Isolating Lacto strain by killing off sacc with heat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BzurkoBrews

Reaction score
So here's the deal, I have a very powerful strain of lacto I've been using that I cultured up from some Cascade dregs. Now I was thinking of how I can use it in a sour mash fashion with an obscure ending. The only problem is there's Sacc and Brett mixed in with this whole culture I've got. My question is is there a way I can neutralize the yeast in my mix by adding it to say 120f wort? I'd like to get this train of L. Brevis all by itseft to you with. It is so aggressive, alcohol tolerant and has the most amazing aroma. I'd love to see it in a Berliner style beer or a sour mashed all Brett beer. Thanks guys. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I bought a pack of wyeast berlinerweisse that was past the six month mark, and split it into several starters, one of which was apple juice to encourage lacto. Point is, after several feedings over last few months, I think I have a largely lacto culture. It grows quicker than sacch or brett, in right conditions, so will tend to dominate.

Sent from my VM670 using Home Brew mobile app

Do you think a non aerated starter of Apple juice or wort would encourage lacto growth more?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think so. The acidity, lack of hops, and simple sugar should be ideal conditions for lack to grow in. That said, since my wyeast pack was so old I think the sacch numbers were pretty low. With a fresher pack, maybe the sacch numbers would have grown too. There may also be brett in my culture, but that's OK for the beers I've been using it for, and the lacto definitely dominates.

Back