• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale Ispindel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine the other day and its sending data fine. Tried ubidots, but for free version it isn't easy to get good graph for more than 2 different data.
Cayde, you did leave in Plato and degrees C correct?
Wanted to use grainfather as software for this, as I've been brewing with it for a while, but it appears their server isn't working. I've got it working on brewspy, but their temp is in F and no conversion inside their software. Oh well.

Got mine the other day and its sending data fine. Tried ubidots, but for free version it isn't easy to get good graph for more than 2 different data.
Cayde, you did leave in Plato and degrees C correct?
Wanted to use grainfather as software for this, as I've been brewing with it for a while, but it appears their server isn't working. I've got it working on brewspy, but their temp is in F and no conversion inside their software. Oh well.
When I test them I configure in SG, which is the default and update the temp setting to F. I know a few people who have purchased from me use grainfather app. If you are getting 1.004 readings you will need to update the ispindel name and append _[SG] to the end of the name.

No 1.004 readings, looks good, but temps have all read in C, (23.4 degrees for instance) and gravity is moving about fine, so the unit is working fine
It is possible that I missed updating the temp from C to F. The setting is in the same configuration page as setting up the wifi connection. Once fermentation is complete you should be able to correct it.

Ok, For anyone else trying grainfather, the instructions inside the app are wrong, the iota address is dead. Just found what appears to be correct inside instructions on main browser page.

Anyone having difficulty connecting these to WIFI or Brewfather? Tried 900s, tried 1800s. I can get maybe one data point when I go through the setup, but that's it.

Finally got all the components and have the next batch just about ready. Will be shipping this coming week if anyone is interested.

Price is $50 (includes US shipping). The ispindels were built using The Jeffrey PCB v2.69 by OpenSourceDistilling and have the 7.1.4 firmware installed. Units include a brand new battery and have been calibrated using the sugar water method. I have verified that they are all connecting and reporting gravity and temperature correctly. PM me if you are interested.

Forgot the pic.

20220305_191911.jpg

I put mine in water and everything was going fine and looks like it's leaking water inside the ispindel nothing catastrophic. I'm going to look and see about getting a gasket to fit up inside the lid. Otherwise I got it connected to brew-spy on my phone and it looks like it should be a great tool. Thanks!

Last edited:
I put mine in water and everything was going fine and looks like it's leaking water inside the ispindel nothing catastrophic. I'm going to look and see about getting a gasket to fit up inside the lid. Otherwise I got it connected to brew-spy on my phone and it looks like it should be a great tool. Thanks!
Was it under pressure or just sitting in the water? I have had one leak while under 12psi pressure but not while just sitting in a batch normally. Usually just a firm hand tightening works for me. I believe that some users have found a gasket that fits, not sure about the exact size. I think there were some discussion on this topic in the main ispindel thread a while back as well.

Was it under pressure or just sitting in the water? I have had one leak while under 12psi pressure but not while just sitting in a batch normally. Usually just a firm hand tightening works for me. I believe that some users have found a gasket that fits, not sure about the exact size. I think there were some discussion on this topic in the main ispindel thread a while back as well.

It was a firm hand tightening and just in some water no pressure. I'll put it on tighter and try again first which shouldn't be a problem since I'm 6'4" 270ish.

Anybody out there have a source for the gasket outside diameter looks to be 1.5".

I have one "weep" a little bit. Both "normal" and under pressure (~10PSI)
I haven't tried an o-ring but I believe this is the post that was referred to.
iSpindle Concentrators, Repeaters, Bridges, Hubs

Mine still has the "locking" ring below the cap on. I know it can be removed but how much (if any) will that effect calibration?

It was a firm hand tightening and just in some water no pressure. I'll put it on tighter and try again first which shouldn't be a problem since I'm 6'4" 270ish.

Anybody out there have a source for the gasket outside diameter looks to be 1.5".

So I really cranked on it then threw it in the water for about 10 minutes and no leaks. Looks like I'll just have to put the fear of God in to it before putting it in liquid.

Thanks

So I really cranked on it then threw it in the water for about 10 minutes and no leaks. Looks like I'll just have to put the fear of God in to it before putting it in liquid.

Thanks
Not sure why some seem to take a little more umph than others. Glad that you got it to work. So a while back I did have one of mine where the inner Iip inside the lid had gotten bent. After straightening it out it seemed to seal better.

Finally got all the components and have the next batch just about ready. Will be shipping this coming week if anyone is interested.

Price is $50 (includes US shipping). The ispindels were built using The Jeffrey PCB v2.69 by OpenSourceDistilling and have the 7.1.4 firmware installed. Units include a brand new battery and have been calibrated using the sugar water method. I have verified that they are all connecting and reporting gravity and temperature correctly. PM me if you are interested.

I still have some ispindels available and ready to ship for anyone interested.

I have some ispindels available and ready to ship for anyone interested.

When I test them I configure in SG, which is the default and update the temp setting to F. I know a few people who have purchased from me use grainfather app. If you are getting 1.004 readings you will need to update the ispindel name and append _[SG] to the end of the name.
I'm using BrewFather and am getting 1.004 SG readings. Ispindel name SgispindelBlue. Do I need to change the name to ispindelBlueSG

Tom

@cayde1001 quick question, If i Update the firmware will i need to reload the calibartion data?
It will depend on the previous and new version. I know updating form anything pre v7 to v7.1.4 will wipe the configuration. You will need to calibrate on flat surface and then input all the configuration options including the polynomial.

I might be interested, but I am super stupid with computer stuff. I have a Galaxy smart phone, can I hook up an app to that and get data during fermentation? All this calibration talk, I don't quite understand it all. Is there a place I can read up on this and try and somewhat educate myself? Thanks.

I might be interested, but I am super stupid with computer stuff. I have a Galaxy smart phone, can I hook up an app to that and get data during fermentation? All this calibration talk, I don't quite understand it all. Is there a place I can read up on this and try and somewhat educate myself? Thanks.
Calibration and everything has already been done by me. All you need is an app to log the readings to. Brewfather, Brewspy, and brewers friend all work with any android phone.

Very interested in one of these - sending a PM!!

Edit: cayde1001 - would you be able to PM me? I am new to the forums and it seems like I don't have PM permission yet.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Just an update on my situation. I hooked mine up to my home wifi. I am pretty computer stupid but I got it to work with a few PMs to the seller, who by the way was super helpful. I am currently using it in the ferm bucket and it seems to be working awesome!!!!! While it is a good thing to be able to tell what is going on and not have to pull samples for gravity, it is a bad thing too. I am so AR that I check it constantly and get freaked out when nothing happens. LOL. I will also say that I took an OG sample using my hydrometer and when I put the unit in the ferm bucket it read exactly the OG my hydrometer had, so I am pretty confident the setup was good. Anyway, I am not computer savvy in anyway, and with a little help from the seller I was able to get it to work. I am super happy with it and would recommend it to anyone who likes to see what is going on at any given time.

Rock On!!!!!
RR

Back