Isolated Yeast (Tree House): How to Identify and Characterize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for Munich - this BYO article (below) has some clues and supports both Munich and also Carafoam as well as a thicker, higher temp mash to land a better mouthfeel.

With Nate’s confirmation in 2017 that Treehouse is blending FV’s it should be sufficient to suspect that both ‘same beer’ and ‘different style’ beer blending are part of their strategy. Different style beer blending to produce the beers in the first place and same beer blending for batch to batch consistency. I could see Eureka being a single FV beer whereas all Julius variants and some other complex brews being multiple FVs (separate) styled batches being blended. And it all makes lots of sense - for increasing isoamyl acetate and other desired characteristics, its easier pitch the right yeast in the right wort and conditions to get the best results and then blend that with another batch containing another yeast also designed to maximize other contributions.

This strategy also makes sense at a large scale when it comes to risk management. Instead of putting all ingredients in one large wort, it is less risk to brew separate styled batches and then blend. If one of the individual batches turns out bad, only a portion needs to be discarded and re-brewed instead if having to drain an entire single batch. Furthermore, once all separate FVs are certified good by themselves to be ready for blending, the brewer is in full control of the final blended product as well.

https://byo.com/article/maximizing-mouthfeel-tips-from-the-pros/

I’ve been thinking about something interesting: the Julius analysis has shown the ABV to be 7.1% despite being listed as 6.8% on the can. Considering what we know about Nate and how tight his processes have to be, I find this very strange. Now if you consider how much sugar would need to be added for natural carbonation/conditioning, it would add about 0.20-0.30% ABV which could take you from the value from just grain to the value in the can. Based on numerous old pictures of their breweries over the years, they’re absolutely naturally carbonation because blow off pipes/hoses can be see closed while still containing beer, so one of a few processes that could take place are:

1) start with severely underpitched S04, add T58 with 4-5 gravity points remaining, and let finish. Then add CBC-1, sugar, and dry hop while capping FV.

2) attenuate completely with severely underpitched S04. Add T58, sugar, and dry hop while capping FV to carbonate

When to cold crash and such still have to be determined in these, but it would answer a few questions we’ve debated for some time.

So after my blend experiments matured for a couple of weeks, I cant say I was blown away by the flavors. Compared to the Verdant yeast only vs a mix of t58 and s04, I highly preferred the verdant yeast. Not only did it have a much more tropical character it also didnt clear as much up as the other batches did.
Next experiment I will be blending s-33

Why do you say that? I think it’s the only yeast that all the DNA tests point towards. Also, many like @couchsending get that signature S04 aroma from TH beers. That being said, there could be some yeast that looks genetically similar I suppose, but it seems highly unlikely.
Have you drank many TH beers?

I understand everyone has different tastes. I was drinking a Sap last night from 9/22 and there is no way that the esters from that were mostly S-04. So unique. Unless that house flavor just comes from a certain malt or hop. We’ve all messed with S-04 for some time and no one has really hit the nail on the head. So many brewery’s out there use that yeast and you don’t hear of any other beers resembling TH aroma.

Have you drank many TH beers?

I’m fortunate to live 35 minutes away, so yes I have. There’s some very green, Julius, haze, and super treat in my fridge now.

I understand everyone has different tastes. I was drinking a Sap last night from 9/22 and there is no way that the esters from that were mostly S-04. So unique. Unless that house flavor just comes from a certain malt or hop. We’ve all messed with S-04 for some time and no one has really hit the nail on the head. So many brewery’s out there use that yeast and you don’t hear of any other beers resembling TH aroma.

I agree we haven’t had perfect results yet but I think that’s got to be process. If we assume all the DNA tests are wrong, what yeast do you think?

I’m fortunate to live 35 minutes away, so yes I have. There’s some very green, Julius, haze, and super treat in my fridge now.

I agree we haven’t had perfect results yet but I think that’s got to be process. If we assume all the DNA tests are wrong, what yeast do you think?
Nice! I forgot to mention that Sap has dropped almost clear and still has that TH nose.
Possibly some kind of Belgian yeast that creates that bubblegum ester that a lot of people have been tasting for years. This might be what contributes to their house taste. Not just s04. There are so many Belgian yeasts that none of us have even messed with yet. I’m going to start trying every single one. I'll make a list and post it here. Maybe we can assign each yeast to anyone interested in this thread. Then can even go as far as different pitch rate and temp per member.
Per this, I decided to try a separate ferment of t-58 and iyo citrus (the same strain as 644) and so far it smells amazing. No off phenols like wb06 produces. I’ll dry hop it in a couple of days
Any update on this?

