iSpindle Concentrators, Repeaters, Bridges, Hubs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My iSpindel config is
set ssid for ispindhub
no password - leave blank
HTTP
Token - leave blank
Server address 192.168.4.1
Port 80
path /ispindel

Thanks @korev

Tried that as well. No luck.

When I look at the ispindhub access point as a wifi choice on phone or computer it says no internet access.
When I access the 192.168.4.1 via the ispindhub wifi it says not connected to my home SSID.

It should still work on the ispindhub local network.\

@DuncB Yes it should.
For the time being the fact that it has no internet access is not an issue as cron jobs are not set up (yet).
But if it sets up a local ispindhub network, then your iSpindel should send its info to it..
Can you take logs ?

Okay I've got some form of result now.
Using Brewflasher installed to Nodemcu 8266 with 2.0 spi red tft lcd board. Powered 1.0 amp 5v supply via usb.

I'm now getting the connected coming up in green and then for 15 seconds approx every minute the nice display below.

This isn't the reading from the ispindel though although the ip is the one i've set.
Nice layout though.
When the screen blanks I just have ispind hub 1.0.0
Slammy underneath
THen a couple of seconds later connected appears.

Then up pops the generic spindel info.
I've set the ispindel to 950 seconds.
IMG_20211008_193618.jpgIMG_20211008_193524.jpg

Every minute you come back to the "IspindHub / Connected" screen ?
That's really weird ...
That being said, you have an IP adress so you are connected to your network ?

@ZeSlammy
Okay realised that as I had set the Slammy up to be on my internal network and it had the fixed IP that we see, then the ispindel actually needed to point to the internal network and not the Slammy. ie the slammy was a device on my network rather than an access point.
Once the ispindel was transmitting to the internal network and directing to the slammy IP it then did start sending it's info to the slammy and I can see the info.
It is still alternating with your generic info as in my previous picture.
I've watched the device and the blue light is on all the time on the esp8266 node mcu but briefly flickers off then back on again. At this stage the whole display blanks and then Ispind hub 1.0.0 with slammy comes up underneath. A few seconds later connected appears and then one or other of the spindel info comes up.

How can I send you a log if this would help?

@ZeSlammy
I checked on my router on my network and found out that it hadn't issued a fixed ip, set the fixed ip to the mac address of the slammy and now your generic ispindel data is cycling with my ispindel data. No drop of connection. Progress.

All seems to be behaving itself now.
I was wondering if instead of sending data from spindel to slammy and then onto other programs such as brewpiless ( a work in progress ) as I can connect my ispindel to brewpiless and then forward to remote logs / apps such as brewspy whether I could do that to the slammy instead?
brewpiless repeater log info.JPG

I've not been able to find out what type of data type and format the ispindel " transmits "

@ZeSlammy I hope all is well. I was wondering when we might expect the next update that hopefully allows files to be deleted and the ability to configure to pass data to Brewfather?

@ZeSlammy I hope all is well. I was wondering when we might expect the next update that hopefully allows files to be deleted and the ability to configure to pass data to Brewfather?
Hello
The version allowing the deletion is on the GitHub and I think on BrewFlasher as well (when you log onto the iSpindHub, you'll see a trash can icon next to the name of the file).
1635674771907.png

It's not fully finished (no error handling) but it does the job.

BrewFather data push should be done by Tuesday. Sorry for the delay.

Thank you ZeSlammy!
I stumbled onto your GitHub page and set out to build the 1.4" version... no luck. I did ended up getting a 2" version working great, once I found this thread. Please update your GitHub instructions!

I have (3) Ispindels working in rotation! CV files are still an issue.

Yes it is.
Still trying to figure out how to display the "°" symbole
That's great, do I just reinstall via brewflasher and the most upto date version is selected by brewflasher? I couldn't see a specific 2 inch display update on github.
That could easily be due to my lack of knowledge about navigating github.

Great work keep it up.

