Is this suitable ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That depends on the amount you are fermenting... Personally I would go w/the brewers best buckets that you can find in MOST LBHS, and even online as they give more head space if doing 5 gal batches... And cost about the same amount...

While the description certainly sounds like it is an acceptable material, you would have to ask the seller if the interior surface is smooth. I would assume it is, I haven't seen a food grade container that is not smooth.

A different issue to consider, it has a 5 gallon capacity. You will not be able to ferment 5 gallons of wort in there without making a mess. You need headspace for the krausen to rise. I prefer 6.5 gllon buckets. Everyone sells them. For the $16 for that bucket on ebay, look at these:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/6-5-gallon-plastic-fermenter-with-lid.html Watch for specials or flat rate shipping.

That seems like a waste of money.

Depending on where you live you have a few better options. You can order from Midwest or Northern brewer, etc. and add in the 6.5g bucket next time you order. The smaller buckets are good for 4g batches, unless you have a Burton Union type system. Or you can get one from a lhbs if you have one. Lastly, I get my food grade hpde buckets from Lowes for 4$ and spend another 3$ on the air tight lid.

One last suggestion, try grocery or hardware stores for even lower prices. I have heard of bakeries and grocery stores giving food grade buckets away for free. I went to an Ace hardware/grocery and got an hpde bucket (used to ship onions and had no smell) and air tight lid for 3$ all together.

Hope this helps,

The Volume is O.K. for me because my batches are smaller than 5 Gallons .

It was impossible to ask the seller as eBay doesn't give the opportunity by this item to do so .

My main problem is that I need such a bucket but with No Printing on it. Therefore , I can't buy

from any LHBS .

I'd also like to be sure that the inner surface has no scratches .

Hector

The Volume is O.K. for me because my batches are smaller than 5 Gallons .

It was impossible to ask the seller as eBay doesn't give the opportunity by this item to do so .

The usual link for asking a question of the seller is on the listing, just above the "People who bought this item also bought" section.

Do you have a local dairy? There is one near me that sells buckets that had coffee syrup or chocolate etc in them for $1.50 ea. And, as already said you might find a place that will give you some. I'd bet that is the same bucket that you could find at hardware stores.

The usual link for asking a question of the seller is on the listing, just above the "People who bought this item also bought" section.

I'm a regular buyer at eBay and familiar with such things .

As I clicked "Ask a question" , eBay said the following :

We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, this seller is not able to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing.

Hector

Do you have a local dairy? There is one near me that sells buckets that had coffee syrup or chocolate etc in them for $1.50 ea. And, as already said you might find a place that will give you some.

I don't live in the U.S.

I asked the question about the inner surface from another seller who sells similar item and this is the answer :

The inside is smooth, but during manufacturing and processing their may be some very light scuffs from dust particles and such, so I can not say 0%, but maybe 1% if any.

This can actually happen to all food grade buckets .

So , how is it possible that the buckets by brew shops are free of scratches ?!

Hector

They're not. Some light marring is just inevitable and it's not going to cause your beer to go on a murder spree in times square. If your batches are 4g or smaller, that bucket should be fine.

Latest posts

Back