iSpindel help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkhanso

Reaction score
Plymouth, MN - terrible tap water for brewing
I'm not sure whether to post this help request in the big ispindel thread, but think it may be better to separate them for future people who need help. That big thread is hard to search.

I bought my iSpindel - didn't make it. I'm a novice with the iSpindel. Trying to follow the directions at the iSpindel website.

I use CraftbeerPi and want to set up the iSpindel to work with it, but had trouble getting that working, so I thought I'd back up and see if I can get it to work with Ubidots.

With Ubidots, I can get one initial update on the Ubidots webpage, but then no updates after that. I've waited 30+ minutes and only see the initial update.

Annotation 2019-10-07 233529.png

I'm not sure if the issue of no additional updates is a problem here, but I suspect it is. Though not the same problem why I can't get it to work with CraftbeerPi.

Now, I understand there's a glitch in the iSpindel setup when using CraftbeerPi, since CraftbeerPi uses port 5000. So, during the config of the iSpindel, set the type to http, the IP address to my CraftbeerPi server, the port to 5000. Then I change the type to CraftbeerPi and then save it. I reboot my CraftbeerPi server and still never get any data other than zeroes to show up in the CraftbeerPi fermenter display.

What is the best way to troubleshoot this? Should I get the updates to happen with Ubidots first? Or just jump to try to get it working with CraftbeerPi?

Can anyone offer direction? I'm not sure what to do.

WiFi Information
Configured to connect to access point MakCommHome and currently connected on IP 192.168.2.7
Device Data
Name Value
Chip ID 7812967
Flash Chip ID 1454108
SDK Version 2.2.1(cfd48f3)
Free HEAP 31304
IDE Flash Size 1048576 bytes
Real Flash Size 4194304 bytes
Access Point IP 192.168.4.1
Access Point MAC 2E:F4:32:77:37:67
SSID MakCommHome
Station IP 192.168.2.7
Station MAC 2C:F4:32:77:37:67

I just noticed something odd - at least I think it's odd.

I'm trying out brew-spy on my Android. The iSpindel connected a few times for updates on that (I set the interval to 20 seconds). I exited the web interface configuration mode and could no longer log into it. This is normal, from what I understand. This is how the ispindel goes into sleep mode and wakes up every x minutes to update, right?
But after 15 minutes time, the blue light on the iSpindel started flashing every second. I could then get back into the web interface for it. Is there something wrong with it? Am I doing something wrong?

I also noticed that I stopped getting updates in Brew-Spy...even before the 15 minutes were up and the blue LED started flashing every second.

Last edited:
It's really acting funny - different each time I check.
I removed the iSPindel from brew-Spy and added it back in.
It only updated the first time, and now - 39 minutes later, the blue LED started flashing ever second again.

OK - I just did a factory reset in the ispindel web GUI.

Then went back and set it up for brew-spy (updates at 300 seconds). Saved it. The blue LED kept flashing every second. The Brew-Spy app on my phone was updated immediately with the data from the iSpindel.

I then went to the new iSpindel IP address on my home wifi to get back into the web interafce and "disconnected configuration" or whatever it said (the bottom button). The blue LED then stopped flashing.

Waited 16 minutes and get the same results. No more updates in Brew-Spy app after the first initial update. The blue LED starts flashing every second again. The iSpindel web gui was available on my home WiFi network, not the iSpindel default AP. The web GUI stays available on the home LAN now for many minutes, not going to sleep.

I'm pulling out what little hair I have left.

Last edited:
I then went to the new iSpindel IP address on my home wifi to get back into the web interafce and "disconnected configuration" or whatever it said (the bottom button). The blue LED then stopped flashing.

Just to note that going to the spindel address after setup (the one the home network assigned) will not get you back into the setup page.

After you hit the save button the ispindel should take about 5 to 10 sec to save the settings and restart. Once it restarts the blue light will blink a couple of times and turn off (this is the device sending the data). This will occur every x min depending on the interval that was set in the setup page.

