Is three weeks too long in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is three weeks too long in primary?

Nope - no problem at all. I've gone nearly 2 months (long story), and those were some of my best beers.

Once you are done fermenting, you can also cold-crash for a few days, which will help clean it up, as well.

I leave almost all of mine in primary for three weeks. Since I bottle, I like the extra assurance that fermentation if finished. (I still check to be sure gravity is stable.) I left one for two months when I had surgery, and it was fine.

It's not too long, but it's also not necessary for most beers.

If FG is reached on day 5, you're just wasting time past that point.

Yeast do things other than convert sugar to alcohol...

While I do agree that some beers can be bottled in a week, I think it is always best to leave the beer in primary to let the yeast clean up especially if you are tasting some green apple. Let the beer temp rise up a little after 4 to 6 days and let the yeast clean up all those off flavors they produce when creating alcohol.

I think most people ferment for 2 to 3 weeks. 2 weeks may be a little more common than 3 weeks but 3 weeks is perfect too. If you use pure O2, make a starter and have good fermentation temp control, 2 weeks should be all you need. If any of those variables are off, 3 weeks may be better for your beer.

Not too long. But longer than needed. Once your yeast eat all the sugars they can, usually 5-7 days, any longer will not lower the FG any further. A few days past reaching final gravity will allow the yeast time enough to do everything they are going to do.

Yeast do things other than convert sugar to alcohol...

Sure they do- but that "work" is done within about 24 hours after reaching FG, generally in 5-7 days. Nothing is happening after that, except for clearing (which is really something most of us want).

Dormant yeast don't do anything, so there is no big advantage to letting the beer sit on the trub- unless you like the flavor imparted by a longer contact time on the trub. Many do, and just as many do not.

I'm in the "do not" camp. I generally leave most "regular" ales in the fermenter 10-14 days, going to the longer end if I'm dryhopping.

I think everybody show try it- split a batch in half and leave one in the fermenter for 8-10 days and the other have for 3-4 weeks, and compare the flavor differences. See which you prefer, and then make that your standard practice.

It's not too long but not entirely necessary either.

I try to get mine out after two weeks but there have been times when I haven't which is because I couldn't be bothered or didn't have the time. There were also a few times when I knew the yeast wasn't done as I'd fermented low on purpose and got a slow fermentation.

I think Yooper's advice is pretty good. See what you prefer and do that.

For those of us that bottle, can we expect the yeast to do some "clean up" in the bottle as well?

I've typically left my beer in the primary for 2 weeks, secondary for 1-2 weeks, then bottle.

Right now I have a batch going that will be primary for 10 days, dry hopped at 3 days, (was at an SG of 1.012), cold crash/geltain for 4 days, then bottle. So 2 weeks between pitching and bottling.

If it works out then I will stick with this method since it frees up my equipment for more brews.

Depends on how you take care of your yeast. If you maintain good temp control and pitch enough yeast, then you're wasting time. If it's fermenting in the 70s and you're just throwing in a pack of yeast without making a starter, then you probably need those 3 weeks to clear out some of those off flavors.

These are the unknowns for me.I brewed an Irish red twice and kegged after 10/14 days.I just carbed up the exact same recipe for the third time after being on the yeast for over a month temp controlled and it was so much better than the other two.Was it the longer time on the yeast or just longer conditioning in general.Not sure but Ill be leaving my Irish reds on the yeast longer from now on.

Does your yeast say it's done? 3 weeks is a pretty decent time for everything to happen. Often times I'll cold crash at day 10 given the right yeast and conditions. Other times it takes 2-3 weeks to hit fg.

Several years back, I made a Skull Splitter clone, and needless to say, it was a very heavy beer. It actively fermented for over a month, so I would say you're ok.

Once I hit FG I fine with gelatin and get it into the keg ASAP. There is no point in sitting on trub if you are a day or two past FG

I agree. I would raise the temperature a bit in the final day or two, but once FG is reached (plus a day or two), you are ready to keg/bottle. It could take 7 days or 20 days, but I would go by gravity, not time.

Those who say that there is no harm leaving beer condition for an extra couple of weeks after terminal gravity is reached - perhaps, as long as your fermenter is completely sealed and your airlock is working properly. Otherwise you are slowly oxidizing your beer (since yeast is no longer active, there is no positive CO2 pressure always exiting, some oxygen will find its way and start diffusing into the beer). Especially true for buckets, I would never trust those lids.

Sure they do- but that "work" is done within about 24 hours after reaching FG, generally in 5-7 days. Nothing is happening after that, except for clearing (which is really something most of us want).

Dormant yeast don't do anything, so there is no big advantage to letting the beer sit on the trub- unless you like the flavor imparted by a longer contact time on the trub. Many do, and just as many do not.

I'm in the "do not" camp. I generally leave most "regular" ales in the fermenter 10-14 days, going to the longer end if I'm dryhopping.

I think everybody show try it- split a batch in half and leave one in the fermenter for 8-10 days and the other have for 3-4 weeks, and compare the flavor differences. See which you prefer, and then make that your standard practice.

Interesting. I was under the impression that fermentation by products were still being cleaned up several days after FG has been reached. I'm actually in the "less yeast character" preferring camp for most of my beers, so less time in the fermenter would be great.

Interesting. I was under the impression that fermentation by products were still being cleaned up several days after FG has been reached. I'm actually in the "less yeast character" preferring camp for most of my beers, so less time in the fermenter would be great.

What yooper is saying assumes you've taken care of your yeast. Once it hits fg, it really doesn't take long for it to clean it up. Tasting it is the best way to learn what's going on. If you taste it right when it hits fg, you'll probably get some acetaldehyde and maybe some diacetyl. See how's long it takes for that to go away. Usually a day or two for me.

If it needs weeks longer in primary for an average abv beer, maybe you underpitched or it got too warm during fermentation. Taste it and it will tell you when it's ready.

Back