Is this screw up fixable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mischief_Brewing

Reaction score
First off, my apologies for not being around here much lately. My work moved to a new location and sneaking a peek at HBT is way tougher than it used to be at my new desk.

Anyway. Here's my screwup...

I had a half keg of rootbeer left after our party and I needed the chest freezer it was in to ferment a rye wheat I brewed last weekend. I moved it to the open space in the keezer and hooked it up to the split CO2 line in there. Unfortunately there are no check valves and the 30 psi bled into the 11 psi beers, one of them being my contest entry for the pilsner urquell contest. Now that one and what's left of my belgian blonde have a rootbeer nose. The flavor didn't bleed through, but the smell is definitely there.

I've bled the keg twice, thinking I can degas the rootbeer smell.

So far nope.

Any thoughts? Am I screwed?

Thanks in advance for all your mockery...err...I mean help...

You've disconnected the root beer keg, right?

Try upping the carbonation on the Belgian blond, bring it to room temp, degas, chill, and carbonate at desired rate. Or, bring to room temperature, transfer to another keg, and carbonate.

I suggest bringing to room temp as cold liquids will hold more gas than warm.

Good luck.

An update, in case anybody is lame enough to make the same mistake...

I dicsonnected the gas and popped the pressure release on the keg and left it in the keezer like that for 3 days. I closed the pressure release and reconnected the gas and tried a sample last night. After only a week, it's still pretty carbonated and the rootbeer smell is all but gone. There's a hint of sweetness in the nose now, but it's not identifiable and it blends well with the maltiness.

My full batch with the same ingredients and process as this one is nearing its diacetyl rest and then will get about 5 weeks of lagering before I have to keg it. Competition deadlines keep me from being lazy I guess...

Back