Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisbliss

Reaction score
I just got a 3 way co2 manifold hooked it up. Closed off 2 of the outlets and used 1 on my hefe I just kegged. I set it at 14 psi and came back about 30 minutes later and the psi needle was dancing around 13 - 14psi - I woke this morning and it was at 11. I now have put it back to 14 and for at least 15 minutes it has held. 1st question - if i had a leak somewhere would it even hold at all? 2nd, is this type of swing normal ? Want to make sure all is well.

I've had issues with my poppets leaking but that's it. I wish I had a guage so I could actally tell where the pressure in my keg is sitting. I would think though if you had a leak then it would be flat. I realize I'm not being much help to you. :(

Having to re-adjust the regulator after the first day or two is pretty normal, especially if the regulator's in the fridge. However, a "dancing" needle often indicates an active flow of CO2. Have you leak checked?

I had s similiar issue. I was going through about 5lbs of co2 in a week or so. I checked for leaks and could not find anything. It turned out the keg was leaking. I got keg lube and put it on every o ring and connection. Now the keg has been holding co 2 for over a month without any issues.

Back