Hello
The version allowing the deletion is on the GitHub and I think on BrewFlasher as well (when you log onto the iSpindHub, you'll see a trash can icon next to the name of the file).
View attachment 747454
It's not fully finished (no error handling) but it does the job.

BrewFather data push should be done by Tuesday. Sorry for the delay.
No worries. Thanks for all your good work.

Cheers

That's great, do I just reinstall via brewflasher and the most upto date version is selected by brewflasher? I couldn't see a specific 2 inch display update on github.
As soon as I have a working version, I push it to BrewFlasher.
Got the ° working. Pushing to web services on the way.

As soon as I have a working version, I push it to BrewFlasher.
Got the ° working. Pushing to web services on the way.
Feedback
This photo shows the Brewflasher 1.4 Green tab rev 0-3 alpha version, the 1.4 Red tab is the same
Perhaps the new font may have caused screen formatting problems for the 1.4 version?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0757.JPG
    IMG_0757.JPG
    609.6 KB · Views: 22
@ChrisThomas

Seems very variable the post, some stuff less than 2 weeks but I anticipate everything 28 days plus so my hopes don't get too high.

My screen took from 10th sept to 6th oct from these people to NZ, it's working well.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1199788?spm=a2g0s.9042647.0.0.631f4c4dXVBkGQ
Some brew stuff has taken 60 days though and the D1 minis and gyros from

Super seller For Arduino&3D - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress

I'm still waiting for after 6 weeks.

How is Brissle these days, traffic worse?

My 2" display is an OPEN-SMART... works great.. I now only buy D1 Minis straight from the Lolin store on Aliexpress .... some random weird issues with the knock offs.

@ChrisThomas

Seems very variable the post, some stuff less than 2 weeks but I anticipate everything 28 days plus so my hopes don't get too high.

My screen took from 10th sept to 6th oct from these people to NZ, it's working well.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1199788?spm=a2g0s.9042647.0.0.631f4c4dXVBkGQ
Some brew stuff has taken 60 days though and the D1 minis and gyros from

Super seller For Arduino&3D - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress

I'm still waiting for after 6 weeks.

How is Brissle these days, traffic worse?

Some stuff I ordered later arrived weeks ago, still electronics but different supplier, never used this supplier before. Ditto with D1 mini's, I always buy from Lolin on Aliexpress but I also use a eBay supplier sometimes which has proven to use quality stuff, and delivers faster.

Brissle traffic, if you can believe it is much worse, public transport is getting more expensive and less "useful". Where we are, they've just build a "Thoughabout" to replace a busy roundabout at the cost of £2.8million. So this works much like a motorway, filter left to turn right, downside is that there's almost no sliproad for the traffic to wait on to turn right. Been in place 3 days, some chaos, can't wait for traffic to return to normal after the holidays and wait for the first person to try and turn right in the right hand lane. Our traffic planners have always been different! One of the best parts of this though is the signage, almost all of it is on the road, so when it's busy you've got no idea of what lane to use to go where, also the junction has 26 sets of traffic lights! The best part though is that one of the local area names they've used nobody knows where it is, but then they probably didn't want to abbreviate "Cock Road", they've replaced it with Mount instead...

Last edited:
Feedback
This photo shows the Brewflasher 1.4 Green tab rev 0-3 alpha version, the 1.4 Red tab is the same
Perhaps the new font may have caused screen formatting problems for the 1.4 version?

Cheers

Hey there.
Corrected.On Github and through BrewFlasher.

BrewFather later today.

I've installed the latest version for the 1.7" and I came up with some issues that you probably already know:
1. When I delete the default file ispindel032.csv I'm redirected to a page 'File Not Found.' but when I come back to the iSpindHub de file is deleted.
2. I'm missing the angle information on the website:
1636119021261.png

It would be nice to see the Angle information also.

