isinglass before bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zokfend

Reaction score
has anybody had any issues with bottling (and getting carbonated beer) when they've used isinglass in the primary?

thanks!

I've only used isinglass in wines, so can't say. I have used gelatin after fermentation and before bottling/carbonation without any issues, if that's a better option for you. Bumping this in case others might have experience with isinglass in beer.

Thanks for the reply, pappers. I guess there's only one way to find out. I'll report back on how it turns out.

just thought i'd follow up on this. the isinglass works pretty darn well in pulling extra solids down. i ended up racking half into secondary, then poured one packet of isinglass in, and racked the rest. then i gave it another 3 weeks. no off-flavors or fishiness at all.

problem is that i think it DID impact bottle-conditioning. i primed for 2.5+ c02 volumes (probably a tad high for that style), but it never reached even half that. it's not flat, but it's not carbonated. after about 1.5 months in the bottle, i don't think it's going to get any more carbonation.

i've not used carbonation tablets before, but i don't mind popping every single top and recapping them all if it means i get carbonation (because the beer is good!)

any suggestions? and has anybody had experience using those carbonation tablets?

thanks!

final follow up on this. the carbonation turned out just a 'tad' less than what i had wanted, but i really mean just a 'tad'. everything is fine. hopefully others who stumble upon this thread with the same dilemma will be encouraged to give isinglass a try. no fishy bladdery after-taste, no weird film in the beer. all is well.

Latest posts

Back