Is wort caramelization a real danger?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, as I wrote in my prevoius post in my RIMS equipment I use a 220V/1500W heater made in AISI316 inox steel with a density of 6,8W/cm2. I use a solar project pump with a maximum flow of 11 lt/min.
The problem (I'ma afraid it is) is that when the wort reaches the temperature of about 60 grades degrees I start to hear a strange "noise" arriving from inside the tube when the heater is ON from few seconds....I try to explain what I mean with "noise" but you have to be patient because I'm afraid that my English is not as good as I would it to be...well, let's start: have you never noticed the noise (again) of the water when it's about to boil in a big pot? Well this is (about) the noise I hear...it could almost looks like the frying noise....do you think (as I do) that this could produce a wort caramelization (the scorching wich causes the noise of course not the noise itself :p)? If yes how could I remedy? At now I can't change the heater...perhaps improving the flow of the pump (changing it)?
In your opinion what could be the wort effect of this kind of caramelization? A major Mallard effect could make a darker beer but this could not be a particular problem, but in terms of flavour?
Thanks for any answer (and I apologize for my English!)
Have a beer day!
Andrea

I get that "frying" noise even when my elements are just heating pure water. I think this is just a common sound that these heaters make, so I wouldn't be too concerned!

little 'micro-boiling' on the surface of the element, nothing to worry about. I get it with water more than wort, actually. Perhaps due to the thickness of the wort.

Back