iSpindle Concentrators, Repeaters, Bridges, Hubs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I did some additional tests.

I have 3x IspindHubs, one with a 1,4" display plugged onto a Wemos D1 Mini and 2x 1,8" display wired to an ESP8266 (this previously worked fine with the 1,7 display version).
And I have problems with both the 1,4" and the 1,7" version.
Both esp8266 with 1,8" display and the Wemos D1 mini are now giving me a white screen and the webserver is not running:

firmware_update_failed.jpg

With the D1 mini version I even tried to upload the firmware.bin and the spiffs.bin files with another tools and I have the same result

Manual upload.JPG

Manual upload2.JPG

White screen:
wemos_D1_mini_white screen.jpg

unfortunately I did not saved the previous versions so I can not rollback 😢

I don't know what exactly you mean by 'What are logs saying?'
Were can I found these logs?
In the serial monitor I just saw some rubbish.

In the meantime I found the sources files on Github first of the previous version and I could install this with the command:
esptool.py --port COM3 --chip esp8266 write_flash --flash_mode dio 0x00000 C:\Temp\firmware.bin 0x100000 C:\Temp\littlefs.bin

After this the Wemos D1 mini version was working again (did not tested the 2 other yet).

After that I tried it again with the latest version and I noticed that the 2de file that was downloaded with Brewflasher called 'spiffs.bin' instead of 'littlefs.bin'!
So I also used the files of the latest version from GitHub and with the same command:
esptool.py --port COM3 --chip esp8266 write_flash --flash_mode dio 0x00000 C:\Temp\firmware.bin 0x100000 C:\Temp\littlefs.bin

But this time I had this error:
esptool write_flash: error: argument <address> <filename>: Detected overlap at address: 0x100000 for file: C:\Temp\littlefs.bin

The above was my mistake I inversed the names of the files after download. Once they were correctly renamed it worked!

So it looks like there is something wrong with the name of the littlefs.bin file when using Brewflasher?

I will try the above steps also with the other 2 iSpindHubs later.

Last edited:
OK the reason why I renamed the files wrong is because they are also inversed on the github site!
I noticed this on the filesize. The firmware files is normally the smallest.

Maybe this is the reason why it does not work with Brewflasher?

1642693595714.png

Yes I just saw that the files were renamed and tried it again with the web version of Brewflasher and now it worked:

1642705440022.png

I Will test it later to see if the new functions are working.
Thanks.

OK the change of the SSID works after a reboot of the devices and the TimeZone seems to works also. 👍

Maybe something to add to the ToDo list: Add the version number in the About page so that we can see if the update was completed.

@ZeSlammy sorry but there still seems to be a problem with the 1,4" Direct plug version.
I can not install this version with Brewflasher (standalone nor webversion).
I think they can not download the firmware.bin or littlesf.bin file?

1642773848338.png

When I use the files from github to install them manually it works.

Now I can connect my 4 ispindel to each iSpinHub for calibration this weekend 👍

SmartSelect_20220121-155529_Settings.jpg

4ispinHubs.jpg

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Is anyone else experiencing this with the latest direct version binary ...
After flashing with brewflasher or esptool,the captive portal comes up and can connect to my wifi network.
I can ping its IP address,web page fails to open.
LCD hangs showing Ispindhub by slammy and connected on the line below.
The previous direct binary worked perfectly on this hardware. Red tab 1.4" LCD

Hi @ZeSlammy I did not think of looking at the serial.
After looking at log output I noticed my firewall was blocking internet access to that device.
When allowed to access internet it works fine.
Thanks for reply !

Ispindhub LCD & web interface looking good now,thanks for all your effort.

Last edited:
Ok does this means that the iSpindhub will not work if there is no internet?
My idea was to use the iSpindHub simply as a monitor on top of the fridge so I can follow the fermenting process within the same room without a PC nor mobile device. 🤔

Last edited:
Hi everyone i am very interested in this project but have no knowledge of coding but i am quite handy at building things, i use an ispindle along with brew father in my brews and would very much like to build a repeater like this so that as i walk past my fermenting fridge i could see how my brew was progressing without have to load brew father either on my phone or iPad. Would some one be able to supply me with a list required to build one of these and where the software is locate and if possible some idea of what housing would be required failing that i suppose i could try and design one in fusion360. `Hope you don't think this is tooo forward of me thanks

https://github.com/ZeSlammy/iSpindHub
You need:
(1) soldering iron and know how to solder

STOP here if you can not solder.

