Is this overkill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambogi76

Reaction score
Im in the process of building a HERMS now... it is the average HERMS so I won't go in all of the details. But I love the idea of insulating the MLT even though it is constantly heating and recirculating. I am going to take my keggle and place it into a plastic 55 gallon drum that is cut down to the size of the keggle height. Then Im going to fill the voided space with Great Stuff spray in foam. This will be ~3 inches of insulation all around the MLT. I will use a foam lid to fit the keggle. I just want to be sure that the temps stay consistent through the whole mash. I figure that I would loose alot of heat from the sides if I didnt. Is this worth the effort and several cans of foam? Any thoughts?

You probably won't need a herms coil with that set up unless you want to step mash.

I do want to open up to do step mashes. But I want to recirculate the mash to get clearer wort. I mash in a converted cooler now (which has ~half the insulation than my future setup) it loses ~2 degrees an hour. But some of my recipes calls for 90 min. mashes and I want to control my temps better than this without adding boiling water to maintain my temps.

I don't think you are understanding a HERMS system.

With HERMS you recirculate though the HLT(or stand alone vessel) that is controlled via a PID and electric(or gas). While recircing if the temperature of the mash goes low, it kicks on a heat source where the hex is in, and it heats the wort though the HERMS coil (exactly opposite of a wort chiller).

The insulation will reduce your energy requirements to maintain temps, but with HERMS recirculation it is not necessary.

I have a 45 gal single teir HERMS and I would strongly recommend you insulate the MLT regardless of your intention to step.

I don't see the downside of insulating at all other than effort and a few dollars and if you're that far down the path with a HERMS system, insulating the MLT isn't going to put you over the edge.

Insulating it and keeping your MTL temp relatively stable is going to do nothing but good things. My MLT is insulated and to keep a 152 degree mash circulating, I keep my HLT at about 154. You're going to lose SOMETHING in transfer and even with the insulation, you're going to bleed heat... especially now that you're pumping wort all over the place through the HERMS plumbing.

Without my MLT insulated, I was having a bear of a time keeping my mash temp exactly stable and would have to keep playing with my HLT temps to keep it up... then you start overshooting... undershooting... and never mind trying to step.

One thing you'll have to do if you want to step is probably shut down the HERMS circing for a few minutes while the HLT comes up to temp to assist in the step... every minute your MLT sits without circulating... and not being insulated... you're losing heat.

Again... I would definitely recommend insulating it.

I fully understand a HERMS, I have done alot of research on this and I see some who insulate and some who don't. I just haven't seen people use this much insulation. I just think, even though this is a herms, insulation will only help me to maintain a steady mash temp easier. And will enable me to raise the mash temp up faster in a step mash. The only downside is that the MLT will be bigger, bulkier, and not as pretty. But im not out to win a beauty contest... just want to brew the best beer I can and be able to be repeatable.

I think my insulated MLT is kinda pretty... I went with a "barrel style".

It is about two inch thick rings of extruded foam insulation (the hard board stuff) wrapped around the MTL and then covered to kinda look like a barrel.

If i was a better woodworker it would look really nice.

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=36539&title=rig-version-2-0&cat=500

either way... I don't think it is overkill and I would recommend insulating it based on my experience.

He's said "with HERMS recirculation it (the insulation) is not necessary."

Thanks Walker. I thought it was just a snide comment, but apparently he misinterpreted my sentence.

Cape Brewing said:
I think my insulated MLT is kinda pretty... I went with a "barrel style".

It is about two inch thick rings of extruded foam insulation (the hard board stuff) wrapped around the MTL and then covered to kinda look like a barrel.

If i was a better woodworker it would look really nice.

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=36539&title=rig-version-2-0&cat=500

either way... I don't think it is overkill and I would recommend insulating it based on my experience.

That is pretty sweet looking... but that wood looks alot better than what my plastic jacket is going to look like. Ill just have to decorate it or something when im finished.
But that is what im thinking... when im out doing my mash and its 45 degrees or so, it is going to suck alot of heat out of the mash through the bare metal sides. So I want to use some kind of insulation.

hang some xmas ornaments on it or something... :p

yeah... especially when it is cold out. Not to keep beating a dead horse but I don't see how it is going to HURT and... with my rig... I had it without insulation and it was a nightmare (and yes... my HX is sufficient... yada yada yada).... I insulated it and it made things a ton easier and less stressful.

If he hell bent on insulating his MLT this would be a better option. I use one on my MLT and it works great.

http://thekegkoozy.com/

koozy_photo-2-w-diagram.jpg

I agree that insulation has many benefits. That said, I would recommend making something easily removable such as the above Keg Koozy. I think your proposed method will be a PITA when you are cleaning the MT. It will be heavy and bulky. My $0.02

I agree that insulation has many benefits. That said, I would recommend making something easily removable such as the above Keg Koozy. I think your proposed method will be a PITA when you are cleaning the MT. It will be heavy and bulky. My $0.02

+1 The Keg Koozy simply zippers on and off.

stevehaun said:

This is very true... I figure I would be adding another 20 .lbs or so to the weight a definate down side. I see alot of people use bubble wrap insulation. I haven't seen anyone use that keg koozy before. Can anyone say that this is a good option that has used it for this application?

And I didn't like the fact that this would be permanent. If I do this and I don't like it... there is no easy way of getting this foam off. But nothing is going to beat the R value... but is the extra R value worth it?

This is very true... I figure I would be adding another 20 .lbs or so to the weight a definate down side. I see alot of people use bubble wrap insulation. I haven't seen anyone use that keg koozy before. Can anyone say that this is a good option that has used it for this application?

Re-read post #15. I use it and I like it. It is simply a neoprene jacket that can be unzipped and removed and installed easily.

Latest posts

Back