Is This Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satokad

Reaction score
About 8 weeks ago, I mixed up a batch of basic mead using 3# honey, bottled water, nutrient, and K1-V1116 yeast. After 4 1/2 weeks, I racked it into a secondary container. When I did that, it restarted the fermentation for a bit. Now, at 8 weeks, I went to sample it and saw a little stuff on top including some medium-sized bubbles that just sit there.
Did I make a mistake somewhere or is this normal?
Thanks.

View media item 69904

Looks like pictures I've seen of beginning pellicles. I think she be infected. The large amount of headspace probably has something to do with it.

Take a hydrometer reading and sample it. How does it taste? Does it taste "off?" I have heard from some meadmakers who state that large bubbling on top just shows some excess CO2 in the mead.

I would say:
1. Hydrometer reading
2. Taste test
3. If tastes fine without off-flavors, degas

I wasn't sure about the amount of headspace. I had a melomel blow out the airlock when I went higher. Someone said they just use a bucket with a towel over it so I figured I'd be OK with a little more room in the jug. I never removed the airlock so I assumed the space remained filled with CO2 (but I'm new at this so everything I think I know may be wrong).

I did a bit of research before starting in with my 1gallon batches of fruit wines and mead. Here's what I do based on that:
Start the fermentation in a regular plastic bucket and stir to degas a couple times daily. When the fermentation is finished (usually 1 week or so, based on activity and stable SG) I rack it to a 1G jug with 1 Camden tab (to control oxygenation). It's very important to limit access to oxygen at this point, so I make sure I fill the jug up to the neck. I rerack anytime the lees are more than 1/4" thick, and finally bottle only when no more lees are being sedimented. For me, this has been 2-4 months. Each time I rack I make sure I top it off so it's up to the neck. The topoff may be some leftover that I've kept in the fridge, or if I don't have any, I'll use a commercial wine/mead similar to style. Most bacteria or wild yeast that might contaminate your product require oxygen, so if you limit the exposure you'll more likely be OK.

At this point I would just let it sit. If it is infected it will continue to grow and that will answer the question, but you have noting to lose by letting it sit.

-J-

I agree with Jack, let it sit. Headspace is only an issue after months of sitting. If you are worried about contamination, have a close look at your sanitation regimen. How well did you clean and sanitize your stuff? Further to that, could you have allowed any bacteria to get involved at any stage - loose airlock etc? The first week doesn't count cos your brewing yeast is kicking everything else to the curb (unless your already infected from poor sanitation). And i use a bucket and towel pretty much always now - for the first week, then put an airlock.

In summary then - If all is well in the cleanliness etc, then let it sit.

Or you could rack and then let it sit for another couple of months. That might work as well. Nothing to lose really

I agree with Jack, let it sit. Headspace is only an issue after months of sitting. If you are worried about contamination, have a close look at your sanitation regimen. How well did you clean and sanitize your stuff? Further to that, could you have allowed any bacteria to get involved at any stage - loose airlock etc? The first week doesn't count cos your brewing yeast is kicking everything else to the curb (unless your already infected from poor sanitation). And i use a bucket and towel pretty much always now - for the first week, then put an airlock.

In summary then - If all is well in the cleanliness etc, then let it sit.

Or you could rack and then let it sit for another couple of months. That might work as well. Nothing to lose really

I swirled it around a few weeks ago and the bubbles disappeared. I looked this morning and several new small bubbles are now floating on the top.
I’m pretty confident in my sanitation. 28 years managing food service taught me a few things. However, I will not rule out that I blew it somewhere along the way. Of the three batches I have going, I thought this was the easiest to make and had the highest chance of success. My first batch was a JAOM that’s 2+ months old. It got pretty clear but clouded up when I moved it upstairs. Fruit is still floating so I’m waiting patiently (there are co2 bubbles under the fruit which may be helping it float). The second is a strawberry melomel that blew out the airlock. I racked that a few weeks ago and it seems to be doing well.
Not sure what else to do so I guess I’ll let it sit.
Thanks.

Bubbles were back and a milky layer settled near the top. Decided to dump it and start over.
Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Never like hearing that a batch had to be dumped, but it has happened to us all. It still sucks and all you can do is figure out what happened, then move forward. Good luck finding the problem.

-J-

Back