Is this normal for Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie69

Reaction score
I got this on the top of my mead in the secondary,is it normal and what is it?

IMG_9769.jpg

Also, judging form the looks of all those Co2 bubbles, you probably weren't ready for a secondary vessel as primary fermentation clearly isn't done. But yeah, no pellicle would form in that active of a ferment.

Also, judging form the looks of all those Co2 bubbles, you probably weren't ready for a secondary vessel as primary fermentation clearly isn't done. But yeah, no pellicle would form in that active of a ferment.

It's common to rack the mead before primary is finished, sometimes right after the 2/3 sugar break.

It's common to rack the mead before primary is finished, sometimes right after the 2/3 sugar break.
Not with me it isn't. .....:D

Why risk racking too early and leaving all the late stage yeast food and half the colony behind ?

I know some do, but I've learned that little is gained from that stage and there doesn't seem to be much negatives from letting the ferment finish in primary.......

Just my tuppence. ...

I'm with the bloke on this one. Racking on the 2/3 break doesn't seem to solve anything. You're likely to have a ton of yeast in suspension so you're just dumping a cup of mead for no good reason. I let it go close to 3 months (for traditionals) before racking, and I haven't had any autolysis to date.

I racked mine after about two months after hydro read flat after a few days straight. What would have changed had I racked it at the 2/3 break?

Back