If we assume all the DNA tests are wrong, what yeast do you think?

Wasn't there a thought at some point that they might have changed yeast around the time of the move (or earlier?). We shouldn't regard these things as fixed forever, and it's certainly pretty normal for small breweries to take the easy route and buy in dry yeast in their early years, then when they have room/cash for a lab and yeast propagation, they bring most of their yeast work inhouse.

Wasn't there a thought at some point that they might have changed yeast around the time of the move (or earlier?). We shouldn't regard these things as fixed forever, and it's certainly pretty normal for small breweries to take the easy route and buy in dry yeast in their early years, then when they have room/cash for a lab and yeast propagation, they bring most of their yeast work inhouse.

That’s true, but the cans tested this year confirm S04 right @Clyde McCoy ?

Nice! I forgot to mention that Sap has dropped almost clear and still has that TH nose.
Possibly some kind of Belgian yeast that creates that bubblegum ester that a lot of people have been tasting for years. This might be what contributes to their house taste. Not just s04. There are so many Belgian yeasts that none of us have even messed with yet. I’m going to start trying every single one. I'll make a list and post it here. Maybe we can assign each yeast to anyone interested in this thread. Then can even go as far as different pitch rate and temp per member.

Any update on this?
I never considered Sap to have the signature TH flavor and thought it was an average IPA. More recently I’ve noticed it clearly has some of that TH flavor, and in my opinion, is a much better beer. I would agree that the majority of that specific flavor is not coming from S04, but I’m still under the impression that’s it’s the ‘base’ yeast in their core beers.

I think one of the clues we need to focus on is that the ‘house’ flavor is always the same. If it’s purely yeast driven, I could see a different yeast being added with sugar late in the process. If it’s dependent on hops, and some form of bio transformation, I have to think there’s another vessel involved - maybe just kraussening. Otherwise you’re going to get different flavors from a Citra heavy beer to Galaxy heavy beer for example.

As Northern Brewer says, and I mentioned a few pages back, do we know for sure they use dry yeasts? If yes, then one can be quite confident the 'S04-like' isolate is S04, as I'm not sure there are that many other Beer 1 - UK dried strains. If liquid yeasts are an option, you'll see that most Beer 1 - UK strains will produce very similar interdelta fingerprints (see page 96 for some high resolution examples), especially if run on agarose gels.

As Northern Brewer says, and I mentioned a few pages back, do we know for sure they use dry yeasts? If yes, then one can be quite confident the 'S04-like' isolate is S04, as I'm not sure there are that many other Beer 1 - UK dried strains. If liquid yeasts are an option, you'll see that most Beer 1 - UK strains will produce very similar interdelta fingerprints (see page 96 for some high resolution examples), especially if run on agarose gels.
Yes! I agree with your post on page 96. Might not even be s04 even tho it might look like it on the DNA tests. We should ferment with those other suggested yeasts. Here some yeast to try:
WLP570
WLP644
WLP540
WLP500
WLP400
WLP028 - Melon and pear esters?
Dennys Favorite – for malt and mouth feel?
Also, as @echoALEia has mentioned, maybe over pitch t-58/wb-04. I haven’t tried this.
Who wants to start?

Yes! I agree with your post on page 96. Might not even be s04 even tho it might look like it on the DNA tests. We should ferment with those other suggested yeasts. Here some yeast to try:
WLP570
WLP644
WLP540
WLP500
WLP400
WLP028 - Melon and pear esters?
Dennys Favorite – for malt and mouth feel?
Also, as @echoALEia has mentioned, maybe over pitch t-58/wb-04. I haven’t tried this.
Who wants to start?

But are we just throwing out the theory that Nate introduced underpitched S04 to Toppling Goliath?

But are we just throwing out the theory that Nate introduced underpitched S04 to Toppling Goliath?
Even so, that was 2014 and no TG beer tastes anything like TH. A lot has changed since then I'm sure. Even if they had their house flavor (yeast) back then, you think Nate was gonna give away his secret to another brewery?

Even so, that was 2014 and no TG beer tastes anything like TH. A lot has changed since then I'm sure. Even if they had their house flavor (yeast) back then, you think Nate was gonna give away his secret to another brewery?