3. Downloading the log files does not work, when I check the download process I see this:

1636118990152.png

Yeah I'm aware of those issues.
- Angle on the Web : Will add
- No error after deletion : will try and do
- Downloading : this one seems tricky ..

Angle on the Web : Done
1636126628559.png

Deletion brings you back to the home page.

I won't tackle download, I'd rather finish the BrewFather stuff :)

Not commited to BrewFlasher yet. On GitHub though

Thanks to ZeSlammy and using the version on GitHub, 6 Nov. I have had a play in the screen.cpp file and reformatted the screen display to suit my 1.44" TFT using the Sangras fonts and removing the lines, which to me, at least, seemed to add clutter.
Noting In Screen.h line 11 0xF81F // magenta 0xF81F was 0xF8FF resolved a compilation error
I used my old iSpindel which, I think has the equation configured to report in Plato. Please ignore the WHITE_[SG} label which looks wrong.

Perhaps another item for the ToDo list is to select between SG and Plato?

Cheers

Attachments

• revised screen IMG_7420.JPG
    revised screen IMG_7420.JPG
    774.6 KB · Views: 7
Thanks to ZeSlammy and using the version on GitHub, 6 Nov. I have had a play in the screen.cpp file and reformatted the screen display to suit my 1.44" TFT using the Sangras fonts and removing the lines, which to me, at least, seemed to add clutter.
Noting In Screen.h line 11 0xF81F // magenta 0xF81F was 0xF8FF resolved a compilation error
I used my old iSpindel which, I think has the equation configured to report in Plato. Please ignore the WHITE_[SG} label which looks wrong.

Cheers
That looks nicely formatted, I have a spare bit of screen real estate on the 2 inch display with the latest update. The different colours seem to be a good enough distinguisher between the data rather than needing the added lines. Hoping that font change and rearrangement will cross to the 2 inch display.
My spindel is just a test one so the gravity is all off as well.
IMG_20211107_103857.jpg

Can you send me your .cpp file ?

I don't have it in screen.h (Magenta I mean). It's coming from the main TFT_eSPI.h file

It displays whatever the iSpindel is sending back. But yes, I can check the value and display SG or °P or propose an option to chose what to display.

Regarding the whole display rearrangement, I will change my approach.
And optimize for each size instead of trying and have a "generic" file.
Got a 4 days week end ahead, should be able to get some work done.

Can you send me your .cpp file ?

I don't have it in screen.h (Magenta I mean). It's coming from the main TFT_eSPI.h file

It displays whatever the iSpindel is sending back. But yes, I can check the value and display SG or °P or propose an option to chose what to display.

Regarding the whole display rearrangement, I will change my approach.
And optimize for each size instead of trying and have a "generic" file.
Got a 4 days week end ahead, should be able to get some work done.

Yes, have sent screen files
I think that an option to select display in P or SG would be useful.

Cheers

My camel from China has finally arrived! 1.77" display, connected to D1mini, connected to WiFi, changed configuration on spare iSpindel and all working! First time!

My task this afternoon is to configure iSpinHub to forward to Fermentrack. After watching an exciting weekend of International Rugby, this is a good weekend!

Chris

My task this afternoon is to configure iSpinHub to forward to Fermentrack. After watching an exciting weekend of International Rugby, this is a good weekend!
I can confirm it was an awesome Rugby weekend.
As far as forwarding, it's not done yet, hit a snafu with the periodic jobs. I'm on it though :(

A good rugby weekend or all 6 Nations, I don't think that's ever happened before!

I thought I'd configured everything, but didn't seem to work! Celebrate the win before getting back to this! Sorry @DuncB :(

Last edited:
Only comments I can make so far is that I think I'd prefer the iSpindel ID on the top line and a posssible change in font to a less bold appearance. Seems to do what it says on the tin otherwise.

Fantastic can't wait.
Just fitted my smartpid to the Guten so some more configuring on that side to do. I'll have to learn brewfather as it can integrate with that. More challenges ahead.

Back