• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale Ispindel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, this looks awesome. One question, if I plan to connect via wifi, is there any issues with connectivity once located inside a fermentation fridge?

Wow, this looks awesome. One question, if I plan to connect via wifi, is there any issues with connectivity once located inside a fermentation fridge?
Most likely you should have no issues, it will just depend on how good the wifi signal is. I use a stainless fermenter and have a mesh router in the garage next to my fermenter and it works great. I have had one customer who used a stainless fermenter inside a fermentation fridge and they did have issue just because between the two it degraded the singnal so much. If you are using a plastic or glass fermenter I would think you should be ok.

Most likely you should have no issues, it will just depend on how good the wifi signal is. I use a stainless fermenter and have a mesh router in the garage next to my fermenter and it works great. I have had one customer who used a stainless fermenter inside a fermentation fridge and they did have issue just because between the two it degraded the singnal so much. If you are using a plastic or glass fermenter I would think you should be ok.
sounds great!!

Finally got all the components and have the next batch just about ready. Will be shipping this coming week if anyone is interested.

Price is $50 (includes US shipping). The ispindels were built using The Jeffrey PCB v2.69 by OpenSourceDistilling and have the 7.1.4 firmware installed. Units include a brand new battery and have been calibrated using the sugar water method. I have verified that they are all connecting and reporting gravity and temperature correctly. PM me if y
I have some ispindels available and ready to ship for anyone interested.

Price is $50 (includes US shipping). The ispindels were built using The Jeffrey PCB v2.69 by OpenSourceDistilling and have the 7.1.4 firmware installed. Units include a brand new battery and have been calibrated using the sugar water method. I have verified that they are all connecting and reporting gravity and temperature correctly. PM me if you are interested.
I have some ispindels available and ready to ship for anyone interested

Maybe a stupid question but, how do you recharge the battery? Is charging as simple as plugging in a usb c cable into the port that is facing you when you unscrew the cap? Does the unit need to be on or off to charge?

Maybe a stupid question but, how do you recharge the battery? Is charging as simple as plugging in a usb c cable into the port that is facing you when you unscrew the cap? Does the unit need to be on or off to charge?
In theory, yes, but both my USB-C units stopped recharging after one or two uses. Really annoying because my older micro usb models still work fine.

Luckily I have a battery charger that fits the cells in the units and they aren’t soldered in so I have to remove them each time.

I put reference marks so I can basically realign everything “close enough” to not mess up the calibration too bad.

In theory, yes, but both my USB-C units stopped recharging after one or two uses. Really annoying because my older micro usb models still work fine.

Luckily I have a battery charger that fits the cells in the units and they aren’t soldered in so I have to remove them each time.

I put reference marks so I can basically realign everything “close enough” to not mess up the calibration too bad.
Well that is disappointing to hear. I left the unit plugged in overnight (last night) and the battery is only reporting 3.2 volts today. I guess I'll try leaving the unit plugged in but in the on position tonight and hope for the best tomorrow.

Any troubleshooting suggestions? I have not even been able to use the unit for an actual brew yet.

Well that is disappointing to hear. I left the unit plugged in overnight (last night) and the battery is only reporting 3.2 volts today. I guess I'll try leaving the unit plugged in but in the on position tonight and hope for the best tomorrow.

Any troubleshooting suggestions? I have not even been able to use the unit for an actual brew yet.
Very strange. If you have issues with charging you may have to send it to me to fix. Do you remember when you bought the ispindel? I am not finding the PM from you.

Does this report to an app or do I need some other apparatus to make use of it?
There are some apps and websites that you can use for logging. The ones I have tried so far are Brewfather, brewers friend, and brewspy. If you have a home media server or raspberry pi you can also look into fermentrack for logging locally.

Sorry to hear that your two newer ones are having issues with the charger. If you are willing to ship them to me I can swap the charger pcb out with a new one.

I have completed a batch of ispindel's and have some extra if anyone is interested. Price is $50 (with US shipping included). The ispindels were built using the Cherry Phillip v4.0 PCB and have the 6.3.1 firmware installed. They will include a brand new battery and have already been calibrated using multiple measurements in sugar water. I have verified that they are all connecting to my instance of ferementrack and are reporting gravity and temperature correctly. Send me a PM if you are interested.
Interested in getting a couple of these if you still have them available.

Back