Great point. I’ve tried to see what other yeasts are similar on the genetic tree to S04, T58, and WB06 and have been tested in this thread, but I’m having trouble finding the list. @isomerization and @Clyde McCoy do you happen to have lists of other yeasts that you’ve tested? You both have been the all stars in this yeast search.

*Edit* post #3325 has all of @isomerization tested yeasts, but he has admitted some may have been contaminated, including WLP644. I still don’t know of any others @Clyde McCoy has tested or if there’s a database we (as in anyone) can access to check the TH yeasts against.

Last edited:

Any update on this?
To make a long story short - more testing needs to be done. The aroma from the keg was amazing. When I blended it into the main batch it wasn’t bad, but not signature treehouse. The main batch may be the problem though with that, because it was a repitch of the farmhouse NEIPA blend and s-33.

Concerning more wb06/t58, and s04 (underpitched), I think more testing needs to be done as well. I had fusels in it but I didn’t control the temp. When I added it to my main underpitched s04 batch it was wonderful in terms of aroma and haze - it really maintained the hop aroma. Flavor is fine.

So more testing on my end. I think there might be something to wlp644/iyo citrus if they are the same strain.

Most people here have seen this, but figured I’d post it anyway. It’s the yeast genome tree many reference.

http://beer.suregork.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Brewing_yeast_tree_Oct_2019.pdf
The closest yeasts to S04 on that tree have never been tested in this thread, so perhaps one of them looks the same genetically but with slightly different characteristics. T58, however, doesn’t have any real close relatives, so that old can of very green it “took over” from 2019 that was tested in 2020 seems like it would actually be T58. I also don’t think there’s anything stopping them from using multiple brands of yeast, so WLP644 is interesting. WLP540 is POF+ but we know treehouse dregs have given us clove in the past anyway.

Also, here’s 2 old blog posts on Treehouse by people back in 2014. I’ve poured over the Brewbokeh one and you can see what beers are in each fermenter, the date they were brewed, and you can see based on the butterfly valves that the fermenter with Sap was capped and no longer allowed gas to escape by day 7. This guy was at TH on May 9, 2014, based on an Instagram post of his.

http://brewbokeh.com/place-treehouse.html
https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/blo...finds-fertile-ground-in-western-masachussetts

Last edited:
We know they insisted on underpitching s04 on the TG collab, I believe it’s known they use us05 in their bright beers, it’s been said people have seen them pitching bricks of dry yeast, people have said Nate used dry yeast in his homebrew days, multiple dna tests show s04 like results, their core beers have characteristics of s04...everything points to s04 doing the heavy lifting. Nothing points against. So why would we conclude they aren’t using s04???

We know they insisted on underpitching s04 on the TG collab, I believe it’s known they use us05 in their bright beers, it’s been said people have seen them pitching bricks of dry yeast, people have said Nate used dry yeast in his homebrew days, multiple dna tests show s04 like results, their core beers have characteristics of s04...everything points to s04 doing the heavy lifting. Nothing points against. So why would we conclude they aren’t using s04???
Not concluding but just thinking outside the box. We know that flavor is not coming just from just s04. At least I think that. Yes maybe it could be one of the yeast but it’s not what is contributing to that TH flavor. Again unless it’s a specific malt or hop or a combination of all. I think the focus should be on a yeast that produces that house flavor. Then go from there. It would be interesting to test one of their beers that uses a clean ale yeast. That would put a lot of this to rest.

Great point. I’ve tried to see what other yeasts are similar on the genetic tree to S04, T58, and WB06 and have been tested in this thread, but I’m having trouble finding the list. @isomerization and @Clyde McCoy do you happen to have lists of other yeasts that you’ve tested? You both have been the all stars in this yeast search.

*Edit* post #3325 has all of @isomerization tested yeasts, but he has admitted some may have been contaminated, including WLP644. I still don’t know of any others @Clyde McCoy has tested or if there’s a database we (as in anyone) can access to check the TH yeasts against.

Based on the heavy lifting from @isomerization , I only tested Fermentis strains. S-04, T-58, WB-06, US-05, S-33, K-97. I also tested Lalvin 71B.

S-04 and T-58 showed identical banding profiles to TH isolates. I'm less certain about WB-06. Yes, 2020 cans (generously provided by members here).