(1) ESP8266 based board, like the D1-Mini [it is a small "computer"] and I prefer the original maker Lonin... but there are MANY knockoffs that will probably work
(1) screen - see the github link above
(8) wires- 20 or 22 AWG - length TBD
(1) FREE programmer - BrewFlasher
(1) good quality MICRO USB cable - most cheap ones do not work to program
(1) MICRO USB power source

step 1 - get all the items above
step 2 - program the board with the USB cable and BREWFLASHER
step 3 - wire the screen to the board (soldering is required)
step 4 - power up the board
step 5 - join the new temp wifi access point with a phone or tablet see THIS POST
step 6 - goto 192.168.1.109 and configure the iSindleHub
step 7 - reconfigure the Ispindel to talk to the iSindleHub see THIS POST

I do not use Brewfather (BF), so I am no help there.

Also note the 1.4" screen with the built in plug does NOT seem to work correctly.

I did make a holder for the 2" screen:
IMG-0298.jpg IMG-0299.jpg

Last edited:
@JSB241 Just compsing a similar reply after getting home from work, you beat me to it! A very good summary!

I also don't use BrewFather, I use Fermentrack, so I can't help with that either.

" So no soldering is required with this version. "

except you have to solder the two headers onto the board!

No soldering required if you use lolin esp8266 and the female to male plug on things. I've used female to male block attached and then bent so the unit " less thick "

Pictures not in the casing.
IMG_20220206_105121.jpgIMG_20220206_105128.jpgIMG_20220206_105135.jpg

Is there a way yet to use more of the display for the bigger screens yet?
ie bigger font and lose the separation lines they don't seem that necessary if everything is a different colour.

https://github.com/ZeSlammy/iSpindHub
You need:
(1) soldering iron and know how to solder

STOP here if you can not solder.

(1) ESP8266 based board, like the D1-Mini [it is a small "computer"] and I prefer the original maker Lonin... but there are MANY knockoffs that will probably work
(1) screen - see the github link above
(8) wires- 20 or 22 AWG - length TBD
(1) FREE programmer - BrewFlasher
(1) good quality MICRO USB cable - most cheap ones do not work to program
(1) MICRO USB power source

step 1 - get all the items above
step 2 - program the board with the USB cable and BREWFLASHER
step 3 - wire the screen to the board (soldering is required)
step 4 - power up the board
step 5 - join the new temp wifi access point with a phone or tablet see THIS POST
step 6 - goto 192.168.1.109 and configure the iSindleHub
step 7 - reconfigure the Ispindel to talk to the iSindleHub see THIS POST

I do not use Brewfather (BF), so I am no help there.

Also note the 1.4" screen with the built in plug does NOT seem to work correctly.

I did make a holder for the 2" screen:
View attachment 758341 View attachment 758342
Hi JSB241 and many thanks for your write up, i couldn't be cheeky could i and ask if you have the stl file for your stand.

Here you go:
https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/130336-ispindlehub-2-screen-stand/files
Not the best ... but I created it in 178 lines of 'code' using OpenScad
It is designed to have the wiring on the board look like this:
IMG-0295.jpg

The backs just friction fit into place.... superglue them if you want to.

Jeff

PS... the opening for the screen board is oversized... I used a small quick clamp and some "Liquid Tape" to mount the screen board.

Last edited:
Ok I am about to commit and attempt to build this ispindlehub using a 2" screen and a D1 mini, my question is instead of using wires could i used dupon connectors and just plug them together?

Ok I am about to commit and attempt to build this ispindlehub using a 2" screen and a D1 mini, my question is instead of using wires could i used dupon connectors and just plug them together?
Yeah that works but it's not "durable"

Happy to see people use it :)

Not sure how I'm going to "package" my iSpindHub but for testing it's all hooked up with Dupont connectors. My fermentrack installation is all with Dupont connectors, but that rarely moves. I'd say if you're going to be moving your iSpindHub around a lot then solder the wires.

Not sure how I'm going to "package" my iSpindHub but for testing it's all hooked up with Dupont connectors. My fermentrack installation is all with Dupont connectors, but that rarely moves. I'd say if you're going to be moving your iSpindHub around a lot then solder the wires.

I have made a modified 128 * 128 screen layout using at the top the Orbitron font. I wanted to get, what I consider to be, the key information as large as possible on the small screen.

I changed the Voltage to a V that changes colour to show the status -similar to the signal strength indication. I would be interested in what others think that the trigger setting value should be, I have gone with 3.8V based on experience with my Panasonic batteries.

if(voltage > 3.8) {tft.setTextColor(TFT_GREEN,TFT_BLACK);}
if(voltage < 3.8) {tft.setTextColor(TFT_ORANGE,TFT_BLACK);}

Huge thanks to @ZeSlammy for making all of this possible.
Cheers
Hi Korev could i ask you what you had to do to get this amazing project to access the data to brewfather

Here is a photo of my stand with the backs off:

IMG-0302-resize.jpg
without the back you certainly have room to use dupont connectors.

Back