The screen also has the time at 10:00 which I suspect is the GMT offset for Australia.
I can just imagine all the dramas you have had along the way. Time for a homebrewed Celtic Red
Let's rule out the IP - I have made the static IP address default 192.168.1.22 suggest try this version
https://github.com/Hwerow/FermWatch/blob/main/bin/8266-FW_1.2a.bin
Beers will be in order here very shortly!

won't connect to bf now.
do i need to fill out the Wi-Fi details after logging on to fermwatch - it says its connected but of course it needs the api encoded data - i have changed my Api details in bf so many times now, they are probably concerned about my sanity..

won't connect to bf now.
do i need to fill out the Wi-Fi details after logging on to fermwatch - it says its connected but of course it needs the api encoded data - i have changed my Api details in bf so many times now, they are probably concerned about my sanity..
yes When you are in the Fermwatch AP and the login screen comes up fill in your SSID, password, Static IP details , authorisation key and other choices and hit save Don't use autocomplete for the network. Don't think cnnected means anything other than you are using the AP

Hello All, Please note that I have updated FermWatch to version 1.2

Added hostname, as having to read the chipid or remembering the IP was a pain, fixed pressure display from BPL now Bpressure Minor display formatting issues corrected. Display longer brew names up to 36 characters long without wordwrapping messing up the screen display Changed bpl to bpl42 all - Lower case, you will need to set/revise in BrewPiLess Mqtt. Change Brewfather from v1 to v2 per API changes Commented out reset settings every time!

Release 1.2 · Hwerow/FermWatch

If you are unable to connect to BrewFather I strongly advise that you use Postman to see whether your Authorisation is working. Please note that FermWatch works with ONE batch in Brewfather, with its status set to Fermenting If you attach your iSpindel to BrewPiless then forward to Brewfather, rather than forwarding to Brewfather direct you might get interesting results!

The Youtube Video is still applicable to version 1.2

Cheers

Hi everyone,
I have a 2.4" TFT (red pcb) that works well with a NodeMCU and I was thinking of trying it out with iSpindHUB..would it be possible? Should I rewrite the PIN assignation or the default ones are compatible?

Hello Everyone. Good News, I'm back at it :D Thanks to AndreQ, I took the time to update my code so that it compiles with the latest version of libs.

Regarding the 2.4" TFT, send me a picture, I may have the same one so I'll try out PIN assignation.

Now onto the list of issues / requests

Back