@suregork is right to point out the “very similar interdelta fingerprints” of other strains.

Still, it would strike me as quite a coincidence that two different Fermentis strains just happen to match TH isolates.

I will probably do more testing soon.

Just to be clear, no contamination was suspected with the any of the yeasts other than the WLP644 strain. All of the dry yeasts, WL and Wyeast strains were from unopened packages. I did not test different colonies though, so (remote) possibility remains that the colony I choose was not representative of the strain.

FWIW I had King Sue from TG lately and it definitely is reminiscent of S04 and even somewhat similar in aroma to TH.... which is where the blend comes in at TH that sets them apart from other breweries using S04.

ALSO... I liked King Sue so much I looked for a clone recipe, but did not find one. What I did find is that TG reports using S04 (as we already suspected), but other brewers in the threads said that the hallmark "twang" of S04 is less present in King Sue...which it is. Multiple have said that 1st generation S04 tends to be heaviest in twang. So... remember those stir plates in previous TH pictures? Maybe they aren't pitching fresh dry S04, but pitching a subsequent generation (using small tanks to prop up from a dry pitch and using dry forms of the other strains. I'm no commercial brewer so logistically I can't totally speculate how this is done based on their early pictures other than the starters in the very early pic.

I did a split batch a long time ago of LAIII and S04 that I made a starter with.... Little to no twang. Keep in mind it was a split batch but still you get the idea.

FWIW I had King Sue from TG lately and it definitely is reminiscent of S04 and even somewhat similar in aroma to TH.... which is where the blend comes in at TH that sets them apart from other breweries using S04.

ALSO... I liked King Sue so much I looked for a clone recipe, but did not find one. What I did find is that TG reports using S04 (as we already suspected), but other brewers in the threads said that the hallmark "twang" of S04 is less present in King Sue...which it is. Multiple have said that 1st generation S04 tends to be heaviest in twang. So... remember those stir plates in previous TH pictures? Maybe they aren't pitching fresh dry S04, but pitching a subsequent generation (using small tanks to prop up from a dry pitch and using dry forms of the other strains. I'm no commercial brewer so logistically I can't totally speculate how this is done based on their early pictures other than the starters in the very early pic.

I did a split batch a long time ago of LAIII and S04 that I made a starter with.... Little to no twang. Keep in mind it was a split batch but still you get the idea.
I have done S04 starters in the past and have had exactly the same experience. It really cuts down on the twang. It would not surprise me at all if TH is fermenting separate batches for blending and then repitching (or top-cropping/harvesting before adding secondary strains).

Last edited:
First new gels in a while, looks like Very Green contains the same minor strains as Julius/jjjuliusss. Still trying to get better resolution with potential WB-06 and F-2 strains. Not screening the small green colonies on the WLN plates, they always match S-04's profile.

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 5.35.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 5.35.36 PM.png

First new gels in a while, looks like Very Green contains the same minor strains as Julius/jjjuliusss. Still trying to get better resolution with potential WB-06 and F-2 strains. Not screening the small green colonies on the WLN plates, they always match S-04's profile.

View attachment 706861

View attachment 706862

Appreciate you continuing this work @Clyde McCoy ! Do you or anyone have some theories as to what yeast blend/pitch schedule may produce what we're seeing with the yeasts? For example, S04 flocs the best, so it makes sense the dregs of fresh cans are mostly that, but if T58 is pitched late or at dry hop, wouldn't it be most of what's left in suspension, therefore meaning we should see more of it making it into cans?

Interesting MBAA podcast today on killer yeast and diastaticus strains... said that CBC-1, even though it’s killer, didn’t have a significant affect on most diastaticus strains. However “other” killer strains err more effective on preventing diastaticus overattenuation.

Hi there long time lurker... Been following this for years... plenty of brews under my belt... I believe that s-04 is the yeast being used along with some techniques such as under pitching and sealed fermenters for natural carbonation. I am suspicious that there are also some enzymes at play. I don't see s-04 or t-58 getting down to 1.014 without some assistance even at lower mash temps. Since the both attenuate to about 75%. Cant find the attenuation profile for F2. so that maybe part of it. I did see written on the dry erase board back in Monson Bioglucanase TX while this isn't an enzyme used for conversion it does show that Nate is using enzymes in his process. Who is to say they aren't being used elsewhere along the process?

Dry hopping during active fermentation will cause hop creep and a higher level of apparent attenuation.

