Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtnotkirk

Reaction score
So, I started a new batch a couple of days ago. An IPA. All grain. I know I had too high a temp with my steep, but everything else went ok. The yeasties started doing their thing, but now seem to have stopped or at least slowed way down. It bubbles, but very slowly. There is a greenish scum on top of the wort. Suggestions?

1428096664630-153569254.jpg

Yes, pellets were used. 1oz. Chinook, and 2oz. Citra, at 15min intervals during boil, pitched yeast at 75°. The recipe is called Plain Jade Single Hopped IPA, so I guess the green is part of it.

Looks normal, but please, please get it out of the window so it doesn't skunk.

I was talking with a local Brewmaster here in Winston Salem, and describing my situation. He offered that because my steep temperature was too high, I might have affected the starches and sugars to the effect that the yeasties don't have enough to eat. Additionally, I moved my fermenter away from the window. I placed it on top of the dryer in the mudroom. Would vibration from a dryer have any adverse effect?

Back