The light should never go back to blinking unless the settings were erased. Not to sure why its going back to the setup.

Odd - I noticed after a period of time now, that when the GUI suddenly started working for the iSpindel on my home network, it also works as the default iSpindel AP on 192.168.4.1 at the same time. Then wait a while, and neither one are online again.

Wait a while, and it repeats. With no data ever updating the Brew-Spy app.

It sure doesn't appear to be operating correctly.

Can this be fixed by messing with the firmware or something? Reflash it?

Last edited:
I made 5 diy ispindels with components from same suppliers. I had to solder one or three again with some new components because they didn't work right first time (maybe my own fault, but I have soldered many circuit boards before) After that they worked but I noticed difference in connection intervals. Some had better response time. Also distance from router affects. Connection straight from network ip address worked instantly, but from ubidots there is small or huge lag sometimes. I have used one of the better ones in few batches. Sometimes there is long timeout after next update. And if you bring router closer to fermenter it wakes up better. I think there is many variables in performance from my experience.

I downgraded the firmware from 6.1.1. to 6.0.6 and it's working normally now. Or seems to be anyway.
It was an immediate difference. The configs are remembered when they weren't before. The LED stops blinking on its own after a config change when it didn't before.
Must be a bug in the newest firmware.

It works with Brew-Spy. I'm still trying to get it to work with CraftbeerPi.

Still not working with the CraftbeerPi iSpindel plugin.
I've rebooted the CraftbeerPi after installing, and a couple times after configuring the Spindel to work with CraftbeerPi. Still no data showing up in CraftbeerPi.

I works with Brew-Spy
I'd like to get it working with CraftbeerPi so I have all the info right there on one interface.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-8_16-1-20.png
    upload_2019-10-8_16-1-20.png
    33 KB · Views: 101
When you click on save on your ispindel setup,can you copy and paste the address it sends you to.

I'm not sure what you mean by "copy and paste the address it sends you to" -- I don't see it sending me to any address. It just shows me that it's saved the config and to wait about 10 seconds. There's a link there, but I think it just will take me back to the IP address of it on my home WiFi network, which I know is 192.168.2.7. But since it goes into the normal operation mode, the web page is no longer accessible.

It looks like in the link you pasted above, the iSpindel is telling you how you configured it. But not necessarily an IP address, right?

I'm not following.

I can get it to report data regularly using Brew-Spy, but not put any data into CraftbeerPi. I'm guessing since it works in Brew-Spy, it's my CraftbeerPi setup then, right?

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant to copy and paste the url of that page in this thread. Here is a pic of what I mean.
Screenshot_20191009-051525_Chrome.jpg

I don't see the same thing you do. It doesn't show me a URL - since my phone is not letting me use a browser to connect to the iSpindel during config of it. It's having me "sign in" to the WiFi instead, not in a browser....
Here are the screenshots in order:

1. trying with a browser - before "connecting" (configuring) to the iSpindel WiFi AP
Screenshot_20191009-070423.png

And then using the "connect to WiFi" of the iSpindel on my phone:
Screenshot_20191009-070359.png

InkedScreenshot_20191009-070405_LI.jpg

Screenshot_20191009-070618.png

I see. With my phone, with the spindel in AP mode and light blinking, I go to the WIFI settings and connect to the ispindel network. I then open a browser and go to 192.168.4.1.

I suspect that either the CBPI IP or port is not correctly being saved in the ispindel. I had this issue with the port setting with my installation and at times had to manually add the port to the url and resave it.

I see. With my phone, with the spindel in AP mode and light blinking, I go to the WIFI settings and connect to the ispindel network. I then open a browser and go to 192.168.4.1.