There's a TG thread on this forum and people in there are saying that the KS uses 007 and not s04 FWIW.

Bioglucanase® TX is a high performance glucanase enzyme system derived from Trichoderma reesei which contains hemicellulase side activities. It is used to improve run-off and filtration for grists containing high molecular weight glucan, or for grists containing a portion of unmalted grains. hmm

They’re dry hopping during fermentation.. 1.014 is very easily attainable with hop creep and S04/T-58
Agreed. but hop creep tends to blow off diacetyl and i detect no diacetyl in their beers... ADLC is another enzyme used in production to remove the precursors of diacetyl. i don't think they are raising the temps back up on fermenters to chew thru the diacetyl. I have seen their temps set at 68 for ferm, then 62 for what i assume to be dry hop then at crash through out the course of 2 weeks on same tank...this was back in Monson before they started covering the temp controller near the door.
So back to my original point... We know that TH is using enzymes and we know that there are enzymes that are responsible for biotransformation. In fact Lallamand just released one that is intended solely for this purpose. Who is to say that TH hasn't figured out a way to increase biotransformation thru enzymes.... of course this is speculation.

Agreed. but hop creep tends to blow off diacetyl and i detect no diacetyl in their beers... ADLC is another enzyme used in production to remove the precursors of diacetyl. i don't think they are raising the temps back up on fermenters to chew thru the diacetyl. I have seen their temps set at 68 for ferm, then 62 for what i assume to be dry hop then at crash through out the course of 2 weeks on same tank...this was back in Monson before they started covering the temp controller near the door.
So back to my original point... We know that TH is using enzymes and we know that there are enzymes that are responsible for biotransformation. In fact Lallamand just released one that is intended solely for this purpose. Who is to say that TH hasn't figured out a way to increase biotransformation thru enzymes.... of course this is speculation.

Pretty sure you’ve got it backwards. If it is S04 that they’re using they would be fermenting at a lower temp to begin with then raising towards the end at which point they’d be adding hops and capping to naturally carbonate the beers. Yes hop creep can cause diacetyl but if you’re adding the hops before or at the same time as a diacetyl rest you just need to wait a few extra days until the beer is negative for it before you cool. Yes they are probably using ALDC as are most commercial hoppy beer breweries by now.

On a side note I did just have one of the more enjoyable Tree House beers I’ve had in a while... Juice Project, Citra + Amarillo. They only add a small amount of extract in the kettle, no WP additions, and then one huge dry hop at cold temps for a short time. It could be a bit more bitter but it didn’t have that overpowering bready yeast ester that they all tend to have and you could actually pick out the hops.

I think this is certainly something we should pursue based on the results we've had. They're absolutely capping fermenters at some point, most likely by day 7. They believe in biotransformation in their core beers. Also, after taking a look at this photo they shared on their website photo stream, its clear theyre both dry hopping and cold crashing BEFORE going to the brite tank. The caption states this beer is super treat on its way to the brite, and the condensation on the outside tells us its been crashed already. Obviously, that color can only come after dry hopping as well.

There may be some enzyme that 1) helps with mouthfeel 2) helps with biotransformation or 3) shuts down diastaticus yeast

1605705473641.png

Pretty sure you’ve got it backwards. If it is S04 that they’re using they would be fermenting at a lower temp to begin with then raising towards the end at which point they’d be adding hops and capping to naturally carbonate the beers. Yes hop creep can cause diacetyl but if you’re adding the hops before or at the same time as a diacetyl rest you just need to wait a few extra days until the beer is negative for it before you cool. Yes they are probably using ALDC as are most commercial hoppy beer breweries by now.

On a side note I did just have one of the more enjoyable Tree House beers I’ve had in a while... Juice Project, Citra + Amarillo. They only add a small amount of extract in the kettle, no WP additions, and then one huge dry hop at cold temps for a short time. It could be a bit more bitter but it didn’t have that overpowering bready yeast ester that they all tend to have and you could actually pick out the hops.
How do you know it’s one huge dry hop at cold temps for a short time? Not saying you’re wrong, just curious how you know that. The only info I can find is in the description on their website, and it doesn’t go into quite that level of detail.

How do you know it’s one huge dry hop at cold temps for a short time? Not saying you’re wrong, just curious how you know that. The only info I can find is in the description on their website, and it doesn’t go into quite that level of detail.

Read the description for Thankful..

Back