Is this mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snoqualmiedan

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new kombucha brewer (7 batches), but one of my batches recently looks a little different. I brewed a 1.5 gallon batch 10 days ago and split it into two containers with their own scoby. One growing baby scoby looks completely normal, but the other looks unusual. It doesn't quite look like mold, but I'm afraid it might be. Take a look at the picture and let me know your opinion.

brew1.JPG

One of the practices I do every time is pour a last bit of starter fluid over the top of the scoby to be sure there is a decent low ph around the scoby. I also do this with my continuous brew. After finishing pouring in the fresh tea mix, I pour a cup or two right from the spigot over the scoby.

I do not know if this is more of a ritual than prevention. I like the idea of having the acid mix above or on the surface of the scoby.

Thanks for input. Definitely mold and sadly I dumped the whole batch. I do think that the major cause was not having enough mature kombucha to start.

+1 to Jim there. The starter poured on top keeps that acid where you might get problems, which is a main reason for the acid in the first place.

Back