I suspect that either the CBPI IP or port is not correctly being saved in the ispindel. I had this issue with the port setting with my installation and at times had to manually add the port to the url and resave it.
Doing it the way you describe doesn't work on my phone. When I select iSpindel WiFi network to connect to, my phone brings up the iSpindel web interface immediately. If I ignore that and go to Chrome and try to connect to 192.168.4.1, it just times out. My phone doesn't seem to know how to connect to the iSpindel if I don't go through that initial setup of the iSpindel first.

So, since right after I connect to the iSpindel AP in my phone's WiFi setup, the iSpindel immediately goes into "normal" mode and there's no GUI/Interface running for me to connect to. Bringing up a browser on my phone and trying to connect to 192.168.4.1 just times out both before and after setting up the iSpindel.

I tried another Factory Reset to see if it behaves differently, but run into the same situation I describe above.

Well, I'm not sure what combination of things tried on my phone, but one time I did get a URL like yours. It has the correct port number, yet still doesn't put data in the CraftbeerPi GUI:

Code:
http://192.168.4.1/wifisave?s=MakCommHome&p=xxxxxx&name=iSpindel1&sleep=300&vfact=191.80&tempscale=0&selAPI=2&token=&server=192.168.2.253&port=5000&url=&db=&username=&password=&job=&instance=&POLYN=

I'm not so sure I'm doing something wrong now. Or that my phone and maybe Android version or settings might be behaving differently.

Last edited:
It maybe a dumb question but according to that URL you are naming your ispindel "iSpindel1". Did you also update CBPI with that name under the ispindel plugin?

I used a laptop to connect to the iSpindel configuration AP today. It didn't give any different results than when using my phone.

The URL shown after saving the config is:
Code:
http://192.168.4.1/wifisave?s=MakCommHome&p=xxxxxxx&name=iSpindel1&sleep=90&vfact=191.80&tempscale=1&selAPI=2&token=&server=192.168.2.253&port=5000&url=&db=&username=&password=&job=&instance=&POLYN=

It's still not updating CraftbeerPi. When doing the server config, I first choose HTTP and set the port to 5000. Then I change to CraftbeerPi and set the IP address to my CraftbeerPi IP. I have matching iSpindel names between the two. FYI - in CraftbeerPi, I don't have anything in the Tuning Polynomial or Gravity units selected because I'm just first trying to get the temp and battery level data working. The iSpindel polynomial box is also blank. I tried a "calibration" but it still didn't populate anything in that field.

Still no data showing up in CraftbeerPi yet. I've also rebooted CraftbeerPi. But data works on Brew-Spy. So, I may just have to use Brew-Spy instead until I can get this figured out.

Well its working with brewspy so we know its sending data from the ispindel. Lets take a look at the CBPI side.
1. When you make a temp sensor in CBPI did it show up in your logs?
2. Have you tried making a gravity sensor in CBPI? If not lets try that and for the poly just put "tilt" without the quotes.
3. Try taking a snippet of the tail end of the app.log in CBPI. There maybe something throwing an error.
4. Which plugin are you using for ispindel? Is it the one that shows up on the addons or a different one from github?

1. When I make a temp or battery sensor in CBPI, using the iSpindel plugin - yes, it does show up on the GUI. But the data is always 0
2. I've not tried a gravity sensor before. So I just added one in the CBPI fermenter now and it did not show up in the GUI/web page. I rebooted CBPI and gravity still does not even show up in the display (but iSpindel temperature does, but no data).
3. The app.log was over 400MB in size. I may have to delete it and start over.
4. I'm using the standard iSpindel plugin available on the addon-page of CBPI by Joe Alloway.
https://github.com/universam1/iSpindel

Attaching the end of the app.log. This log is with the iSpindel running and attempting to communicate with CBPI. I verified the iSpindel name in it's own config and the CBPI match.

Attachments

• app.log.txt
    168.7 KB · Views: 22
If you want you can try using the iSpindel plugin that i am using. i slightly modified the one that you are using to allow an update interval. This allows the updates to happen every x sec and not build a crazy large log file for the sensor. The file lives in the folder "craftbeerpi3/modules/plugins/iSpindel/".

