Isonglass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishermand715

Reaction score
I used Isonglass on my most recent batch and I am amazed at the clearity of the brew. Almost as clear as store-bought.

I am using a kit Amber ale

I've heard of commercial brewers using Isinglass for clarity and was interested in how well a homebrewer could use it. Plus it'll keep those filthy vegans away from my beer. :mug: I'm interested in what the above poster asked as well.

OH almost forgot.

I put it in at the beginning of secondary. Just pour the amount it says and will make your brew 95% clear (not going to be perfectly clear)

I have used Isinglas on some of my wines, but I have some vegetarian friends so no longer use gelatin/isinglas/chitosan or any finings besides whirlfloc in the kettle for beer. Some of my friends expect beer and wine to be vegetarian, so I no longer add any animal products.

Anyway, if it's only 95% clear, you can stick it in the fridge for a week or two and it should then be 100% clear. Not wheat always, as the proteins can cause a haze that isn't fixed by finings or cold, but wheat beers are supposed to be cloudy anyway!

Hey Yoop - if you were going to use finings in the fermenter, do you like gelatin or isinglass better? What are the advantages disadvantages of both? I've used gelatin a lot but have never tried the others.

Hey Yoop - if you were going to use finings in the fermenter, do you like gelatin or isinglass better? What are the advantages disadvantages of both? I've used gelatin a lot but have never tried the others.

I don't know. They work in similar ways. For wine, I tend to use sparkelloid but I haven't had any experience with finings in beer. My beer is clear, I'm happy, and I've never had a need for anything except whirlfloc.

Back