iSpindle Concentrators, Repeaters, Bridges, Hubs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Korev could i ask you what you had to do to get this amazing project to access the data to brewfather
What do you mean ?
The latest release is sending information to BF.
You want the same layout as @korev ? I'm currently working on revamping all screens and make them easily editable.

@Peter Walker, We have had the power out for a bit. Is this still something that you are looking for a response from me? Cheers
Hi I am not sure what I want actually,I am awaiting parts to make this but would love to hear how you set yours up for connecting to Brewfather what I am going to use is a D1 mini connected to a 2” screen. I will 3D print a case and probably connect via DuPont connectors. How do you set the it to connect to WiFi and the Brewfather thanks for any assistance you can offer

I just found this thread. Very timely, as I plan on doing my first pressure fermenting in corny kegs and wondered if my iSpindel would be able to get a signal out of the keg. Maybe with one of these sitting right next to the keg it'll have a better chance.

Can this be used without the display and just send the data to Fermentrack and monitor there?

I'm also a bit confused how this all "connects" via wifi. Does the iSpindHub connect to the home WiFi and also has an AP running at the same that the iSpindel connects to? Is there a web server on the iSpindHub that I can use to get the iSpindel to talk to Fermentrack? I didn't see any of this info in the documentation on GitHub (but I could easily have missed it). I don't think it does have a web server running because I get a "connection refused" when trying to connect to it with a browser.

I did connect the iSpindel to the iSpindHub and the iSpindHub to my home wifi, but there is no data coming through to Fermentrack. But I can't log into anything (or don't know where to) to verify much either.

Or in my case (since I don't have a supported display, nor really even want one), should I just set up an ESP8266 as a WiFi extender like is explained here? Homemade WiFi exender using the ESP8266 -- but then I question whether I will be able to get the iSpindel data into Fermentrack. (or I don't know how to do that anyway).

Or - maybe this is just a bad idea anyway? I've read other threads where the iSpindel can't take the pressure and fills with beer and sinks in the corny keg. Is it just a bad idea to use an iSpindel when fermenting under pressure in a corny keg?

Last edited:
@rkhanso

I have been pressure fermenting up to 30 psi with my Ispindels, I do use an Oring inside the lid since one sank ( but it resuscitated okay ) .

These are the ones I bought
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32862998881.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dVyqyKgI have done a couple of pressure ferments with these in and been ok. If china wasn't closer I'd send you some spares but they'll come quicker from china or be sourced by you locally faster I'm sure.

I think that really hot ferment and high pressure more of an issue than cool and pressure. But it's good insurance.
THe idea came from this website
https://www.diyhomebrewers.com/
Just brewed my first NEIPA and the Ispindel sank on day three when I allowed a bit of pressure to build up. It had been working fine.
Fished it out and this is what it looked like.
View attachment 728984View attachment 728985

Opened it up and smell of acetone really from the liquid.

Had no hopes for it at all and expected to just salvage the bottle and sled.

Took it all out and gave the electronics a good scrub over with isopropyl alcohol and left it to dry in a draught and the sunshine.

Then into a bag with silica gel dessicant further 48 hours.

Yesterday plugged it in to charge, bit stiff getting the usb plug in but it got there.
Expected fireworks when I powered up the charger or nothing and amazed the red light went on.
After a few hours charging thought to myself better test it works as light was blue.

Can't believe it worked straightaway.

Just need to reassemble and calibrate again.

I'm flabbergasted. It was in fermenter for ten days submerged and the beer tastes great as well.
View attachment 728987

I built one of these to sort out the signal issue from inside the fridge and it relays to my main network and brewpiless.

https://github.com/martin-ger/esp_wifi_repeater
I fitted a booster antenna on the D1 mini to improve the signal even more, used an old wifi antenna I had spare.
You could salvage external antennas from an old WIFI router and solder those on as well.

https://www.instructables.com/External-Antenna-for-ESP8266/

But I do also have Slammy running a 2 inch screen which will be in play once I'm converted to brewfather.

@DuncB Regarding the O rings, I found that the ones I got didn't seal very well, in fact sealed worse that without. I'm assuming that's because they weren't quite the right size. When I took the lid off my iSpindel after fitting a O ring, found that the O ring I had had partly come out of the recess in the lid, hence the poor seal. I might get some of these and see if it makes a difference? Is that link the ones you actually have used?

I just found this thread. Very timely, as I plan on doing my first pressure fermenting in corny kegs and wondered if my iSpindel would be able to get a signal out of the keg. Maybe with one of these sitting right next to the keg it'll have a better chance.

Can this be used without the display and just send the data to Fermentrack and monitor there?