First unzip the attached file to your home folder.
Then make a back up of your file:
Code:
sudo cp craftbeerpi3/modules/plugins/iSpindel/__init__.py craftbeerpi3/modules/plugins/iSpindel/__init__.bkup
Next delete the old file
Code:
sudo rm craftbeerpi3/modules/plugins/iSpindel/__init__.py
Then replace the new modified file (this is assuming you save the file in your home folder):
Code:
sudo cp __init__.py craftbeerpi3/modules/plugins/iSpindel/
Restart CBPI

Attachments

• __init__.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 24
I followed your instructions to the best of my ability. I believe I've done it right.
Still no data showing up in the CBPI GUI. No Gravity display either.

Should I just re-install CraftbeerPi and see if that helps? I'm using 3.0

Annotation 2019-10-14 190850.png

Annotation 2019-10-14 190909.png

Annotation 2019-10-14 190926.png

Annotation 2019-10-14 190947.png

This is the new __init__.py file (I didn't really .zip it. Just remove the .zip from the end of the file name):

Attachments

• __init__.py.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 24
OK i think i recreated your issue on my system. I set up an ispindel with the exact same settings that you have. I got a 0 temp even after the ispindel updated a few times. I then added the word "tilt" (without quotes) to the polynomial and it started working. Give that a shot and see if it works.

I set the refresh value to 5, which I'm hoping is minutes - the same as the iSpindel is set at.
And no - I'm still not getting any data to show up for iSpindel Temp. And the gravity still doesn't show up on the display at all.

Annotation 2019-10-14 201618.png

Yes -- I change it back to CraftbeerPi before saving it. I don't leave it on HTTP.

I'm seeing something new in the app.log.... a PING and a PONG every 25 seconds. I don't think that was there before.

Last edited:
This may be a long shot but when i first set up my CBPI I couldn't connect to the pi from certain devices. Long story short I had the incorrect subnet mask on the pi when I set it up for a static ip. On the pi if you run ifconfig from a terminal it will show you the subnet mask it is set to. It should be 255.255.255.0

I'm a network guy - It's correct.
Just verified also:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ifconfig
lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> mtu 65536
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 scopeid 0x10<host>
loop txqueuelen 1000 (Local Loopback)
RX packets 23 bytes 3860 (3.7 KiB)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 23 bytes 3860 (3.7 KiB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

wlan0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.2.253 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.2.255
inet6 fe80::ba27:ebff:feec:cd9d prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20<link>
ether b8:27:eb:ec:cd:9d txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 15239 bytes 1113072 (1.0 MiB)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 16717 bytes 8337314 (7.9 MiB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

pi@raspberrypi:~ $

Would it be worth it to just re-install CBPI and start over from scratch?

I ran Wireshark using the WiFi interface of my PC. It appears that the CBPI is not responding to ARP requests from the iSpindel. Something must be hosed up with CraftbeerPi. CBPI works fine otherwise though. The iSpindel plugin must not be working correctly...unless there's some odd setting in the Raspberry Pi that I need to change. I can SSH/VNC to the Raspberry Pi OK. The web interface for CBPI works just fine.

The iSpindel is sending out an ARP asking who is 192.168.2.253 (my CBPI), but the CBPI is not responding.

I just thought of something....I use 2 different CBPI devices, one for brewing and one for fermenting. I'll set up an iSpindel sensor on the brewery CBPI and see if it works over there.

Here's the Wireshark output.

Annotation 2019-10-15 080108.png

Well, using the Brewing CBPI controller didn't get any different results. I'm using a Pi Zero W for the fermenter controller, and a Pi B+ for the Brewing controller.
I have Wireshark capture filtered to listen only to traffic with the iSpindel IP in it. I suppose if I change that to the CBPI controller, maybe that will give more helpful info. I'll do that and report back.

Annotation 2019-10-15 082141.png

Back