I'm also a bit confused how this all "connects" via wifi. Does the iSpindHub connect to the home WiFi and also has an AP running at the same that the iSpindel connects to? Is there a web server on the iSpindHub that I can use to get the iSpindel to talk to Fermentrack? I didn't see any of this info in the documentation on GitHub (but I could easily have missed it). I don't think it does have a web server running because I get a "connection refused" when trying to connect to it with a browser.

I did connect the iSpindel to the iSpindHub and the iSpindHub to my home wifi, but there is no data coming through to Fermentrack. But I can't log into anything (or don't know where to) to verify much either.

Or in my case (since I don't have a supported display, nor really even want one), should I just set up an ESP8266 as a WiFi extender like is explained here? Homemade WiFi exender using the ESP8266 -- but then I question whether I will be able to get the iSpindel data into Fermentrack. (or I don't know how to do that anyway).

Or - maybe this is just a bad idea anyway? I've read other threads where the iSpindel can't take the pressure and fills with beer and sinks in the corny keg. Is it just a bad idea to use an iSpindel when fermenting under pressure in a corny keg?
I used the generic ESP8266 repeater set up that I linked above and it's working great.

@DuncB Regarding the O rings, I found that the ones I got didn't seal very well, in fact sealed worse that without. I'm assuming that's because they weren't quite the right size. When I took the lid off my iSpindel after fitting a O ring, found that the O ring I had had partly come out of the recess in the lid, hence the poor seal. I might get some of these and see if it makes a difference? Is that link the ones you actually have used?
This is the link from the order I made. They are working okay, I would say though they do fit the outer part of the cap, if you got ones that were 2mm rubber they might be even better as they would fill the top gap of the cap better. Although it could be this fact that they fit on the outer part of the cap with a bit of space on the inside of the ring that makes them work.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32862998881.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.27424c4dHbZNBH

I used the generic ESP8266 repeater set up that I linked above and it's working great.
Yes the Martin Ger repeater is what I made and used the lolin esp8266 to test it all and then built the repeater using a D1 mini.

Then repurposed the Lolin esp8266 for the slammy build.

Like the AP to which the iSpindel is connecting ?
Yep. Like in the document of @korev see screenshot.
1644767667948.png

You made it possible to change the SSID so maybe add an option to change the default password?

First, thanks to all that made this possible-so cool!
I spent all weekend building my own and getting it to work. 1st attempt worked, then didn't. I'm not sure if the D1 crapped out or I fried it trying to clean up some solder connections. Either way #1 can't be flashed anymore and doesn't emit a WIFI signal (it did before and kind of worked-it did show on the display but flickered on occasion).

Anyways, this is what I got from Amazon US:
Screen 1.77" and D1 Mini
full

Made 2 of these, second times the charm.
full

I got it to work (kind of) but have some questions.

1. If I delete all of the "original" iSpindels available, I get this error:
full

Only way I could "fix" it was to re-flash (using Brewflasher) and leaving just the "iSpindel022". Then re-configuring the hub again. Is there a to just have "MY" iSpindels show?

2. Is the Hub supposed to be used one-on-one or can you have multiple iSpindles (in use at the same time) on the same hub? It's possible for me to have two iSpindels in use at the same time. My plan was to have 1 hub for each iSpindel.

3. My file size only gets to 15 lines, even though it shows it goes well past that (43). Is it that the "original" ispindel022 is taking up too much space that it can't write beyond 15 lines? And the info displayed on the screen doesn't seem to match up with what's in the file. Is it supposed to go, °Tilt, Temp, Voltage, Gravity, ??? then RSSI ? My °Tilt, voltage, SG seem to match but my temp does not. Is there a conversion factor?
full

full

4. I got the time/date set to Chicago time, but the time stamp is +6 hours ahead.

5. Is it possible to have the data pushed (Target) to Ubidots? It looks like it may be similar to Little Bock. I'm currently not pushing the data at all. So it would be nice to at least pull the "full" file of data. Or even better, pull the data & see it on Ubidots (for me at least).

Only way I could "fix" it was to re-flash (using Brewflasher) and leaving just the "iSpindel022". Then re-configuring the hub again. Is there a to just have "MY" iSpindels show?

2. Is the Hub supposed to be used one-on-one or can you have multiple iSpindles (in use at the same time) on the same hub? It's possible for me to have two iSpindels in use at the same time. My plan was to have 1 hub for each iSpindel.

3. My file size only gets to 15 lines, even though it shows it goes well past that (43). Is it that the "original" ispindel022 is taking up too much space that it can't write beyond 15 lines? And the info displayed on the screen doesn't seem to match up with what's in the file. Is it supposed to go, °Tilt, Temp, Voltage, Gravity, ??? then RSSI ? My °Tilt, voltage, SG seem to match but my temp does not. Is there a conversion factor?

4. I got the time/date set to Chicago time, but the time stamp is +6 hours ahead.

5. Is it possible to have the data pushed (Target) to Ubidots? It looks like it may be similar to Little Bock. I'm currently not pushing the data at all. So it would be nice to at least pull the "full" file of data. Or even better, pull the data & see it on Ubidots (for me at least).
Hi @Ki-ri-n this project is still under development, most of your questions (remarks) have already been written in this thread (see previous messages) and @ZeSlammy has already added them to his To Do list (see github)

First, thanks to all that made this possible-so cool!
I spent all weekend building my own and getting it to work. 1st attempt worked, then didn't. I'm not sure if the D1 crapped out or I fried it trying to clean up some solder connections. Either way #1 can't be flashed anymore and doesn't emit a WIFI signal (it did before and kind of worked-it did show on the display but flickered on occasion).

Anyways, this is what I got from Amazon US:
Screen 1.77" and D1 Mini
full

Made 2 of these, second times the charm.
full

1 - I'm working on it, it's an annoyance.
2 - You can have multiple iSpindels talking to a single hub.
3 - Download is sorta broken, I'm working on it (back burner)
4 - You need to restart the iSpindHub once you change the TZ
5 - This week should be "New Targets week". So I might just throw UbiDots in there.

@ZeSlammy & @wd16261, thanks for all the work you've been putting into this, it's much appreciated! This really isn't my area of expertise so I'm a little slow on the up take.

Regarding #4, I believe I did restart the hub, but I'll check again.

When it is time to make an update (Using Brewflasher), do you have to redo all of your personal settings when it's re-flashed, or are the kept?

No pressure, we're all counting on you :rock:

Regarding #4, I believe I did restart the hub, but I'll check again.
Let me know.

When it is time to make an update (Using Brewflasher), do you have to redo all of your personal settings when it's re-flashed, or are the kept?
That's almost a tricky one. I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this topic.
Everything is saved in a JSON file BUT it might be overwritten when flashing.
Let me triple check.

Let me know.

I just checked, it's set to Chicago time but the data file page shows it +4 hours. Is there another place I should check it (currently not pushing data)?

On a side note, my "working" version, the screen flickers and sometimes goes blank. Without touching it, it comes back on. I had it running for several hours and today it's been off and on. Would that be a sign of a bad board or bad screen or something else? I know this may be hard to troubleshoot, but I'm debating ordering different screens or D1 minis or both?

@Ki-ri-n
Mine does briefly blank between the display changing from one ispindel output to the other. I'm using a 2 inch spi tft lcd.
Mine blinks too, but also goes full out "dark". I've left it plugged in and now it's fully lit. It also can be full white screen or have a really fait display. Did not start that way. I'm thinking there's something wrong with the voltage output of the D1 mini. But again, this is out of my wheel house. I'm just "good" enough to be dangerous 😜

I left it ON for a 1/2 hour and checked it, it's still on. Seems weird.

Last edited:
I just checked, it's set to Chicago time but the data file page shows it +4 hours. Is there another place I should check it (currently not pushing data)?
I can confirm this. My TimeZone is set to 'Europe/Brussels' but the time on the IspindHub and in the log file has a difference of -1 hour.

Local time of the last reading was: 12:47:42
Timenotcorrect1.JPG

Timenotcorrect2.JPG

Last edited:
@Peter Walker have a look at the attached pdf Cheers
Hi Peter sorry to be a pain but in your install notes you mentioned two files my screen .h and screen.cpp. I realise these are part of the coding, do these to be changed in ZeSlammy's software and if so can it be done using VScode and also where to locate these alternatives files. Many Thanks Peter Walker

Hi Peter sorry to be a pain but in your install notes you mentioned two files my screen .h and screen.cpp. I realise these are part of the coding, do these to be changed in ZeSlammy's software and if so can it be done using VScode and also where to locate these alternatives files. Many Thanks Peter Walker
Yeah they need to be used to recompile an alternate version.

So you need to put them in the src folder then compile.

I'm trying to get around that with a screen format (simple json file that can be uploaded).

Yes, you would need to replace the Slammy files with my edited versions. Have sent you a pm

Cheers
P

Yeah they need to be used to recompile an alternate version.

So you need to put them in the src folder then compile.

I'm trying to get around that with a screen format (simple json file that can be uploaded).
thanks for your reply, but i am stumped

Hi ZeSlammy I may sound a bit thick here but I tried to download your .bin file into but my version of VS code wouldn’t open it is it not compatible with this software

Hi many thanks for your support this the screen that I have
FAMKIT 3V/5.5V ILI9225 2.0 Inch Serial Port TFT Display Module Serial Peripheral Interface 176x220

sorry for what might be a silly question but does it matter which side the Dupont plugs are soldered into the D1 mini?

Back